logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Mike  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 20, 2009 2:58:10 PM(UTC)
Mike

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 16 post(s)
I don’t know if this is the correct topic to post in but it doesn’t have many posts in it.

I thought that this is pretty interesting. It appears that Matthew 7:13 is a pun, a play on words. I would like Swalchy’s insights. Sorry, I only have e-sword software with the KJV and Strong’s for this.

Mat 7:13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wideG4116 is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:

The word (wide) G4116 is πλατύς
platus, which is the word that “Plato” got his nickname from.

Plato = πλατων = broad; from the word platus meaning broad or wide.

G4116
πλατύς
platus
plat-oos'
From G4111; spread out “flat” (“plot”), that is, broad: - wide.

G4115
πλατύνω
platunō
plat-oo'-no
From G4116; to widen (literally or figuratively): - make broad, enlarge.

G4114
πλάτος
platos
plat'-os
From G4116; width: - breadth.

Plato's Name:
According to Diogenes Laërtius, the philosopher was named Aristocles after his grandfather, but his wrestling coach, Ariston of Argos, dubbed him "Platon", meaning "broad," on account of his robust figure.[18] According to the sources mentioned by Diogenes (all dating from the Alexandrian period), Plato derived his name from the breadth (platytês) of his eloquence, or else because he was very wide (platus) across the forehead.[19] In the 21st century some scholars disputed Diogenes, and argued that the legend about his name being Aristocles originated in the Hellenistic age.[c]

Another thing I find interesting is this.

Mat 7:13 Enter ye in at the straitG4728 gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:

Note that G4728 στενός stenos is from the base word G2476 ἵστημι histēmi which is also the base word for “cross”/upright-pole G4716 σταυρός stauros. I think Yada wrote or spoke about this.

G4728
στενός
stenos
sten-os'
Probably from the base of G2476; narrow (from obstacles standing close about): - strait.

G2476
ἵστημι
histēmi
his'-tay-mee
A prolonged form of a primary word στάω staō (of the same meaning, and used for it in certain tenses); to stand (transitively or intransitively), used in various applications (literally or figuratively): - abide, appoint, bring, continue, covenant, establish, hold up, lay, present, set (up), stanch, stand (by, forth, still, up). Compare G5087.

Mat 10:38 And he that taketh not his cross,G4716 and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.

G4716
σταυρός
stauros
stow-ros'
From the base of G2476; a stake or post (as set upright), that is, (specifically) a pole or cross (as an instrument of capital punishment); figuratively exposure to death, that is, self denial; by implication the atonement of Christ: - cross.

G2476
ἵστημι
histēmi
his'-tay-mee
A prolonged form of a primary word στάω staō (of the same meaning, and used for it in certain tenses); to stand (transitively or intransitively), used in various applications (literally or figuratively): - abide, appoint, bring, continue, covenant, establish, hold up, lay, present, set (up), stanch, stand (by, forth, still, up). Compare G5087.

Col 2:8 See to it that no one makes a prey of you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary matters of the world, and not according to Messiah.
Offline Mike  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2009 11:11:46 AM(UTC)
Mike

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Thanks for your reply and insight, Swalchy.

Mat 7:13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Yahushua is the straight gate which leads to life.

Plato (Man’s philosophy) is the wide gate which leads to destruction.

Shalom,

Mike
Offline Matthew  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2009 11:24:25 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Mike wrote:
Thanks for your reply and insight, Swalchy.

Mat 7:13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Yahushua is the straight gate which leads to life.

Plato (Man’s philosophy) is the wide gate which leads to destruction.

Shalom,

Mike

Secular Humanisn (and Atheism) is also a wide road to destruction, and ironically they preach that very thing, that they will cease to exist when they die. Their easy route leads to the cessation of their existence. They will get what they want.