logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline visitor  
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 3, 2009 2:14:19 AM(UTC)
visitor

Has anyone ever heard of various `meditation` techniques for Christians? Does anyone have any experience using any of them? What do you think?

There is one which you can listen to from The Foundation of Human Understanding. The founder, a man by the name of Roy Masters, claims to be a converted Jew who has come to believe in Christianity.You can listen to his meditation at: http://fhu.com/meditation.html

On their home page, the Mission Statement reads:

Quote:
We are committed to empowering all people with the divine knowledge of higher consciousness so they may shift their awareness and live free from all fear.

It`s very iinteresting for me because other men like Edgar Cayce (who also claimed to be a devout Christian) employed similar `third eye` meditation techniques. According to Wikipedia, Cayce is credited by many to be the founder of the New Age movement before such a thing even existed. This is the beginning of the Wikipedia entry on Cayce:

Quote:
Edgar Cayce (March 18, 1877 – January 3, 1945) (pronounced /ˈkeɪsiː/) was an American psychic. He is said to have demonstrated an ability to channel answers to questions on subjects such as health or Atlantis, while in a self-induced trance. Though Cayce considered himself a devout Christian and lived before the emergence of the New Age Movement, some believe he was the founder of the movement and had influence on its teachings.[1]

You can read the rest of the Wikipedia article at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgar_Cayce

Has anybody got any thoughts on the subject?
Offline edStueart  
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 3, 2009 3:28:52 AM(UTC)
edStueart

visitor wrote:
Has anyone ever heard of various `meditation` techniques for Christians? Does anyone have any experience using any of them?

I have used breathing and visualization techniques to improve martial arts and athletic performance successfully. I always steered clear of the 'spiritual' aspects that often came along with these techniques, mostly due to the poorly thought out theology of the teachers.

[snip]

visitor wrote:
It`s very iinteresting for me because other men like Edgar Cayce (who also claimed to be a devout Christian) employed similar `third eye` meditation techniques.

Some of my great aunts got involved with Cayce's teachings and ended up holding seances! They had been reared by very strict parents who were Salvation Army Officers.

In light of what Winn, Power and others have shown from YHWH's word (ie: the dead are currently taking a dirt nap, with their spiritual cell phones turned off), I do not think that conjuring up the dead is a Good Idea<tm>.
"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free."
But first, it will piss you off!
Offline BiynaYahu  
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 3, 2009 7:53:34 AM(UTC)
BiynaYahu
Man

I am going to go take a course on Vipassana meditation. In a couple of months in order to see if it will help me with my ADHD, but will not be taking part in any of the other portions of Buddhist thought. I believe focus techniques are neutral as long as your focus remains on our dad.
Someone who does not dearly love or welcome, entertain, look fondly upon or cherish people with strong affection or highly esteem them with great favour, goodwill or benevolence, be loyal to or greatly adore them has not known or understood, perceived or realized, noticed or discerned, discovered or observed, experienced or ascertained, learned about or distinguished, comprehended, acknowledged or recognized God*, for concerning this, God* is and exists as brotherly love and affection, good will, esteem and benevolence.
Offline Matthew  
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 3, 2009 10:19:04 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
While doing university assignments, such as essays, I used to play those instrumental CDs with either rainforest sounds, or one with dolphin sounds, I even had one CD with the sound of the sea-shore. Quite heavenly really! I don't listent to then much, haven't in about 5 or so years, not sure whether they are good (Biblical) or not. Nice topic this.

edStueart wrote:
I have used breathing and visualization techniques to improve martial arts and athletic performance successfully. I always steered clear of the 'spiritual' aspects that often came along with these techniques, mostly due to the poorly thought out theology of the teachers.

I got orange belt, with three (or was it two) stripes, in Goju-Ryu Karate before I was a teenager, many years ago. ;)
Offline visitor  
#5 Posted : Saturday, January 3, 2009 11:32:52 AM(UTC)
visitor

I was watching a video about Cayce on YouTube and, apparently, he created the popular boardgame `Pit` originally published by Parker Brothers in 1904.

I never knew that. I remember playing this game growing up. Little did I know that it was created by a `psychic.`
Offline edStueart  
#6 Posted : Saturday, January 3, 2009 3:59:13 PM(UTC)
edStueart

visitor wrote:
boardgame `Pit` originally published by Parker Brothers in 1904.

whoa! that is by far one of my favorite games!

A real psychic would have an unfair advantage!
"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free."
But first, it will piss you off!
Offline theHessian  
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 29, 2009 4:49:19 PM(UTC)
theHessian

Matthew wrote:
While doing university assignments, such as essays, I used to play those instrumental CDs with either rainforest sounds, or one with dolphin sounds, I even had one CD with the sound of the sea-shore. Quite heavenly really! I don't listent to then much, haven't in about 5 or so years, not sure whether they are good (Biblical) or not. Nice topic this.

I got orange belt, with three (or was it two) stripes, in Goju-Ryu Karate before I was a teenager, many years ago. ;)

Hey, Matt, I was just reading something about sounds and this kind of thing on the interwebs. I do think that Abba has blessed us with incredible abilities, but without the spirit, it's all for naught.

to the whole YY forum, this is from one of those crazy sites. as Yahudi, I can definately see where real yada' knowledge of the SPIRIT could come in handy. can you tell me what's out of place or who wanted Who out of this picture?

"
......If our species was meant to do manual tasks with one finger, we would NOT have been born with ten fingers. If we were meant to use only 10% of our brain cells to lead a happy life, we would not have been born with 10 times as much to use. In fact, man (Homo sapiens) is the only creature on earth that does not use its 100% brain capacity. Man also appears to be the only creature on earth that is in constant disharmony with its fellow creatures.

......So in other words, we're creatures that are designed just as perfectly as every other creature on earth, but we're just not using all the potential available to us like all other creatures! Why? Could it be that we no longer know HOW to connect to our "energy source" like all other creatures? Or is it that we don't care to make the free CHOICE to do so? Free will is such a confusing thing to 10% brain users controlled by "knee-jerk" desires of the body! Regardless of the reason for the brain neglect though, it's the use it or lose it axiom at work here, because average human beings are losing over 100,000 brain cells every day due to disuse or misuse. The more a person neglects using his brain potential, the more his condition is likely to worsen! Is there any wonder why there are diseases such as Alzheimer's, dementia, senility, Parkinson's and other brain disorders increasing in a disproportionate rate to our global population growth?

......What is the solution? Can we really use 100% of our brains and improve the quality of our lives? Of course we can. Instead of having memory loss, we can become memory wizards. Instead of being stymied by the simplest problems, we can become creative "geniuses." Instead of not being able to balance our checkbooks, we can become lightning calculators. Instead of being dull to our sensory world, we can become enlivened and truly conscious about our sensory environment. Instead of being "stuck" in unhappy emotional ruts all our lives, we can learn to get along with our fellow creatures in complete and diversified harmony!

......As one grows in self-awareness, the realization slowly unfolds that one's own condition is brought about by oneself and one's own choices in life, whether they are gut reactive, knee-jerk choices or conscious choices. Whatever you were dealt with at birth, your choices throughout your life determine your outcome. The more complete the usage of both your mind and body -- the more physically and mentally able you become, and the better you feel about yourself, too. In so doing, your spiritual development cannot help but EVOLVE A HIGHER CONSCIOUSNESS state as well.

......Many people get so "stuck" in daily routines and knee-jerk patterns of behavior that they often never see the many opportunities and alternatives around them every day. To begin the process of stimulating your 100% brain, practice the following 7 brain gymnastic drills for seven days and see for yourself the progress you can make in such a short span of time. Each drill touches upon a different area of your brain.

2) Where normally you would criticize someone, find something to compliment them on instead! SUSPEND YOUR JUDGMENT about that person as well, and view him (her) as simply another human being with different viewpoints than your own.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I see some real danger in this site, and it's not only the MAN-IS-HIS-OWN-GOD nonsense (isn't it funny how the material realm is malleable but truth is always truth)? For me, the danger happens when people try to make the glorious creator an impersonal "energy source". this is one of the reasons that I describe God's Spirit as "the only living, loving live wire any man can seriously get ahold of".

the real question, when dealing with the GREAT POWER (YHWH and Everything that comes from his will) is a question of motive.
In Jack Lewis' THE SILVER CHAIR, Eustace and Jill talk about magic. Jill asks if Eustace can get into Narnia by "drawing circles on the ground, and lighting a candle and all that rot." Eustace says it isn't the right kind of magic.

why would we try all that rot when we could just be happy if YHWH could spare us a little more of his empowering Lion's Breath?