logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Robert9876  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2009 4:06:36 PM(UTC)
Robert9876

Shalom brothers and sisters,

What are some of your opinions about the so-called "emotional" evangelical movement? By "emotional" I mean being "slain" in the spirit, lifting up hands during a church service, "screaming", "roaring", "cawing", "laughing" in the spirit, etc. etc. etc. Also, what are your opinions about pentecostal, etc. denominations like Assemblies of God, etc.?

The reason I ask is because all of the things I listed (with the possible exception of raising hands) just feel... wrong to me. When I read the Scriptures, I do not get the picture of Yahweh loving chaos (and if you have ever been to a church service of one of these groups, you will know what I mean by "chaos"). I don't get the picture of Yahweh wanting His adopted sons and daughters making fools of themselves by laying on the floor and shaking. And I CERTAINTLY don't think He wants His children screaming or laughing or "roaring" when they are supposed to be in fellowship with Him, when they are supposed to be seeking Him out above all else. 2 more things... I NEVER have read of the early/Acts church doing anything remotely similar to this, and if the "spirit" as they call it is so filling them, why is our country headed down such a dark path? Even on a much smaller scale, why are they not raising the dead, why are they not healing the sick and feeding the poor? And putting aside even THAT, why are their neighbors still trapped in the darkness? Why haven't those neighborhoods changed? It smells VERY Pharicee-ish to me. Of course, I could be all wrong... but...

The way I look at it is thus... who was the greatest teacher, evangelist, healer, etc., EVER? Yahushua! Who transformed the very WORLD we live in through following Yah's weh? Yahushua! Did He ever do any of those things (the "emotional" things, i.e. babbling, being "slain" in the spirit, etc.)? Did He ever tell people to do those things? NO! In fact, He oftentimes went away secretly, alone, by Himself, to pray to Yahweh. And He got stuff done (to put it a certain way)! He didn't need to show everyone else how filled with the "spirit" he was by doing something ANYONE can do, something, to put it euphemistically, extremely silly and foolish. No, He merely depended on Yahweh and did as His father said... and people were healed!

And I could be wrong about this, but didn't He tell people not to worship Him or something? I dunno, I vaguely remember something... I'm probably wrong though. I dunno.

And when I confronted someone about this, the reason they gave me for this not being in the Renewed Covenant (although at the time we were both calling it the New testament) was that I shouldn't limit Yahweh (again though, we both said God instead of Yahweh) and I shouldn't say He wouldn't do anything new to His church. And while yea, I shouldn't put Him in a box set by my own preconcieved notions (or really in any box. can you imagine someone trying to do that?), I seriously doubt I was putting Yahweh in a box. I just want the TRUTH! I hope someone is able to shed some light on this for me.
As of 7-22-2009, 10:19 PM US Central Time

Earliest (possibly)
Time until Friday, September 1, 2023 (Jerusalem time)
5152 days
123665 hours
7419943 minutes

Latest (possibly)
Time until Saturday, October 31, 2026 (Jerusalem time)
6308 days
151410 hours
9084644 minutes
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2009 9:01:22 PM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hey Rob - I was one of them Emo Evangelical types... maybe not the worst, but I had been slain I have spoken in tongues laughed shaken not stirred etc...

Its taken me a long time to get "out" of that situation as to say, and because it felt so real to me at the time, along time to realise that it wasn't Yah. At its most harmless it was all in my head meaning I created it, and at its worst it is another spirit.

You feelings on the subject are right though, it is wrong. If it was right then it would have been documented. Christians think because they came out of the room filled with joy after waiting for the feast of weeks fulfillment, and others said they must be drunk that they were obviously behaving like drunkards. Again its an excellent use of scripture... well done Christianity. (yes I'm being sarcastic).

The only thing I will say is Yahushua felt the power leave Him when the woman touched his Tzitzis, so there is a feeling there, although its as far removed from those type of meetings than anything.

Its probably the hardest for evangelical types to come out of Babylon because of these amazing life changing meetings they have with whoever it is. Deception is a nasty business, and Scripture is our only tool to accurately discern what is going on. Its not about limiting Yah, but following what He said and testing whats going on against Scripture.

From my view point now, I can feel how plastic it is and I can see how wrong it was - no matter how good it made me feel. I can't tell you if it was 100% in my head or partly from another source, I just hope it was more me...
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline In His Name  
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 20, 2009 3:49:27 AM(UTC)
In His Name

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi Robert,

While I can't touch Robski's testimonial, I can confirm your 'feelings' about this.

Robert9876 wrote:
Quote:
The reason I ask is because all of the things I listed (with the possible exception of raising hands) just feel... wrong to me.

We are told that the Spirit is placed within us to guide us. Yah has placed in us the knowledge of right and wrong and the ability to recognize Him and His works. The feeling you spoke of above sounds like Yahweh working from within. We need to use these feelings to keep focused on Yah. And while they are a good indicator for an initial response, we also need to be grounded in the knowledge of Yahweh and to dig for His justification for the questions that evoke the feelings.

“Because he clings to Me, is joined to Me, loves and delights in Me, desires Me, therefore I will deliver him, carry him safely away, cause him to escape from harm making him inaccessible and strong, and delivering him safely to heaven, because he has known, observed, cared for, recognized, instructed and advised others to use, designated, acknowledged, discerned, answered in, My name, authority, character, report, mark, and nature." Psalm 91:14
Offline kp  
#4 Posted : Saturday, June 20, 2009 4:10:00 AM(UTC)
kp

I too find your assessment right on the money, Robert. Our adversary would like nothing better than to get us to take our eyes off Yahweh and His Messiah, and instead chase emotional experiences. At their core, they're self centered: they're all about us, how we feel, how we express ourselves. But Yahweh's instructions remain clear. We are to love Him and love our fellow man. Expressing that love pretty much demands that we focus outward, not inward. Yahshua never said to seek religious experiences of any kind, but rather to "feed My sheep," bear the fruit of the Spirit (love...), and take up our stauros and follow Him. Since He invented emotion, I think we can safely defer to His opinion on the matter :-)

kp