logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Robert9876  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2009 1:33:04 PM(UTC)
Robert9876

?

As someone new to all of these issues, I have a few questions.

First, where do we go from here? Meaning, I have read some of YY and FH, am in the process of reading the rest (though that will take some time), and don't JUST want to take what KP and Yada say and just believe them without doing further research. Because not only does Yahweh say to do this, it would also be disengenous to KP and Yada's wishes when they repeatedly state to check things out for ourselves. But what d0 I do, what do I read to get deeper in? Now that I know that english translations are generally bad, what do I do?

Are there non-biblical sources that can give a different perspective (albeit still CORRECT) on what YY and FH, etc. have to say? Also, are there any good biblical commentaries that I could use that would give me something?

I plan on also going back to the original texts. Unfortunately, I have limited resources. So I guess I'm asking what basic things do I need to start translating/getting deeper into the Renenwed Covenant (I'll hold off on the OC until later)?

I assume I need something like a strong's concordance, a copy of the actual manuscript(s) (also, which ones are good?), and maybe a lexicon? Do I need anything else?

Secondly, what about reading my english bible? I unfortunately never much got into that... I started again, and then stopped when I found out they were errant. Which I now realize is bad, because even if they are wrong, that doesn't mean I can't still learn from them, and that certainly doesn't mean the Set-Apart Spirit can't witness to me...

Thirdly, from reading some other topics and reading some book reviews, I was able to come up with a small list of books that will help me understand things like the Sabbath, the Genesis account, Scriptural Science, pagan roots in "Christianity", etc. I haven't purchased any of these yet, but if anyone has prior knowledge of any of these, I would love to have their feedback on them. Especially since I can't really tell anything about the book from Amazon reviews, since people often rate books based on their own prejudices or simply rate all "religious" books negatively...

CJ Koster
1.) Come Out of Her My People

Lew White
1.) Fossilized Customs
2.) Torah Zone
3.) In the Twinkling of an Eye: The End of Days

Carmen Welker
1.) Should Christians be Torah Observant?

Also, Todd D. Bennett's "Walk in the Light" series.

Frank Viola
1.) Pagan Christianity

C.H. Spurgeon
1.) Spurgeons Sermons
2.) Spurgeons Sermon Notes
3.) Lectures to My Students

Does anyone know of a good resource that really explains and goes into detail regarding pagan pracitces in Catholicism and Christianity? I found these 2 books, one for, and one against, but it appears to me, and I may be wrong, that neither is a very good source...

Alexander Hislop
1.) The two Babylons

Ralph Woodrow
1.) The Babylon Connection?

And does anyone know about this guys, James Montgomery Boice, and his commentaries? Do you know of better ones?

Thanks everybody!
As of 7-22-2009, 10:19 PM US Central Time

Earliest (possibly)
Time until Friday, September 1, 2023 (Jerusalem time)
5152 days
123665 hours
7419943 minutes

Latest (possibly)
Time until Saturday, October 31, 2026 (Jerusalem time)
6308 days
151410 hours
9084644 minutes
Offline Robert9876  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2009 2:52:05 PM(UTC)
Robert9876

And I guess if I asked about those, I'll also ask about these. Then maybe someone else doesn't have to start a whole new thread?

Antony Flew
1.) There Is a God: How the World's Most Notorious Atheist Changed His Mind

Francis S. Collins
1.) The Language of God: A Scientist Presents Evidence for Belief

Richard Dawkins
1.) The God Delusion
ALSO, does anyone know of a good book that refutes Dawkin's work directly (well, of course, other than THE good book), something I can give to my agnostic or atheist friends for them to read, instead of having me wasting countless precious hours trying to myself?

Gerald Schroeder
1.) The Science of God: The Convergence of Scientific and Biblical Wisdom
2.) God According to God: A Physicist Proves We've Been Wrong About God All Along
3.) Genesis and the Big Bang: The Discovery Of Harmony Between Modern Science And The Bible
4.) The Hidden Face of God: Science Reveals the Ultimate Truth

Thanks again!
As of 7-22-2009, 10:19 PM US Central Time

Earliest (possibly)
Time until Friday, September 1, 2023 (Jerusalem time)
5152 days
123665 hours
7419943 minutes

Latest (possibly)
Time until Saturday, October 31, 2026 (Jerusalem time)
6308 days
151410 hours
9084644 minutes
Offline bitnet  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2009 6:10:17 PM(UTC)
bitnet

Shalom,

Robert9876, you are approaching this academically and it is commendable. If I may make a suggestion: don't try too hard! "Taste and see if Yahweh is good," implies accepting His Word in small quantities in faith and wisdom, both of which you need to get from Him. Yes, learning from all those resources is great, and there are many more books and websites to learn from... but it immaterial if you do not work with what He has given you. The command was not "Go and learn ALL about Me for your salvation," it it is not imperative for you to get a PhD in YadaYahweh to become a member of His Family.

Take your time with those books, but focus on finding our what He wants us to do: "Love Yahweh with all your heart, and love each other as I have loved you." It is our attitude, not intellect, that matters most to Him. As Paul said in 1Co 13:2-3: "And if I have prophecy, and know all secrets and all knowledge, and if I have all belief, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am none at all. And if I give out all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I give my body to be burned, but do not have love, I am not profited at all."

Few people ponder on these words in depth. Even giving all possessions to feed the poor, usually construed as a benevolent act of kindness, has to be considered carefully whether it is done out of love for others or for oneself. Like I've said several times in other posts, it's not how much we know but what we do with the little we know in doing the things He asked us to do for each other and others around us.

So take your time and focus on the things that matter most to Him -- your character. Sure we are flawed and full of sin, and continue to fall everyday, but in wanting and trying to change, even a little at a time, we are becoming different from most other people. When we learn how to live for others in His Name and Way, we are truly on the right path. Continue to be immersed in His Name, and you shall have wonders opening up for you, for to those who are faithful and true to Him much shall be given but to those that are unfaithful even the little that was given shall be taken away.
The reverence of Yahweh is the beginning of Wisdom.
Offline shalom82  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2009 6:31:36 PM(UTC)
shalom82

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Shalom Robert,
I hope you are well. Bitnet has given you some good advice and there's hardly anything that I would add or for that matter should add. As bitnet said don't sweat it. Wait for your daily bread and it will be delivered. Just read the scriptures and read them trying to shed your christian religiousity. I think you know this and please don't think I am being condescending but as Robski and I were talking about the other day....when you read the scriptures....even a bad translation....you don't arrive at Christmas, Easter, and the "blessed" sacraments. Read it for what it is....just water is enough...you don't need the kool aid. To that end...I would recommend buying a copy of the scriptures such as....The Scriptures, by ISR. It may not be the most wonderful translation, but it is absent of "LORD" and that gives it merit all on it's own.

Just be careful with the books. A lot of them can have valuable information....but they have a lot of dross in them too. Also since you are of limited resources as many of us are at this congregation on the web....a lot of those books will give you redundant information. Be wary of zeal that tries to outdo YHWH.

I just wanted to say welcome to the forum and I hope that our little congregation on the web is a place where you will find fellowship, edification, and happiness.

P.S. I have not read Schroeder's book, I have only listened to some of his seminars or lectures on the internet...which are in themselves just a taste of his book. I plan on buying his books when possible. Also there is a Christian out there by the name of Perry Marshall. He brings his experience as an engineer into the creation/naturalism debate and has something to offer. His site is here
YHWH's ordinances are true, and righteous altogether.