logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Heretic Steve  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 17, 2009 12:42:05 PM(UTC)
Heretic Steve

I figure one must ask for/seek forgiveness in order to be forgiven, (right?/wrong?). So, if an enemy does not ask to be forgiven, do they merit forgiveness? I'm not advocating holding a grudge, but I am curious. Also, if one is deliberately harmed by another, must the consequences for the perp be forgiven as well as not holding a grudge, (yes?/no?/maybe?/sometimes?)? Notice David still had to deal with the consequences of his affair with Bathsheeba, yet Yah had forgiven him. Where is the 'merits forgiveness/does not merit forgiveness line drawn? What about foregoing/forgiving consequences?
If not us, who? If not now, when?
Offline kp  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 17, 2009 3:27:27 PM(UTC)
kp

It's a good question, Steve, one with which I've struggled on occasion. I have no hard and fast answers, but I would venture that forgiving someone else is not for their benefit---it's for ours. Holding a grudge hurts us, but it doesn't do anything one way or another for the "grudgee."

kp
Offline In His Name  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 17, 2009 4:52:56 PM(UTC)
In His Name

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
kp wrote:
It's a good question, Steve, one with which I've struggled on occasion. I have no hard and fast answers, but I would venture that forgiving someone else is not for their benefit---it's for ours. Holding a grudge hurts us, but it doesn't do anything one way or another for the "grudgee."

kp

I think you are right on the money again KP. Not forgiving only hurts the offended not the offender. I have personally watched a life be wasted from the bitterness and resentment built up through unforgiveness. Not only should we be quick to forgive, but we should forgive how many times?:
Quote:
21Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, "Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times?"

22Jesus answered, "I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times

This doesn't mean you need to become a doormat. You are not required to put yourself in the position to be harmed.
“Because he clings to Me, is joined to Me, loves and delights in Me, desires Me, therefore I will deliver him, carry him safely away, cause him to escape from harm making him inaccessible and strong, and delivering him safely to heaven, because he has known, observed, cared for, recognized, instructed and advised others to use, designated, acknowledged, discerned, answered in, My name, authority, character, report, mark, and nature." Psalm 91:14