logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Heretic Steve  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 16, 2009 11:30:12 AM(UTC)
Heretic Steve

So the Babs believe Ba'al knocks up Ishtar via Taurus the bull when the sun crosses the equator at the vernal equinox. Personally, I find this a bit of a stretch. After all, there's no account of Ba'al having at least bought Ishtar dinner. However, this legend does lead to a ques/ques's. Just how did the Babs even know there was an equator, where it was located, and how did they know the sun was in it's highest position in the sky in relation to the equator at that time of the year? Perhaps they simply timed the photo-period, noticed it was the longest of the year, and assumed the rest. This means they knew the earth was round and thus had an equator.
I wonder who first came up with this idea? Did bennie shakar posses somebody in the pre-flood era and tell them this stuff? Who carried it through the Flood? Ham? His wife? Flood survivors who eventually migrated from outlying/unflooded areas? Is the Heretic's imagination undergoing some sort of thyroid anomaly? (Hey, I'm just curious, hahaha)
If not us, who? If not now, when?
Offline edStueart  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 16, 2009 4:22:44 PM(UTC)
edStueart

Heretic Steve wrote:
Just how did the Babs even know there was an equator, where it was located, and how did they know the sun was in it's highest position in the sky in relation to the equator at that time of the year? Perhaps they simply timed the photo-period, noticed it was the longest of the year, and assumed the rest. This means they knew the earth was round and thus had an equator.

You can figure this stuff out with a sundial, hourglass and a stick. (Or at least our homeschoolers can...)
;-)
"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free."
But first, it will piss you off!
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 17, 2009 12:28:46 AM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
edStueart wrote:
You can figure this stuff out with a sundial, hourglass and a stick. (Or at least our homeschoolers can...)
;-)

that sounds like a challenge!!! :D
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline kp  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 17, 2009 3:48:58 AM(UTC)
kp

You don't have to know there's an equator to understand that the days get longer and then they get shorter---and the midpoint between the two is the vernal equinox (in the spring) or the autumnal equinox (in the fall). You can figure the date out with a couple of years of trial and error. Of course, turning the concept of solar equilibrium into a symbol (the cross) would require (or at least suggest) a rudimentary understanding of how the earth is tilted in relationship to the sun, but my sense is that these early astrologers were pretty sharp in their observations of the night sky. Any way you slice it, however, it's sun worship.

kp
Offline Heretic Steve  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 17, 2009 11:25:38 AM(UTC)
Heretic Steve

I thought the whole point/origin of a cross was the sun crossing the equator. That being the case, I would think the Babs would have known about the equator, or at least assumed there was one. I read somewhere, don't recollect where, that the reason the Persians lifted up their crucifixtion victims on a cross was so as not to contaminate Ishtar with the remains.
It would be interesting, if not particularly enlightening, to know when, where and by whom sun worship first started. For that matter, just what/who would prompt nesamachless humanoids to worship anything. Assuming they were spiritless, what would be the point? I don't believe the concept of eternity, or even a tomorrow ever occured to an animal, although I suppose it's possible that dogs worship fire hydrants judging by their frequent annointing.
If not us, who? If not now, when?
Offline BiynaYahu  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 17, 2009 12:01:40 PM(UTC)
BiynaYahu
Man

Well, based upon scriptures frequent references to Babylon being the seat of false religion. I would guess that Nimrod started the whole concept of sun worship, and that he had a neshamah. Also, he probably knew of the existence of Yahuweh, and blatantly stole that adoration for himself. I'm not entirely convinced that there were any neshamahless humans after the flood. I mean who is to say that prior to the flood that humans left the middle east? Not that I know, but that's my guess.
Someone who does not dearly love or welcome, entertain, look fondly upon or cherish people with strong affection or highly esteem them with great favour, goodwill or benevolence, be loyal to or greatly adore them has not known or understood, perceived or realized, noticed or discerned, discovered or observed, experienced or ascertained, learned about or distinguished, comprehended, acknowledged or recognized God*, for concerning this, God* is and exists as brotherly love and affection, good will, esteem and benevolence.
Offline In His Name  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, February 17, 2009 5:25:13 PM(UTC)
In His Name

BiynaYahu wrote:
Well, based upon scriptures frequent references to Babylon being the seat of false religion. I would guess that Nimrod started the whole concept of sun worship, and that he had a neshamah. Also, he probably knew of the existence of Yahuweh, and blatantly stole that adoration for himself. I'm not entirely convinced that there were any neshamahless humans after the flood. I mean who is to say that prior to the flood that humans left the middle east? Not that I know, but that's my guess.

I think you are correct with it starting with Nimrod. When he died his wife brought him back to life with a son born at Christmas. I believe that is the story or legend. When they were all dead the drama was moved to the heavens and replays annually.

I am not so sure about who was alive after the flood. The estimates put the population at around 20 million alive at 4000 BCE. Not sure where the number came from (other than I got it from Wikipedia) but if it is accurate of close to accurate, they couldn't have all been from Noah's clan.
“Because he clings to Me, is joined to Me, loves and delights in Me, desires Me, therefore I will deliver him, carry him safely away, cause him to escape from harm making him inaccessible and strong, and delivering him safely to heaven, because he has known, observed, cared for, recognized, instructed and advised others to use, designated, acknowledged, discerned, answered in, My name, authority, character, report, mark, and nature." Psalm 91:14
Offline Mike  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, February 18, 2009 7:53:26 AM(UTC)
Mike

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 16 post(s)
In His Name,

I am confused. You said that 20 million people were alive in 4000 BCE. But that is before the flood which was around 3000 BCE. If what you meant was that 20 million people could not have come from 8 people after 1000 years after the flood then look below.

A population of 20 million after 1000 years is more than possible from 6 people. I am assuming that Noah and his wife didn’t have any more children after the flood. So that leaves Shem, Ham, and Japheth and their wives. In fact 20 million would be a low estimate. Exponential growth is amazing. So the population in 2000 BCE (Abraham’s time) , starting from 6 people (3 men and 3 women) in 3000 BCE could have been anywhere from 36 million on up:

The population growth formula is N=No*e^(r*t)
N = Future Population
No = Starting population
r = growth rate
t= number of years.
e = 2.71828

The current growth rate for some countries per the CIA Fact book:
Malaysia = 1.742%
Saudi Arabia = 1.954%
Haiti = 2.493%
Ethiopia = 3.212%
Congo = 3.236%

So let’s do the math:
At Congo’s growth rate of 3.236%; N=6*e^(0.03236*1000) = 6.79 x 10^14 = 679000000000000.
At Saudi Arabia’s growth rate of 1.954%; N = 6*e^(0.01954*1000) = 306 x 10^6 = 306 million.
At Malaysia’s growth rate of 1.742%; N = 6*e^(0.01742*1000) = 36 x 10^6 = 36000000 = 36 million

Shalom,
Mike
Offline In His Name  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, February 18, 2009 8:02:01 PM(UTC)
In His Name

Mike wrote:
In His Name,

I am confused. You said that 20 million people were alive in 4000 BCE. But that is before the flood which was around 3000 BCE. If what you meant was that 20 million people could not have come from 8 people after 1000 years after the flood then look below.

Mike

You are rightly confused. My info was gathered hastily (can't even re-find the chart I used) for another post and then regurgitated here. It doesn't even make sense to me anymore.

Even as I was posting here, I was in mid-realization that the numbers I used were most likely drawn from computer or calculated models, which are meaningless in correlation with reality. And those calculations were most likely made without any regard for a biblical flood.

You used a calculation model correctly to show possibility. Using a calculated model over millenia is virtually meaningless.

My apologies, I will try to be more careful and diligent in the future.
“Because he clings to Me, is joined to Me, loves and delights in Me, desires Me, therefore I will deliver him, carry him safely away, cause him to escape from harm making him inaccessible and strong, and delivering him safely to heaven, because he has known, observed, cared for, recognized, instructed and advised others to use, designated, acknowledged, discerned, answered in, My name, authority, character, report, mark, and nature." Psalm 91:14
Offline edStueart  
#10 Posted : Thursday, February 19, 2009 4:16:59 AM(UTC)
edStueart

Quote:
e = 2.71828

To me, this is one of the most powerful testimonies for YHWH.

He is EVERYWHERE!
"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free."
But first, it will piss you off!