logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Samuel  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 25, 2008 2:48:49 PM(UTC)
Samuel

Now I know there is nothing in the bible condemning celebrating Birthdays, so how could they be of Pagan origin or considered Pagan?

There are only two known counts that I know of that people use to say Birthdays are bad:

1. Pharoah killed his baker on his Birthday.

2. Herod beheaded John the Baptist for his daughter on her bday. (Matthew 14:6-12)

So any thoughts on this. I didnt see anything in Yada Yahweh that said B-Days where pagan, just christmas, easter, etc... I will go back and look and see if I over read something. But if you have the answer feel free to drop a line. Thanks bros!
"For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places." -Ephesians 6:12
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 25, 2008 3:34:25 PM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I think alot of the party side of things is. Pointy hats and the like is something to do with pagan roots.... being that Paganisum is almost all about fertility - I would say birthdays are probably from Paganism... On the other hand I dont see (please set me straight if im wrong) that remebering the day you and your loved ones were born is an issue, its obvious that people kept a record of how old they were - as we know how old people where in scripture when they died...

Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline kp  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 25, 2008 3:42:32 PM(UTC)
kp

No pointy hats?! But they fit my head so well!

kp
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 25, 2008 11:51:11 PM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Does that mean you have a pointy head?

I dunno how true it all is but I heard they were reminisant of "wizzards hats"

Offline kp  
#5 Posted : Friday, September 26, 2008 4:22:23 AM(UTC)
kp

No wizards here, Robski, just a pointy-headed sinner who nevertheless loves and trusts Yahshua with every fiber of my pointy-headed being.

As far as the original thread is concerned, it appears that Yahweh marked Yahshua's birthday, sort of. My research (see the FH Chronology Appendix) convinced me that He was born on the Feast of Tabernacles, 2 BC. That doesn't fulfill the miqra, however, for it comes last in the series, not first. But receiving the earth's throne on Sukkot, 2033 will make a nice birthday present for our King, don't you think? Of course, He'll have to blow out the candles first.

kp
Offline Samuel  
#6 Posted : Friday, September 26, 2008 6:51:53 AM(UTC)
Samuel

Yea those point hats do make sense LOL!!! But thx again guys LOL!!!
"For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places." -Ephesians 6:12
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#7 Posted : Friday, September 26, 2008 6:54:32 AM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

See now thes thread reminds me of the film "Cone heads" - remeber that? They were really good at diving because of there cone shaped head made entry into the water really slick.

Anyway...

So basically - marking birthdays, there isnt any evidence against but a little bit for... which I would agree with Ken being Tabbs and the 2033 event (by the way, has anyone ordered the bunting yet?) - some of the traditions incorporated into Birthdays could have roots in paganism but only because pretty much everything does.

So Sam, just chill about it and let Ken cut you some cake :) If its incorrect, Yah will let us know. Although I think it would be more obvious in scripture.

Quote:
Yea those point hats do make sense LOL!!! But thx again guys LOL!!!

well - In my own opinion I think its more of a tenuous link than a call back to wizzard hats...
Offline Matthew  
#8 Posted : Friday, September 26, 2008 7:38:25 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Great posts guys!

But I personally feel embarrassed on my birthday, I even have a photo of me as a little kid in my mother's arms all shy and stuff while my friends were standing around the birthday table with a cake decorated with little farm-style animals every where. I'm still the same today, keeping my birthday low-key, sometimes I would rather forget about it. I usualy just have a family dinner and close friends over. Here in Brazil people go all out for birthdays, a child's birthday is the worst, it's almost compulsory to invite everybody, we gotta break the bank twice a year for our two kids, sometimes even asking for donations from the grandparents to help cover the cost.

But I like the family getting together on birthdays, it's nice getting together with family.
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#9 Posted : Friday, September 26, 2008 8:07:49 AM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Yea Matthew - its still the same in the UK, 90% of people have a low key event - nothing like what you see in America.
Offline In His Name  
#10 Posted : Sunday, September 28, 2008 7:05:33 PM(UTC)
In His Name

I find it fascinating how answers/information so often pops up at just the right time. The site below was listed on the forum by Yada. Chapter 17 addresses birthdays. I can't account for the accuracy of author, but I felt comfortable with what was said.

Here are a few of the highlights:

Quote:
According to Godís Word, when a person is born they are dead in their sins!

ìAnd you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and
sins.î Ephesians 2:1

When a person is born again through Christ, they become a new creation.

ìWherefore if any man is in Christ, he is a new creature: the old
things are passed away; behold, they are become new.î
2 Corinthians 5:17

This is the symbolism of baptism. The old man is buried and the new man in
Christ is born.

ìThe like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us
(not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a
good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus
Christ.î 1 Peter 3:21

Celebrating the day of ones birth is giving honor to the ìfleshî man, that part of
the human nature born with the sin of Adam ñ a rebellious creature that wars
against God.

More after the jump....http://www.buzzardhut.net/Documents/Blinded.Sun.pdf
“Because he clings to Me, is joined to Me, loves and delights in Me, desires Me, therefore I will deliver him, carry him safely away, cause him to escape from harm making him inaccessible and strong, and delivering him safely to heaven, because he has known, observed, cared for, recognized, instructed and advised others to use, designated, acknowledged, discerned, answered in, My name, authority, character, report, mark, and nature." Psalm 91:14
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#11 Posted : Sunday, September 28, 2008 11:24:17 PM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

nice find!

But is he saying that in celebrating your birthday you are celebrating your sin?
Offline Matthew  
#12 Posted : Monday, September 29, 2008 3:17:43 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Robskiwarrior wrote:
nice find!

But is he saying that in celebrating your birthday you are celebrating your sin?

I think he's saying that we should be celebrating the day we prayed the sinners prayer and became new creatures. He's saying that celebrating our earthly birthdays is of the flesh, but he says nothing about its link to paganism in that short passage.

From my point the Scriptures don't really discuss the matter, I think celebrating a birthday is harmless, just buy a cake and a few presents. Hmmm, what's the origin of the cake, candles and pointy hats?
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#13 Posted : Monday, September 29, 2008 4:40:10 AM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Ahh I see, move your birthday to the special prayer born-again day... how very christian lol
Offline In His Name  
#14 Posted : Monday, September 29, 2008 5:37:27 AM(UTC)
In His Name

Again, I can't account for the validity of the references (the Josephus quote is short and I do not know the context; also I found a glaring error as he compared coins minted by Constantine and a pope several centuries later.. the backs of the coins were obviously the same coin), never the less, here is how he addresses your questions:

Quote:
The early Christians took many of their traditions from Judaism. As documented
by Josephus, the pagan practice of honoring the day of one™s birth was not
followed by these True Believers.
ìNay, indeed, the law does not permit us to make festivals at
the births of our children . . .li2
Modern birthday parties as we know them originated in Germany. The birthday
child received gifts and a cake ringed with candles. This practice came from the
cakes offered to the Greek goddess Artemis every month. Because the full moon
glows with the reflected light of the sun, the cakes were round and decorated with
lit candles.
Although the early Christians shunned birthday celebrations, they did remember
the days that fellow believers were martyred for their faith in Christ. This was the
example the Lord left when He told the disciples to remember Him.
i€–this do in remembrance of me.lm Luke 22:19c

Still no word on pointy hats though. But the pope wears pointy hats, perhaps we should take our cue from that. ;)

The site goes on to suggest that Constantine made use of birthdays to help bring the pagans into the newly created 'christianized sun god' religion. One of the precepts of the sun god religions was the rebirth of diety. Apparently early christians did not celebrate the birth of Yahshua and this represented a stumbling block for the pagans. Adding the celebration of the birthday of christ (Yahshua) to the religion allowed the pagans to accept and assimilate the new religion more easily.
“Because he clings to Me, is joined to Me, loves and delights in Me, desires Me, therefore I will deliver him, carry him safely away, cause him to escape from harm making him inaccessible and strong, and delivering him safely to heaven, because he has known, observed, cared for, recognized, instructed and advised others to use, designated, acknowledged, discerned, answered in, My name, authority, character, report, mark, and nature." Psalm 91:14
Offline Theophilus  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, October 28, 2008 5:52:45 AM(UTC)
Theophilus
Man

After thinking about this discussion, I'm curious about whether observant Jews at least 1st century Jews noted the births of their fellows and tracked the ages of people within their society?

It seems to me the act of the "Wisemen" bringing gifts from the East to the new / recently born king apart from Herod indicates that birth was a significant event to atleast some Jews in that day. That angels heralded the birth to the nearby shepards would also inidcate that at least one birth was significant to Heaven. It also seems that Jews must have had some idea how old their young people were in order to recognize Bar / Bat Mitzvot.

We also read in the Good News accounts of Yahushua's teaching in his (heavenly) Father's house at about age 12. Does this imply that some Jews must have had some idea how old their fellows were and thought it was worthy of note?
Offline edStueart  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, October 29, 2008 4:10:34 PM(UTC)
edStueart

Samuel wrote:

1. Pharoah killed his baker on his Birthday.

That is between Pharaoh and R'a

Samuel wrote:

2. Herod beheaded John the Baptist for his daughter on her bday. (Matthew 14:6-12)

I am reasonably sure that would be a sin...
"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free."
But first, it will piss you off!
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#17 Posted : Thursday, October 30, 2008 4:05:41 AM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

welcome Ed :)
Offline Noach  
#18 Posted : Thursday, October 30, 2008 7:04:17 AM(UTC)
Noach

Here is what Yada has to say about birthdays:

"But before we delve into the fulfillment of Sukah, I feel compelled to clear up one of the most troubling myths poisoning Christendom - the substitution of Christmas for Tabernacles. To begin, celebrating birthdays in general, and God's specifically, is a religious rite born and bred in Babylon. Mother Earth was said to be impregnated by the sun on Easter, the Sun-day closest to the Vernal Equinox. Nine months later, on the Winter Solstice, the Son of the Sun was born. Catholics have come to call this festival "Christmas." Yet, celebrating either date, the two holiest on the Christian calendar, is an abomination from Yahweh's perspective."

I think it is pretty clear that the birthday celebration, with the candles on fire, the cake, the wishes, the party are all very pagan. And let's not forget Job's family had their house collapse on them while celebrating their day (birthday). Job would make sacrifices for this paganism.

If you choose to celebrate birthdays just because there not specifically prohibitted by Yah, then you might as well go ahead and celebrate Easter, Christmas, Lent, All Saints Day, Halloween, and Valentines Day, all of which aren't specifically prohibitted in Scripture but are as pagan as pagan gets. We stay away from this garbage because it's idolatry, which is very specifically prohibitted.

Noah
Offline Matthew  
#19 Posted : Thursday, October 30, 2008 8:43:19 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Welcome Ed! I checked your website out, it's always nice to see someone making a stand against Islam. You have some good videos.

Anyway, back to birthdays...

Noach wrote:
And let's not forget Job's family had their house collapse on them while celebrating their day (birthday). Job would make sacrifices for this paganism.

Job 1:4-5 (ISR) And his sons went and had a feast in the house of each on his day, and sent and invited their three sisters to eat and to drink with them. And it came to be, when the days of feasting had gone round, that Iyob would send and set them apart, and he would rise early in the morning and offer burnt offerings – the number of them all – for Iyob said, “It might be that my sons have sinned and cursed Elohim in their hearts.” This Iyob always did.

Both Job 1:4 and Genesis 40:20 have the word yowm to signify it being a birthday, just in Genesis 40:20 translators actually wrote the word "birthday" and in Job 1:4 the just said "day."

If having a feast on a person's birthday is sin in gereral then wouldn't it say that Job was certain they sinned, because it seems that Job was unsure if they had sinned or not. From my understanding he was concerned if they said or did anything while under the influence of wine and under the festive spirit. Like people getting a little too excited and doing something stupid.
Offline edStueart  
#20 Posted : Saturday, November 1, 2008 11:30:28 AM(UTC)
edStueart

Matthew wrote:
Like people getting a little too excited and doing something stupid.

THAT is the story of my life!
"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free."
But first, it will piss you off!
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#21 Posted : Saturday, November 1, 2008 3:02:31 PM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

right - time to get dirty and dig up some history on birthdays.

Noah you are right of course - if it is pagan I would want to drop it like its hot (as the wrapper says) but so far I havent personally found conclusive proof. To me that Job verse dosnt back up the case too well, and I dont like doing the one to two verse pluck. So im going to dig guys, smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!
Offline lassie1865  
#22 Posted : Tuesday, June 9, 2009 7:17:03 AM(UTC)
lassie1865
Woman

Dear Friends,

Surely the Jews as well as everybody else on the planet kept track of one's age and one's children's ages. I think the point is IN WHAT MANNER one celebrates. A family dinner and a family praying with thanksgiving for the birthday person without any carousing is OK; however, celebrating the day of one's birth in the Spirit would be even better. Of course, for little children, it's how they learn to count! And, of course, we should avoid teaching children to expect gifts . . . maybe it is a good opportunity to teach them to GIVE gifts at that time . . . hey, how about gifts to Mom and Dad for all the effort they expended to get the child here? And how about using the time to teach them about birth, and how they got here in the first place!

Blessings,

Lassie1865
Offline Samuel  
#23 Posted : Friday, July 17, 2009 6:42:03 AM(UTC)
Samuel

Wow im surprised to see this still going. But I will definently have to take a look at that Job passage with a concordance. But yea i think it matters in the manner we celebrate. The reason i asked is because I have a little one (4 years). Its hard enough spoiling him year round due to christmas being pagan lol but birthdays yea i guess i will have to change, just possibly a family gathering and let him eat all the sweets he wants you know. you can always do something different. thanks for the time and responses all!