logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Matthew  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 17, 2009 2:24:08 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Lately I've been coming across a number of Atheists and it's quite common to see Dawkin's book "The God Delusion" being recommended for reading. Should I bother reading it, or shouldn't I bother with it? Has anyone on the forum read it? A part of me says I should read it to "better" understand them and the way they think, but a part of me says the Bible (with the side notes of YY, TOM, FH, etc. and other websites speaking the truth) is sufficient. Even reading Dawkins' forum I reckon I would get what I'm looking for, and then wouldn't need to bother reading his book.

In "The Science of God" Gerald Schroeder pulls Dawkins apart, explaining that Dawkins' model for evolution if a perfect description of directed evolution. One can see in Schroeder's tone that he seriously dislikes Dawkins.

You know what? I notice some comments of Atheists are remarkably similar to comments made by Muslims (Muslimbeciles) on the POD website.
Offline Matthew  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 17, 2009 3:28:10 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Swalchy wrote:
I have his book in PDF format, MAtt. I'll send it to you.

Thanks Swalchy!

Dawkins' cashing-in big time on his talent, there's money to be made in religion.

Unfortunately transitonal fossils haven't been found, therefore Darwin's theory is only a theory in that regards, now Atheists are having a hard time explaining sudden leaps (called quantum evolution) in evolution. Left, right and center the Biblical account is being confirmed.

There's a good 6-part interview on youtube of Derren Brown by Dawkins. I found it interesting, one thing they did teach me was that psychics are in fact just tricking the mind of those guillible to listen to them and are not really talking to spirits. But the point of the interview was to indirectly disprove spiritual life, and therefore disprove God's existence. But at the end Derren Brown gives his testimony of his early Christian walk, and when he tried to step into the world of psychology and magic his fellow believers started to question him and discouraged him for going that route. He then started to question the Bible's validity and went towards Atheism instead. I admire his work because he's truthful in what he does, he lets all people he uses know that all he does is trick the mind, though I'm quite sad he didn't have a copy of YY with him in his early walk.
Offline James  
#3 Posted : Friday, April 17, 2009 4:20:35 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
If you want a good and brief introduction to Dawkins you can watch the documentary No Intelligence Allowed by Ben Stein.

Stein interviews Dawkins as well as many others, in a documentary about the attempt to ignore any evidence of intelligent design in universities. Dawkins says he is more apt to believe that aliens created man than a god.

Dawkins does make some good points with regard to religion in his writings however.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 17, 2009 3:20:34 PM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I find it amusing that Athiests are pretty much Agnostics with issues.
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline James  
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 18, 2009 11:48:57 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Robskiwarrior wrote:
I find it amusing that Athiests are pretty much Agnostics with issues.

More like agnostics with attitudes.

Offline Robskiwarrior  
#6 Posted : Saturday, April 18, 2009 2:20:00 PM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

James wrote:
More like agnostics with attitudes.

hehe I suppose. But I find agnostics more to be "yea whatever" type of people... Athiests seem to be people who have either been brought up in a strickt religious background or have had some kinda bad runin with something somewhere. Agnostics dont care to care, athiests are bitter lol
Offline James  
#7 Posted : Sunday, April 19, 2009 8:52:51 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Agnostics really run the gamut from not caring to not understanding, to questioning. I was agnostic for the longest time, and it wasn't that I didn't care, it was just that religions made no sense to me, still don't. Atheist seem to be of the opinion, I don't know if there is a god or no, so I will act as though their isn't. But yeah I would agree that most of the atheist who make themselves public speakers for it, do have issues, usually with there upbringing, or had a bad experience. Plus I think a lot have trouble with the idea of God outside of religion, most religious people have issues with this as well. I think that if you equate God with religion, I would have issues with God to, but when you separate the two, one is grand, and one is destructive.

Dawkins and others really have more a problem with religion than with God, but are incapable of accepting one free of the other.

Offline Matthew  
#8 Posted : Saturday, May 16, 2009 6:00:28 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

From BBC:

Quote:
Five minutes with: Richard Dawkins
Saturday, 16 May 2009

Celebrities and news-makers get grilled in exactly five minutes by Matthew Stadlen in a series for the BBC News website.

This week, evolutionary biologist, atheist and author Richard Dawkins talks about death, being good and the point of life. Click HERE to watch

Interesting little video clip. I kinda wish Christians had their view of death as the Bible actually described it, then maybe Dawkins wouldn't be an Atheist.
Offline In His Name  
#9 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2009 3:05:20 PM(UTC)
In His Name

Quote:
From The Sunday Times
June 28, 2009
Dawkins sets up kids’ camp to groom atheists
Lois Rogers

GIVE Richard Dawkins a child for a week’s summer camp and he will try to give you an atheist for life.

The author of The God Delusion is helping to launch Britain’s first summer retreat for non-believers, where children will have lessons in evolution and sing along to John Lennon’s Imagine.

The five-day camp in Somerset (motto: “It’s beyond belief”) is for children aged eight to 17 and will rival traditional faith-based breaks run by the Scouts and church groups.

Conjures up all kinds of warm and fuzzy images the little ones can write home about... not.
“Because he clings to Me, is joined to Me, loves and delights in Me, desires Me, therefore I will deliver him, carry him safely away, cause him to escape from harm making him inaccessible and strong, and delivering him safely to heaven, because he has known, observed, cared for, recognized, instructed and advised others to use, designated, acknowledged, discerned, answered in, My name, authority, character, report, mark, and nature." Psalm 91:14
Offline Matthew  
#10 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2009 3:56:00 PM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

In His Name wrote:
Conjures up all kinds of warm and fuzzy images the little ones can write home about... not.

Maybe he should teach these words to them:

"Imagine there's Dawkins
Standing before God
With the Lake below him
And eternity waiting too
Imagine there he goes
Gone for eternity
yoo-hoo-oo-oo-oo"
Offline Robert9876  
#11 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2009 5:23:14 PM(UTC)
Robert9876

I find this very sad. Mostly, I think it's sad because it seems he almost has a vendetta, or score to settle, with religion (or rather, I should say the idea of a God of any sort even existing).

And what saddens me most is that he is a devout athiest, but cannot bring himself to follow through with the logical conclusions to that line of thinking. Namely, that nothing matters, and our existence is utterly meaningless, and more than that, humankind itself is just a plague, literally a virus ripping the planet apart, thus we don't deserve to even have this brief grasp at meaninglessness. Love is not real, you don't actually care about anyone or anything apart from those things which ensure your survival, and even then the object of your "affection" (I say "affection" because emotions aren't real or meaningful) is just selfishness. But it does not matter any ways, because then there is no God, no purpose to life, no moral code, and nothing to live for.

I can't imagine what it must be like for someone who holds the views of atheism, and thus my 2nd paragraph. It saddens me...
As of 7-22-2009, 10:19 PM US Central Time

Earliest (possibly)
Time until Friday, September 1, 2023 (Jerusalem time)
5152 days
123665 hours
7419943 minutes

Latest (possibly)
Time until Saturday, October 31, 2026 (Jerusalem time)
6308 days
151410 hours
9084644 minutes
Offline Matthew  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, September 15, 2009 1:35:46 PM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

I just came across Jude 1:17-19

Quote:
17But, dear friends, remember what the apostles of our Master Yahshua the Messiah foretold. 18They said to you, "In the last times there will be scoffers who will follow their own ungodly desires." 19These are the men who divide you, who follow mere natural instincts and do not have the Spirit.

LOL!

How accurate is that?!!
Offline J&M  
#13 Posted : Monday, September 28, 2009 7:37:00 AM(UTC)
J&M

I suspect a link between Dawkins and a new world order set upon deceipt and world domination. All the current big political issues require a belief in darwinian evolution to make them newsworthy, if people understand that YHWH is in control, then the issues (and the revenue derived from them) just dry up. Dawkin's professorial chair at Cambridge University is paid for by a charitable donation..... He who pays the dawkin presumably dictates the tune to which he marches.
Offline James  
#14 Posted : Monday, September 28, 2009 8:42:49 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Originally Posted by: J& Go to Quoted Post
I suspect a link between Dawkins and a new world order set upon deceipt and world domination. All the current big political issues require a belief in darwinian evolution to make them newsworthy, if people understand that YHWH is in control, then the issues (and the revenue derived from them) just dry up. Dawkin's professorial chair at Cambridge University is paid for by a charitable donation..... He who pays the dawkin presumably dictates the tune to which he marches.

There is probably some truth to this, but after reading his work, I think Dawkins biggest motivator is his arrogance and ego. If Yahweh where to appear before him right now, I think he would talk down to him, and proclaim himself higher.

Offline Matthew  
#15 Posted : Monday, September 28, 2009 10:50:30 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

And if Yahweh did suddenly appear in front of Dawkins, Hitchens, Harris, Dennett and crew, they'll accuse Him of forcing them into believing He exists, if somehow they can prove He's not a God of Love. But I reckon they aren't wise enough to understand that concept of Yahweh being a God of Love and how it affects our free-will and right of choice.

James wrote:
I think Dawkins biggest motivator is his arrogance and ego.

What I find amazing is how Atheists really believe they are wiser than anybody else, they even boast over the Internet how clever they are. In reality all they're doing is fulfilling Romans 1:22.

Offline Matthew  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, September 29, 2009 12:13:10 PM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Dawkins has just released a new book called "The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution." By using that title I wonder if he was taking a stab at "the greatest story ever told"? But I do agree, the history of the universe is quite amazing.
Offline Matthew  
#17 Posted : Sunday, May 30, 2010 2:45:58 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

From the Telegraph:

Quote:
Richard Dawkins in bitter web censorship row with fellow atheists

Professor Richard Dawkins is embroiled in a bitter online battle over plans to rid his popular internet forum for atheists of foul language, insults and “frivolous gossip”.

The prominent atheist faced a torrent of abuse from outraged fans after he announced that all further postings to the discussion forum on his website would be tightly moderated to ward off what he called “something rotten” in internet culture.

“Imagine seeing your face described by an anonymous poster as a ‘slack-jawed turd-in-the-mouth mug,” he wrote in a blog titled “Outrage” on RichardDawkins.net

Source
Offline kp  
#18 Posted : Sunday, May 30, 2010 7:11:40 AM(UTC)
kp

Oooo. Live by the politically correct sword, die by the politically correct sword.

kp
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#19 Posted : Sunday, May 30, 2010 7:25:48 AM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

kp wrote:
Oooo. Live by the politically correct sword, die by the politically correct sword.

kp

Fall on the politically correct sword... lol
Offline Richard  
#20 Posted : Sunday, May 30, 2010 11:30:00 AM(UTC)
Richard
Man
United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Robert9876 wrote:
I find this very sad. Mostly, I think it's sad because it seems he almost has a vendetta, or score to settle, with religion (or rather, I should say the idea of a God of any sort even existing).

And what saddens me most is that he is a devout athiest, but cannot bring himself to follow through with the logical conclusions to that line of thinking. Namely, that nothing matters, and our existence is utterly meaningless, and more than that, humankind itself is just a plague, literally a virus ripping the planet apart, thus we don't deserve to even have this brief grasp at meaninglessness. Love is not real, you don't actually care about anyone or anything apart from those things which ensure your survival, and even then the object of your "affection" (I say "affection" because emotions aren't real or meaningful) is just selfishness. But it does not matter any ways, because then there is no God, no purpose to life, no moral code, and nothing to live for.

I can't imagine what it must be like for someone who holds the views of atheism, and thus my 2nd paragraph. It saddens me...

On more than one occasion back in the murky depths of my past, I almost allowed myself to commit suicide because my best and most loyal friend, depression, was always at my side, murmuring incessantly about how there was "nothing to live for". I even wrote a song entitled, "I've Got No Reason To Live," back in 1987. It was a cheerful, uplifting little dirge about shame and loneliness and guilt. So, having known the "nothing to live for" mindset - albeit from a different angle - I can personally tell you that unless Yahuweh's Word finds His way into the man's understanding, Dawkins's mental torment will continue in ever-growing intensity.

You're right. It is quite saddening to learn of someone existing in that condition.

Edited by user Saturday, March 5, 2011 6:36:17 AM(UTC)  | Reason: removed 2 words

Offline Matthew  
#21 Posted : Friday, July 30, 2010 6:44:49 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

http://richarddawkins.ne...22-welcome-to-this-world

Amazing the way Atheists see Christians present Christianity (belief in God) to the world! It kinda frustrates me that Christians have such a warped understanding of Scripture and Yahweh, they completely share the wrong message that Yahweh wishes they would convey, in turn people turn away from knowing Yahweh.
Offline JamesH  
#22 Posted : Saturday, July 31, 2010 8:46:31 AM(UTC)
JamesH

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Something I have noticed lately with the younger Christians is with a little common sense and thought they aren’t buying Christianity either and with nowhere else to turn and never hearing about Yahweh they wind up totality out in the world. (Who is to say which is worse?) Jim
Offline ks77  
#23 Posted : Saturday, January 29, 2011 2:11:27 AM(UTC)
ks77

James wrote:
Agnostics really run the gamut from not caring to not understanding, to questioning. I was agnostic for the longest time, and it wasn't that I didn't care, it was just that religions made no sense to me, still don't. Atheist seem to be of the opinion, I don't know if there is a god or no, so I will act as though their isn't. But yeah I would agree that most of the atheist who make themselves public speakers for it, do have issues, usually with there upbringing, or had a bad experience. Plus I think a lot have trouble with the idea of God outside of religion, most religious people have issues with this as well. I think that if you equate God with religion, I would have issues with God to, but when you separate the two, one is grand, and one is destructive.

Dawkins and others really have more a problem with religion than with God, but are incapable of accepting one free of the other.

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I must say thanks for posting this.. I quoted a part of it for my "about me" section for facebook.