logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Marcus  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 7, 2009 2:44:45 AM(UTC)
Marcus

I have a friend that is a priest. He is actually a counselor and he has written several books. So when I saw him last I was exited to show him my new Logos program. I thought he would find it exiting as well. He didn’t. He actually looked at me and said “ What are you going to use it for?” He said what would a “lay” person use such a program for. So I am still exited showing him the features that make studying easier and he says that would have been great when I was in school it would have made my life allot easier but I don’t have enough interest to do anything like that now. And that is when I realized. Studying scripture was not a priority for him and he did not understand why it would be a priority for someone that is not a “biblical scholar”. He did not understand that in order to get to know who God is better that you should read His books. That is when I realized that people want to get spoon fed by people that don’t want to even study scripture. I thought I would share.
Offline RidesWithYah  
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 7, 2009 3:59:50 AM(UTC)
RidesWithYah

You use the term "priest", so I assume you mean Catholic.

Don't forget that there's a view, still held by many Catholics, that lay-people read Scripture at their own risk, and are doomed to hell if they misinterpret it. Only a priest should read, so that he can explain it to the people. It's why for a l-o-n-g time, only the priests could have scripture, and only in Latin. They tried to kill Luther for translating it into German, and did kill Tynsdale (well, the King of England / head of the Anglican church did) for translating into English. So, yeah, why would YOU have Logos? Your friend is probably scared for you.
Offline Marcus  
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 7, 2009 5:13:25 AM(UTC)
Marcus

I agree. These days it is not only priest but pastors and other religious leaders. It's a belief in general that since they have been studying scripture (translate- religion) for years that they are qualified to interpret for us the uneducated what the "bible" says. It is why we are warned against such people over and over in scripture.
Offline sirgodfrey  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2009 10:35:27 AM(UTC)
sirgodfrey

Marcus wrote:
He actually looked at me and said “ What are you going to use it for?” He said what would a “lay” person use such a program for.

lol. that is hilarious. this made me smile and chuckle and laugh inwardly.
Offline James  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2009 1:18:58 PM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
marcus wrote:
He actually looked at me and said “ What are you going to use it for?” He said what would a “lay” person use such a program for.

You should have replied, So I don't have to rely on a fool like you for information.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline Matthew  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2009 11:36:50 PM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
James wrote:
You should have replied, So I don't have to rely on a fool like you for information.

Now that's a first class line James, lol...
Offline James  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, November 11, 2009 3:13:24 AM(UTC)
James
Man

I have my moments.

Offline kp  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, November 11, 2009 9:15:07 AM(UTC)
kp

In the "exception that proves the rule" department: the reason Yada and I use Logos software is that I once asked my own pastor about his favorite study tools, and he turned me onto it. I showed it to Yada, and he was on it like a duck on a june bug. So I'm here to tell ya, not every "Christian professional" is pursuing a nefarious agenda of trying to obfuscate the scriptures to their own advantage (as we sometimes tend to characterize it around here). It's just not true. There are a few (too few, of course) who genuinely desire to see their congregations come to know and follow Yahweh more closely every day.

kp
Offline Richard  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, January 27, 2010 8:20:33 AM(UTC)
Richard
Man
United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Logos software? Is it better than e-Sword? Perspiring mimes want to know.
Offline James  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, January 27, 2010 8:36:17 AM(UTC)
James
Man

flintface wrote:
Logos software? Is it better than e-Sword? Perspiring mimes want to know.

Much Much better. Mostly for the vastly larger number of resources, and the way they are linked. With Logos I can run and exegetical search on any verse, and within 30 seconds I have a word by word break down of the Hebrew, and under each word I can link to about 6 or 7 lexicons and dictionaries, and a complete breakdown of the tense, singular/plural, adj/adverb/verb/noun/etc. From what I can tell for the Greek it is even more, but i haven't messed in the Greek stuff yet, I'm sticking to Torah for now.

There are a ton of books that it comes with that are completely useless, but the good ones are worth the cost of the program. If you do get it go with the Original Languages package.