logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Theophilus  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 24, 2007 10:03:31 AM(UTC)
Theophilus
Man

I read in another thread a request for more details about the sources referred to in YY, FH, and TOM and found one that I thought people may find intersting and relates to this folder's topic. In reading YY and FH, I was struck by the persons and situation described as having originated a pattern found in so many idolatrous mystery religions and sadly even permating Christendom. I thought that YY and FH readers would be interested to know that work refered to in both, "The Two Babylons" by Alexander Hislop, is viewable online here:

http://www.biblebelievers.com/babylon/00index.htm

I also found some interesting if suspect background material at wiki here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Two_Babylons

The wiki article also allows expanding on related articles and provides criticisms of the work as well.

I have some familiarity with popular Neo-Paganism and on the surface the similarities between a number of various cultures polytheistic religions to the story of Nimrod, Semiramis and Tammuz appears robust to what these faiths revere today. Another aspect of the work YY and FH readers wil be familiar with being that Emperor Constantine effectively founded Roman Christianity as a useful tool in combining several older Pagan traditions in with the teachings of the newer followers of "the Way".

I hope this background will be of value to you.
Offline Jeannie  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 26, 2007 5:26:30 AM(UTC)
Jeannie
Woman

Beware when you click on the biblebelivers link you won't be able to get back to the forum. I hate it when they do that!! Thanks for the links Theophilus.
Offline Theophilus  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 26, 2007 8:56:27 AM(UTC)
Theophilus
Man

Jeannie wrote:
Beware when you click on the biblebelivers link you won't be able to get back to the forum. I hate it when they do that!! Thanks for the links Theophilus.

I was pleased that the materials were available online, but did not realize it wouldn't let you leave once your browser went there.

Edited by user Friday, July 27, 2007 6:27:29 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Theophilus  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 27, 2007 7:17:51 AM(UTC)
Theophilus
Man

Okay I tested the links again and thankfully I encountered no problems getting back to the forum. whew.
Offline Jeannie  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 27, 2007 11:07:43 AM(UTC)
Jeannie
Woman

It seems like so many websites do that and for what reason I have no idea. On another site I had already downloaded The Two Babylons. Very interesting. I like this one cause you can pick and choose...
Offline kp  
#6 Posted : Saturday, July 28, 2007 7:53:57 AM(UTC)
kp

It's been a number of years since I read Hislop cover to cover, but a few things stick out in my mind. He was trying (and I believe he succeeded) to pin the tail of the Babylonian donkey squarely on the bloated rump of the Roman Catholic Church. But what he failed to realize (if I read him right) is that the legacy of Babylon tarnishes every form of religion extant today (not just the ancient pagan precursors of the RCC). Catholicism is only the most blatant and easiest to spot. But the spirit of Babylon is alive and well in Islam and Hinduism, and its homo-centric core is evident in Eastern religious philosophies like Buddhism, in atheistic secular humanism, communism, and yes, Protestant Christianity. I find it earth-shakingly significant that passages like Revelation 17-18 imply that every permutation of Babylon is slated for destruction, not merely the big, obvious ones. The whore of Babylon is not one thing. Remember the "name tag" that was plastered on her forehead. It read: Mustery, Babylon the Great, the mother of harlots and of the abominations of the earth. Babs isn't the only whore on this corner: she is the mother of harlots---all of 'em.

Our instructions remain the same: "Flee from the midst of Babylon, and every one save his life! Do not be cut off in her iniquity, for this is the time of Yahweh's vengeance; He shall recompense her. Babylon was a golden cup in Yahweh's hand, that made all the earth drunk. The nations drank her wine; therefore the nations are deranged. Babylon has suddenly fallen and been destroyed. Wail for her!" (Jeremiah 51:6-8)

kp
Offline Jeannie  
#7 Posted : Saturday, July 28, 2007 10:13:54 AM(UTC)
Jeannie
Woman

Quote:
Babs isn't the only whore on this corner: she is the mother of harlots---all of 'em.

Gees, that gives pause for thought!!!