logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline shohn  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 2, 2007 8:29:46 PM(UTC)
shohn

Okay, I've been thinking up this scenario in my head. It basically involves the end times and the Great Tribulation. Although it would be really swell if I thought I'd be one of the lucky ones to go during the next harvest, I doubt I'd make the cut. I'm learning, loving, and growing all that I can, but I'm not sure I'd qualify as a Philadelphian by any stretch. I'm still pretty much an infant in my walk, so I"m not sure I'd have the maturity by the time the world starts to get messy to get to meet Him in the clouds or anything.

Any hoo, so in this situation, here I am with my family, and we being the boy scouts that we are, we managed to stock up on provisions, etc. to hopefully last through the tribulation, avoid that mark of the beast, etc. I'd imagine my family and I holed up in some mountain hide out in west texas or something. So here we are, all holed up, away from the any sources of the mark, with several years worth of whole wheat flour, rice, lima beans, enough seeds to restart civilization if we have to, a few math/science books, etc. Heck, we even bring enough diesel, etc. to last for several years.

What I'm struggling with is - would this situation entail failure to TRUST our Father? Where do you guys draw the line between testing and TRUST? I suppose one could make the argument that we should be prepared for this, etc., but then I wonder if by holing up is that not in effect failing to TRUST, and worse pretty much being selfish at others' expense? In this scenario, would we not instead need to be out, bearing witness, and getting shot at for not sporting the mark, etc.?

The reason I ask this is, many people I know are getting the feeling that it is getting worse and worse as time progresses (birth pangs) and it is really just a matter of time before the world goes bonkers. It seems like it would make sense to prepare. I know this may sound silly, but I think this may be a very real decision for my family at some point in the future and I'm not sure where the scriptures would stand on such a situation. My gut tells me not to hole up, but to go ahead and get enough provisions to last disruptions in the world economy, etc.

Any scriptural perspectives on this scenario?

--
Shohn of Texas
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 2, 2007 10:17:51 PM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I'm sure you would make the cut :) you don't have to be a great theologian, you just have to love Yahweh, and Yada Yahweh :) lol

But in the if we had to survive the tribulation - then I donno what I would do... provision wise, Yahweh provides for me and my family on a daily basis now... we don't have any money really atm, but Yahweh always provides us with just enough to pay the bills and eat. I would be quite happy about just "living by faith" and keeping our Father to His word... :)

I don't think what you are thinking is selfish, its just human :)
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline kp  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 3, 2007 9:42:32 AM(UTC)
kp

Shohn, thinking in terms of "making the cut" will invariably weird you out, 'cause the best of us are sinners---none of us could "make the cut" left on our own. And luck doesn't have anything to do with it either. As long as we're using blue-sky scenarios to figure things out, consider this: Say you've got two sons, one a big, strapping teenager, and the other an infant, just a couple of months old. And you and your wife have determined that life just isn't safe where you live anymore. Are you going to say, "the teenager can pull his own weight, so he can come with us (and besides, he's the only one who can figure out how to work the TV remote), but the baby, well, he's going to be a burden---he's not going to make the cut"? No, of course not. You're going to take both kids with you because they're both your kids!

Now, put yourself in Yahweh's shoes. Is He going to leave you behind because you haven't "matured" to your full potential as a believer? No. Who He raptures and who he leaves behind is strictly a question of who (at that very moment) has been born anew into His family. No believer need worry about (or prepare for) making it through the Tribulation. Making it until the rapture, however, may be another matter. Even though we won't have to endure God's wrath, we very well could be called upon to live through persecution. If you were a Christian living in the Sudan, or Afghanistan, or India (for example) persecution would be a part of your daily life right now. I feel pretty secure at the moment living in rural Virginia, but the Scriptures tell me loud and clear that my feelings could be an illusion. Things will get worse---even (or especially) in America---before we're taken home. My wife and I tried growing a vegetable garden this year. It was a qualified success: everthing grew like crazy, but the deer wiped me out. Gotta get me a dog, or a fence, or maybe a gun, I guess. Point is, there's nothing wrong with preparing for hard times, but our preparations are pointless if not made in the context of absolute trust in Yahweh.

kp

Offline Jeannie  
#4 Posted : Friday, August 3, 2007 1:56:04 PM(UTC)
Jeannie
Woman

The best of us do sin but we are still set apart and that makes the cut! I'm reading chapter 9 of FH called the Signs of the Times and kp on the top of page 178 says "In the space of four sentences, He told us four times to WATCH. Therefore, I think He wants us to watch. Just a guess." These are the only instructions I find that we really need to be doing besides just being ready for His coming. Mark 13: 33-37......Mar 13:33 “Take heed, watch and pray, for you do not know when the time is –
Mar 13:34 as a man going abroad, having left his house and given authority to his servants, and to each his work, and commanded the doorkeeper to watch.
Mar 13:35 “Watch therefore, for you do not know when the master of the house is coming – in the evening or at midnight, or at the crowing of the cock, or in the morning,
Mar 13:36 lest, coming suddenly, he should find you sleeping.
Mar 13:37 “And what I say to you, I say to all: Watch!”