logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Devildog  
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 29, 2007 8:19:45 AM(UTC)
Devildog

I wanted to get a feel for what PPL here enjoyed as far as music is concerned. Although my CD collection is filled with Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin, SRV, and other classic rock artists, my "flavor" changed as I got older and I started to enjoy Jazz, so I also have many great Jazz CD's such as George Benson, Al Dimeola, Marcus Miller, David Sanborn, Jean Luc Ponty and Joe Sample. For the last several years however, these have all been collecting dust and I find that I enjoy "Christian Music" more and more. That is the purpose here. I thought we could share who we felt were great at exulting our creator through their music, and come to know some artists that currently escape our notice, as many "Christian" artists go unnoticed. Here is a list of Musicians that my family and I enjoy( not in any particular order) If you are not familiar with them, do yourself a favor.

Chris Tomlin( love the way he loves Him)
Jeremy Camp( perhaps my fav-a great talent)
Todd Agnew (one of my favs-love his passion)
Mary Mary (love them!)
Casting Crowns (who am I )
Big Daddy Weave( Everytime I breath)

What is your top five(or so) list?
* KP is a musician. Perhaps he will be kind enough to share. I have seen a little taste of his stuff and as you may expect, was written beautifully.
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 29, 2007 8:54:17 AM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
well at work we listen to WCIC - so pretty much everything on your list Devildog...lol
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline Devildog  
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 29, 2007 9:03:45 AM(UTC)
Devildog

Hello Rob,
Great to see you here.
What is WCIC?
Offline Jeannie  
#4 Posted : Sunday, July 29, 2007 10:01:51 AM(UTC)
Jeannie
Woman

I love Jazz and anything along that line as long as it doesn't have words. I'm not fond of christian music so have no clue. I heard a Hawiian group Kapana sing The Solid Rock I really liked. Hillsong out of Australia is good but that's all I know!!
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#5 Posted : Sunday, July 29, 2007 10:30:00 AM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
www.wcicfm.org :)

The Christianity does my head in a bit but I like MOST of the music...
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline Devildog  
#6 Posted : Sunday, July 29, 2007 2:15:48 PM(UTC)
Devildog

Jeannie wrote:
I love Jazz and anything along that line as long as it doesn't have words.

That sounds like me! I am the same way. If you are familiar with the artists on my list, you'll notice that most of them are primarily w/o lyrics. I play the guitar and enjoy that as well. You would love Jean Luc Ponty and if there is one CD you must have, it's collaboration, by G. Benson, Marcus Miller, and Earl Klugh.

Quote:
I'm not fond of christian music so have no clue.

Sure, Todd Agnew uses the wrong name and title, but ya gotta like the passion of his lyrics;

Which Jesus do you follow?
Which Jesus do you serve?
If Ephesians says to imitate Christ
Then why do you look so much like the world?

Cause my Jesus bled and died
He spent His time with thieves and liars
He loved the poor and accosted the arrogant
So which one do you want to be?

Blessed are the poor in spirit
Or do we pray to be blessed with the wealth of this land
Blessed are they that hunger and thirst for righteousness
Or do we ache for another taste of this world of shifting sand

Cause my Jesus bled and died for my sins
He spent His time with thieves and sluts and liars
He loved the poor and accosted the rich

Who is this that you follow
This picture of the American dream
If Jesus was here would you walk right by on the other side or fall down and worship at His holy feet

Pretty blue eyes and curly brown hair and a clear complexion
Is how you see Him as He dies for Your sins
But the Word says He was battered and scarred
Or did you miss that part
Sometimes I doubt we'd recognize Him

He spent His time with thieves and the least of these
He loved the poor and accosted the comfortable

Cause my Jesus would never be accepted in my church
The blood and dirt on His feet might stain the carpet
But He reaches for the hurting and despises the proud
I think He'd prefer Beale St. to the stained glass crowd
And I know that He can hear me if I cry out loud

I want to be like my Jesus!
Which Jesus do you follow?
Which Jesus do you serve?
If Ephesians says to imitate Christ
Then why do you look so much like the world?

He spent His time with thieves and liars
He loved the poor and accosted the arrogant

Blessed are the poor in spirit
Or do we pray to be blessed with the wealth of this land
Blessed are they that hunger and thirst for righteousness
Or do we ache for another taste of this world of shifting sand

Cause my Jesus bled and died for my sins
He spent His time with thieves and sluts and liars
He loved the poor and accosted the rich

Who is this that you follow
This picture of the American dream
If Jesus was here would you walk right by on the other side or fall down and worship at His holy feet

Pretty blue eyes and curly brown hair and a clear complexion
Is how you see Him as He dies for Your sins
But the Word says He was battered and scarred
Or did you miss that part
Sometimes I doubt we'd recognize Him

He spent His time with thieves and the least of these
He loved the poor and accosted the comfortable

Cause my Jesus would never be accepted in my church
The blood and dirt on His feet might stain the carpet
But He reaches for the hurting and despises the proud
I think He'd prefer Beale St. to the stained glass crowd
And I know that He can hear me if I cry out loud

Not a posterchild for American prosperity, but like my Jesus
You see I'm tired of living for success and popularity
I want to be like my Jesus but I'm not sure what that means to be like You Jesus
Cause You said to live like You, love like You but then You died for me
Can I be like You Jesus?

Quote:
I heard a Hawiian group Kapana sing The Solid Rock I really liked.

Is "The Solid Rock " a church hymn or are U saying that you like hard rock? LOL
Offline Devildog  
#7 Posted : Sunday, July 29, 2007 2:16:32 PM(UTC)
Devildog

Robskiwarrior wrote:
www.wcicfm.org :)

The Christianity does my head in a bit but I like MOST of the music...

Thanks for the link, bro. I'm listening to it as I type.
Offline kp  
#8 Posted : Sunday, July 29, 2007 4:17:55 PM(UTC)
kp

My "problem" is that my musical tastes are too eclectic. I'll listen to (and enjoy) anything from light pop to hardcore rock to jazz and blues, to classical, to modern country. Studied jazz and classical guitar when I was a kid. Contemporary Christian, sure I listen to it---but I'd rather be playing it. Left to my own devices (as reflected in the recordings I actually own) I lean toward jazz (I relate to Devildog's list) and classical (especially baroque). I find it "wears" better than most genres. I'm with Jeannie: I tend to prefer stuff that doesn't have words, 'cause half the time the words are either pointless, insipid, or evil.

As far as Christian music is concerned, I usually prefer songs that speak either to Yahshua or about Him, less so with those that speak about what I'm doing or feeling---a great failing of many 19th and 20th century hymns, to my mind. I don't really follow artists (I leave that sort of thing to the kids) but I've noticed we do quite a few Chris Tomlin songs in our praise band. I don't pick 'em, you understand, but I do like 'em.

I'd probably listen to more Christian music on the radio if (1) I spent more time in my car, (2) there was more than one contemporary Christian music station around here, and (3) I didn't lose even that questionable station to static driving through the hills of central Virginia. My 16 year old has promised to download his rather sizable collection of recent Christian songs onto my iPod for me. I'll have to remind him of that. :-)

kp
Offline Devildog  
#9 Posted : Sunday, July 29, 2007 6:09:41 PM(UTC)
Devildog

I don't think that is a problem, KP. I can also enjoy various artistic abilities in differing genres of music. Scary thing is that I am also beginning to enjoy modern country. Eek! I still have a hard time seeing the musical talent in rap and hip hop, however. I have one rule: If the "band" appears live without yielding a single musical instrument, I am not iinterested LOL.

I just bought a vehicle that came with a satellite radio. Took a trip to St. Augustine recently and it was very nice to be able to listen to the same station the entire way there. I suppose, KP, that when you get old, decide to retire, and take road trips, you should look into this service.
BTW, I love Virginia. I was at Quantico for several years. Many times, I rode my Kawasaki through those hills you speak of. Beautiful!
Offline kp  
#10 Posted : Monday, July 30, 2007 4:02:57 AM(UTC)
kp

Modern country! (yeah, me too: don't tell my wife :-) When I get old? When I retire? I did that seven or eight years ago! That's when I started working, if you know what I mean. Now, it seems, there are always more pressing matters than road trips---like saving the world. Now, lessee...where did I put my cape?

kp
Offline Tiffany  
#11 Posted : Monday, July 30, 2007 10:24:09 AM(UTC)
Tiffany
Woman

I really like Albreto and Kimberly Rivera, they have soothing music, and in one of theri songs they actually use the name Yahweh!!!! You can sample it from their website! http://www.rainingpresence.com/
Offline FF  
#12 Posted : Monday, July 30, 2007 9:03:35 PM(UTC)
FF
Man

Tiffany,

I really like "Singing in the Spirit" by Maureen Bocanegra and Diana Longwell at http://www.singinginthespirit.com/main.html

The only thing I have been thinking is contacting them and asking them if they would use Yahweh and Yahshua and Set-Apart Cleansing and Purifying Spirit and Ekklesia instead of church or Called out or Out Calling and Scripture and Set-Apart Spirit and Anointed Messiyah and Praise in place of Worship etc.

I think their style of singing will lend its self to the words better than most.

You can listen to their music at the music link and download the MP3 audio files.

FF
FF
Offline kp  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, July 31, 2007 7:39:49 AM(UTC)
kp

Just remember this, folks: styles change, shift, and morph with time. I love to worship with a guitar in my hands (gasp!) but I can remember when people seriously thought that flatting your fifths and bending strings were inherently evil, and that anything above the seventh fret was "the devil's territory." Just to put things in perspective, never forget that Fanny Crosby, Charles Wesley, Lowell Mason, and William Doane were once cutting-edge!

Still, if Christian rap music catches on big-time, I figure Yahshua may have to move up the date of the rapture :-)
Offline Devildog  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, August 1, 2007 6:22:12 AM(UTC)
Devildog

kp wrote:
Just remember this, folks: styles change, shift, and morph with time. I love to worship with a guitar in my hands (gasp!) but I can remember when people seriously thought that flatting your fifths and bending strings were inherently evil, and that anything above the seventh fret was "the devil's territory." Just to put things in perspective, never forget that Fanny Crosby, Charles Wesley, Lowell Mason, and William Doane were once cutting-edge!

Still, if Christian rap music catches on big-time, I figure Yahshua may have to move up the date of the rapture :-)

LOL. Not sure about those dinosaur hymn writers on the list, but I do understand that music has always been unpopular to the previous generations. The Beatles, Elvis, Led Zepplin, C. Berry, Doors, etc. were all controversial in their own right at the time, but at least these PPL had an instrument in their hands. Although PPL may have had a dislike for the type of music, the talent of these groups could not be denied, by a musical mind. The proof is that we can turn on the radio right now and hear their music, 4 decades later. These works also provide the foundation for most of the rap songs today.

Jeannie wrote:
Devildog I really like that Earl Klugh outfit!!! nice music.

George Benson is one of the best guitarists ever. Marcus Miller is the best bass player on the planet, and yes Earl Klugh doesn't stink either-he is a very talented acoustic guitar player. This "Collaboration" is one of my favorites. I am glad you gave it a listen. Nothing better on a weekend morning than this music. May I also suggest to all who can appreciate virtuoso musicians at their best, a CD called "The rite of strings". I saw this trio live and was blown away. The artists are Al Dimeola of accoustic guitar, Stanley Clark on stand up bass, and Jean Luc Ponty on violin(yes, no drummer). They stopped their individual careers and toured together for this once in a lifetime gem. It is another must-have for anyone who can appreciate talent. I don't believe there is one word sung on the entire disc. JLP is awesome.

Thank you Tiffany and FF, for your suggestions. I will look into them when I get a chance.
Offline kp  
#15 Posted : Thursday, August 2, 2007 4:55:42 AM(UTC)
kp

Random thought: I just watched Martin Scorsese's seven-part documentary on "The Blues." (Rented it from Netflix.) And it got me to wondering why, with all my eclectic experience, broad musical tastes, and diversified musical training, do I---left to my own devices---invariably play the blues on my guitar, to the exclusion of practially everything else? This is what I came up with...

In a visceral way, the blues is like the Word of God. You can learn a couple of chords and a few riffs and sound just fine, or you can spend your whole life playing, honing your skill, and developing your technique, and never exhaust its potential. God's Word is like that: you can stumble over a few verses from the Gospel of John and rejoice in God's love for the rest of your life---even if you never get the chance to learn one iota more. Or you can pore over the Scriptures for a lifetime, study, learn, analyze, and find new ways to apply it to your life---and never remotely get to the bottom of it.

kp
Offline Devildog  
#16 Posted : Friday, August 3, 2007 6:59:07 AM(UTC)
Devildog

It's almost as if the definition of the word "country" has changed as of late. If you are thinking of the same kind of country that comes to my mind when I hear it, then yes, the guitar is often boring and wouldn't really be missed IMO. Today's "Country" artists, however, seem to be taking the instrument to a new level. I find myself actually enjoying some of it, so that's enough proof for me. It seems to me as though country music appealed to PPL who enjoyed the lyrics of song, whereas, I couldn't care less about them. Now, I still don't care for the lyrics but the music is now appealing(just a little). Either the music changed or my musical tastes are experiencing the effects of the second law of thermodynamics.

KP wrote:
In a visceral way, the blues is like the Word of God. You can learn a couple of chords and a few riffs and sound just fine, or you can spend your whole life playing, honing your skill, and developing your technique, and never exhaust its potential. God's Word is like that: you can stumble over a few verses from the Gospel of John and rejoice in God's love for the rest of your life---even if you never get the chance to learn one iota more. Or you can pore over the Scriptures for a lifetime, study, learn, analyze, and find new ways to apply it to your life---and never remotely get to the bottom of it.

Interesting. Chances are that you learned guitar with the "blues", and like God's word, is a "foundation" of sorts-if only in the world of guitar. I do the same thing KP. You'll notice my list contains musicians whose roots are deeply stemmed in blues- I just love David Gilmour's guitar work.
We may not be able to "remotely get to the bottom of it" in either guitar or fully understanding Yahuweh, but I shall strive to be as conversant in His word as Clapton is to a blues minor scale. I'll be fine with that, .....maybe. You and Yada are at that level and still want to learn so perhaps I won't. LOL
Offline kp  
#17 Posted : Friday, August 3, 2007 8:51:18 AM(UTC)
kp

Funny thing is, my guitar experience wasn't like that. I didn't pick it up "by ear" and use that blues foundation to go other places. It was exactly the opposite. I studied classical; I studied jazz (in a structured sort of way); I studied chord theory and learned to read violin scores to improve my dexterity. Basically, I approached the guitar in my youth as many approach religion---with fervor and enthusiasm perhaps, but with strict guidlines and rules that I thought were inviolable. And just as in my "religious" life, it was only much later that I came to understand the joy that ultimate freedom could bring me.

I realize that it's not like this for everybody, but for me, growing up in the balcony of the First Baptist Church, being there with my parents every time the doors were open, was not a bad thing. That's where I learned my "scales" if you will, memorized KJV Bible verses and went to VBS and started getting a handle on what God was all about. It would have been a tragedy if I had never grown beyond that, however---if I had never learned that God's name is Yahweh, or plumbed the depths of his mercy, or learned how to absolutely trust Him by putting His Word to the test and watching Him keep His promises time after time. Even my parents, staunch Christians to the end, never understood that (for example) adopting nine children---most of them "special needs"---was not financial suicide if I was doing it out of God's love and trusting in Him to provide, something He always did---always. Okay, so it wasn't playing by the "rules." No preacher had ever told my wife and I we should be doing crazy stuff like that. And my parents were convinced we were flushing our life down the toilet, since the math never worked. But I was merely learning by trial and error (and yes, we did make some mistakes) that I could (in guitar parlance) bend strings, play minor-seventh-flat-five chords occasionally, and milk a pentatonic scale for all it's worth. In my life of faith, I was learning to play the blues.

Blues. Not (as it turns out) the color of sadness and frustration, but rather the color of heaven.

kp
Offline FF  
#18 Posted : Sunday, August 5, 2007 7:29:55 PM(UTC)
FF
Man

Greetings in Yahushua's Name,

I just discovered the Singing in The Spirit artist's have two web sites and no longer sing together as they live across the country from each other today. But here are both their sites if you are interested. I have long enjoyed their singing together for years.

MAUREEN BOCANEGRA IN YORKHAVEN, PA.: WWW.SINGINGINTHESPIRITMINISTRY.COM

DIANE LONGWELL IN TEXAS: WWW.SINGINGINTHESPIRIT.COM

FF
FF
Offline Devildog  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, August 7, 2007 6:34:27 AM(UTC)
Devildog

kp wrote:
Funny thing is, my guitar experience wasn't like that. I didn't pick it up "by ear" and use that blues foundation to go other places. It was exactly the opposite. I studied classical; I studied jazz (in a structured sort of way); I studied chord theory and learned to read violin scores to improve my dexterity. Basically, I approached the guitar in my youth as many approach religion---with fervor and enthusiasm perhaps, but with strict guidlines and rules that I thought were inviolable. And just as in my "religious" life, it was only much later that I came to understand the joy that ultimate freedom could bring me.

Cool. Thanks for sharing, K. I am the opposite. I just picked up a guitar at a store to pass the time while I was in the service(20 years ago). I haven't had a single "lesson". I do seem to have a pretty good ear for music and can play most any song I'd like, but there are limits. I could play the rhythm guitar behind anyone, but don't ask me to take a solo, because I am lost. Would you say that I should just memorize scales and repeat them over and over for improvment in this area or will I always be grasping at straws until I learn what makes up each chord?
Now I'm asking you about guitar. See, I told you downloading your contents would be easier. LOL
Offline kp  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, August 7, 2007 3:20:34 PM(UTC)
kp

Great, DD. First you want my brain, and now you want my fingers. :-) I'm afraid scales are to a musician like Bible memorization (or familiarization) is to a Christian. Only when you've done it so long you don't have to think about it will it become useful to you. I don't think about scales any more. After forty plus years of this, they're more or less intuitive: I just play what I feel (which is not to say other people will necessarily like what I'm playing). And scripture? I don't have the Bible memorized by a long shot, but I'm familiar enough with it that if I'm looking for an obscure verse, I can invariably track it down using Strongs, or in a pinch, Nave's. There are no short cuts (short of being gifted by God) but it seems to me the journey is as enjoyable as the destination.

Chords? Yes, it helps a great deal to know what they're made of, how they're structured. 'Course, the beauty of the guitar is that that you don't have to understand a darn thing to make it sound good. As for me, I didn't "get" chord theory until one magic day when my teacher dragged me to a piano and showed me how they're built. The ol' light bulb went on over my head and there was no going back. It was sort of like coming to the realization that God doesn't want you to keep rules. He just wants you to know Him. To an outsider looking at your life, the two things may seem sorta similar, but from your perspective, they're radically different.

kp
Offline Devildog  
#21 Posted : Thursday, August 9, 2007 6:26:36 AM(UTC)
Devildog

LOL, yes, I desire to "fully know", but I did infact, recently learn that the journey there is the enjoyable part. I need to reflect more on that to be able to "relax" a little more. Although my hunger for learning about Him has not been satified yet, I do recognize the fact that He directed me in the best possible way available for rapid growth in His light. By directing me as He did, I in essence, skipped all the boring music classes in elementary schools and middle schools( Sunday school, Church) and went right to the Berklee College of Music. From nothing to where I am today in a short 6 years is moving at a break neck pace. The next 6 will be amazing. I thoroughly enjoy the fellowship one brings who has known Yahuweh for many years. This gives me pause as I wonder how magnificient it must have been to be around the ones who knew Him best, and lived to be older and wiser than we do today! I would like to have listened in on Abe's 160 year old advice.