logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Heretic Steve  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 19, 2008 11:11:57 AM(UTC)
Heretic Steve

A hypothetical situation...
A skeptic asks how I know 173,880 days from Nisan 1, 444 BCE equals March 28, 33 CE. Using a calculator won't count as most of the time since Daniel there have been none. So, how were the folks in the days before calculators supposed to figure this out?
You (Yada) are the math whiz. I need this info, (formula?), to be adequately equipped in order to engage the DT's, (disingenuous types)/skeptics.
TIA...
If not us, who? If not now, when?
Offline Yada  
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 20, 2008 6:15:16 AM(UTC)
Yada

I passed this along to Yada. This was his response:

Quote:
This math is simple and does not require a calculator. Prior to the advent of calculators, most reasonably educated people performed six significant figure multiplication, division, addition, and subtraction with relative ease. Further, they knew the lengh of a prophetic month and year and the exact length of a solar year.

The rabbis knew when the Messiah was expected, not only because they had good records as to when they were allowed to return (the start of the "weeks" prophecy, but also for the generations which come and gone since their return (which were kept in the Temple). Moreover, they understood the prophetic timing of Genesis one--of the Messiyah arriving in the fourth of seven millennia, and on a Yowbel year. It is why the false Messiyah was announced in 133, another Yowbel year, by the founder of the Jewish religion, Akiba.

Yada
If you'd like to join the YY Study Group room on Paltalk - just click here. The lockword is: yadayahweh
You can download the free software here.
Hope to see everyone on Paltalk!
WARNING: Do not give out personal information (name, address, etc.) to anyone on Paltalk - ever!
Offline kp  
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 20, 2008 7:55:38 AM(UTC)
kp

Part of the problem is that calculators have made it next to impossible to figure this stuff out without them. My dad was an accountant---before the advent of calculators, or even proper adding machines. And I remember that he could do this kind of math in his head. It always amazed me. As far as "figuring it out" is concerned, we have biblical records of at least two people having it pinned down to at least the right neighborhood: Anna and Simeon, whose stories are related in Luke 2.

kp
Offline Heretic Steve  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 8, 2009 10:47:25 AM(UTC)
Heretic Steve

Guess I'm just the stubborn type as close, in the right neighborhood, guess, or the folks in Jerusalem on March 28th figuring Yahushua's arrival was "a happy coincidence" as KP mentions in FH, does'nt cut it for me. Quite frankly I don't believe Yahweh expects us to settle for close or in the right neighborhood, and since this is prophetic, I don't think reverse engineering counts either.
Although I'm "reasonably educated", (hs grad), I've no clue where to begin any sort of mathematical equation/formula to figure this out, with or without a calculator.
Swalchy makes a reasonable stab at this for which I appreciate.

When inductees are preparing for warfare, every effort is made to simulate actual combat conditions in order to preempt the enemies efforts. Thus the hard questions from me. Lets say I'm engaged with a sceptic and I cite Daniel's 70 weeks of years. The sceptic is going to want to know how I know/can verify that these dates/date, (March 28), are accurate. Remember, the sceptic does not believe Scrip is divine writ. Granted, it's likely the sceptic won't believe in any event. However, there are others listening in on the conversation/reading the post at a forum. So, it's for their benefit that I have ALL my ducks in order and prevent being trumped by a sceptic who confronts with an assertion I'm unable to adequately respond to.
Yada, you intimate in your reply that calculating these dates/date is simple. So, where's the beef? What's the formula/equation? Ken, you seemed to imply that you could figure it out with a calculator. Oh really? Sure would like to see it.
Sorry for sounding like a knucklehead. But nonetheless, I think solving this conundrum, (at least for me, reasonably educated or not), is what this site is for.

Maybe I should change my username to "airtight", as this is how I look at the overall pic when I engage, (publicly or not), those who teach what is not true. I don't like loose ends and quite frankly I believe "faith" is a cop out and one certainly can't expect unbelievers/fence straddlers to have assumed Scrip is true. That's why hard evidence is necessary so as to at least convince, (hopefully), the fence straddlers.
Offline Heretic Steve  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 14, 2009 11:29:06 AM(UTC)
Heretic Steve

Thx Swalchy...