logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Matthew  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 19, 2009 12:41:07 PM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
From TOM vol.2 - Holy God Holy People - Chapter 2:

Quote:
(661) Know the name of Yahweh. “And God spoke to Moses and said to him: ‘I am Yahweh. I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, as God Almighty [Hebrew: El Shadday], but by My name Yahweh I was not known to them. I have also established My covenant with them, to give them the land of Canaan, the land of their pilgrimage, in which they were strangers. And I have also heard the groaning of the children of Israel whom the Egyptians keep in bondage, and I have remembered My covenant. Therefore say to the children of Israel: “I am Yahweh; I will bring you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians, I will rescue you from their bondage, and I will redeem you with an outstretched arm and with great judgments.”’” (Exodus 6:2-6) I find it fascinating that Yahweh did not reveal His name until He purposed to release His covenant people from bondage in the world. Not even Abraham, the one to whom the covenant was delivered, knew Yahweh’s name, although he most certainly acknowledged His deity. Jacob, after his all-night wrestling match, even asked God what his name was, and got stonewalled: “Why is it that you ask about my name?” (Genesis 32:29) It is only when we find ourselves in bondage—to the world, to sin, and to our own fallen natures—that knowing God’s self-revealed shem, His name, character, and reputation, becomes of critical importance to us.

Once we have come to realize that we are in bondage, however, the significance of the name of Yahweh never diminishes. From this point on, we see the formula “I am Yahweh” punctuating the text of the Torah, incessantly reminding us that our Deliverer is the self-existent Creator, that He is holy—set apart from the worlds he has made—and that we are therefore to be set apart from the world as well. In reality, this setting apart, this calling out, is the essence of His promise, “I will rescue you from...bondage.”

Exodus 6:2-6 says Abraham did not know the Name of Yahweh but Genesis 13:3-4 says Abram called on the name of Yahweh: "From the Negev he went from place to place until he came to Bethel, to the place between Bethel and Ai where his tent had been earlier and where he had first built an altar. There Abram called on the name of Yahweh."
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 19, 2009 12:43:49 PM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Yes.
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline Matthew  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 20, 2009 7:03:31 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Here's the Strong definition for "name": Strong's H8034 shem: a primitive word (perhaps rather from 'suwm' (7760) through the idea of definite and conspicuous position; compare 'shamayim' (8064)); an appellation, as a mark or memorial of individuality; by implication honor, authority, character:--+ base, (in-)fame(-ous), named(-d), renown, report.

This is where Christians would say it's not about the Hebrew Name but more about God's honor, authority and character. As if saying "it's not important to know God's Hebrew Name but to rather know His authority and character." I can agree with this statement in a way but obviously do consider there to be great benefits in using and knowing the real Name as it sheds a lot of light on Scripture.

So it's possible that Abraham didn't know God's personal Name of Yahweh but instead knew Yahweh's authority and character. I can understand Abraham knowing God as El-Shadday as El is the short form (r so I think) for Elohim, a title for God, but the "Yahweh will provide" of Genesis 22:14 I'm not sure about now.
Offline James  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 20, 2009 9:28:28 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
Matthew wrote:
This is where Christians would say it's not about the Hebrew Name but more about God's honor, authority and character. As if saying "it's not important to know God's Hebrew Name but to rather know His authority and character."

I can agree with them to a point with this, but I have found that the character of the God they teach about is often not Yahweh.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand