logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline shohn  
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 5, 2007 10:40:35 AM(UTC)
shohn

I'm sure many of you have probably become what popular culture would term as "obsessive-compulsive" with all the reading and researching you are probalby doing around Yahweh's word. In fact, it is not difficult to imagine some of you up until 3 in the morning every night reading, understanding, etc. I thought I'd share one of things things that I've tried to maximize my study time, without alienating my family, and to provide additional sensory paths for learning. It stems from that idea that people learn in different ways, some are more visual, others are hearers, some need to reperform the work, some need examples, etc. Just another way to store all that information and to be more efficient about it to boot.

There is a program called, Text Aloud, which basically reads text on your computer to you.
I know Yada has posted mp3s of many chapters, but for the newer ones I've been using this program with some of the newer text to speech voices and while it certainly doesn't sound like the golden tongued orator used in Yada's mp3s, it is functional and quite understandable.

I'm also curious about different approaches - I typically take an initial first pass very quickly, then I switch on the text to speech and let it be read to me as I'm doing other things - if something catches my ear, I'll zoom in for a second and read it check the ref, etc., then I go back through and read it again a bit slower and start spot checking references, etc. Finally I slow down and read the thing and check as many refs as I can. This seems to work for me as far helping memorize and comprehend, but I was wondering if you guys have different strategies? What software tools do you use besides Wikipedia, e-sword/sword/etc., and google ;)

In addition, have you guys tried out Zotero for firefox? It is great way to save web pages offline, citations, and other documentation as you perform research.

I'm actually working on something that will link with Zotero, and the sword project, I'll see about posting a link to it here when it is closer to completion.
--
Shohn of Texas
Offline Jeannie  
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 5, 2007 2:02:47 PM(UTC)
Jeannie
Woman

shohn, this program lets you make them into mp3's http://www.naturalreader...LK28O5340CFQRuZQodSy8KmQ It's not too expensive either especially if you want to listen to them in your car.
Offline Jeannie  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 6, 2007 5:08:08 AM(UTC)
Jeannie
Woman

Swalchy, which one of these would be the best to use for making mp3's so they can be listened to. I want to do this for my husband as he has drive time to and from work. Thanks....
Offline Jeannie  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 6, 2007 1:32:40 PM(UTC)
Jeannie
Woman

Thanks Swalcy and shohn I'm sorry I side tracked your question.
Quote:
In addition, have you guys tried out Zotero for firefox? It is great way to save web pages offline, citations, and other documentation as you perform research.

I'm actually working on something that will link with Zotero, and the sword project, I'll see about posting a link to it here when it is closer to completion.

No I have not tired out Zotero but will check it out, thanks.

Edited by user Monday, August 6, 2007 4:34:30 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified