logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Yada  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 28, 2008 4:05:45 AM(UTC)
Yada

I found this online and thought it raised an interesting question - if you had to choose, which book of Scripture would you consider the "best?" (Which book is your personal favorite? Why?)

Quote:
"Reading Poets on the Psalms gave me a new appetite for reading the Psalms."-Mark Jarman, author of Epistles

Today's Poets Provide Fresh Literary Perspectives on the Most Popular Book of the Bible

San Antonio (July 24, 2008) -- In the newly released Poets on the Psalms from Trinity University Press, editor Lynn Domina brings together fourteen modern day poets providing remarkable reverential, celebratory, antagonistic, and even erotic interpretations of the Psalms, approaching them from a personal, often autobiographical perspective, demonstrating how relevant they remain for today's readers.

Closely examining language and imagery as only poets can do, these writers show the enduring power of the Psalms to affect us in many ways relevant to our various contemporary lives. Exploring themes, rhythmic structure, and nuances of language alongside religion, Poets on the Psalms is a delightful synthesis of faith and poetry.

"Lynn Domina has used her own poet's sensibility to arrange this fascinating book of essays on the Psalms. They are approached here not by historians or exegetes, but first and foremost are reclaimed as a book of poetry, by contemporary poets who set down their craggy terrain from a plethora of different angels, starting points, and perspectives. The result is a lively and very diverse set of ‘variations' on the master themes of this ancient and (evidently) still living collection of poetry."
-- John McGuckin, Columbia University

The contributors to Poets on the Psalms are an engaging mix of emerging and established writers, among them David Citino, Madeleine DeFrees, Jill Alexander Essbaum, Alicia Ostriker, Carl Phillips, and Daniel Tobin. Including a former nun, a self-described left-wing Jew, a biracial gay man, a midrashic scholar, and a Texas rancher, the contributors to this anthology are a diverse group and represent the various and wide range of readers drawn to the Psalms.

About the Editor
Lynn Domina is the author of a collection of poetry, Corporal Works, as well as books on Lorraine Hansberry's A Raisin in the Sun and Leslie Marmon Silko's Ceremony. Her more recent poetry appears or is forthcoming in the Southern Review, Prairie Schooner, New Letters, Tiferet: A Journal of Spirituality and Literature, and Christianity and Literature, and she has been a featured poet at Heliotrope magazine's website. She lives in the western Catskills region of New York and teaches at the State University of New York in Delhi.

source

If you'd like to join the YY Study Group room on Paltalk - just click here. The lockword is: yadayahweh
You can download the free software here.
Hope to see everyone on Paltalk!
WARNING: Do not give out personal information (name, address, etc.) to anyone on Paltalk - ever!
Offline shalom82  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 28, 2008 7:14:52 AM(UTC)
shalom82

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I would have to say Bereshith/Genesis. I mean I love all of the scriptures, but I think in all honesty I could ponder the first book for the rest of my life and still learn something new every day and it wouldn't be tedious. My feet seem to tread the same earth that the patriachs walked when I read it. As far as the Besorim go, I would have to say Yahuchanan. It grasps the eternal magnitude of the ministry of Yahushua in such a tangible way that I just find my jaw dropped by it every time I read it.
YHWH's ordinances are true, and righteous altogether.
Offline Matthew  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 28, 2008 10:33:49 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
shalom82 wrote:
I would have to say Bereshith/Genesis.

Agree! I'm fascinated with this book. On the many occasion I've attempted to read the Scriptures from start to finish (no luck so far), I'm always thrilled to read this book. I enjoy the Joseph and brothers section.