logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline visitor  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 19, 2008 2:56:18 AM(UTC)
visitor

I am wondering if anyone has ever heard of a plausible scientific explanation for this event recorded in Joshua 10:12-14 (New Living Translation)?

Quote:
12 On the day the Lord gave the Israelites victory over the Amorites, Joshua prayed to the Lord in front of all the people of Israel. He said,

“Let the sun stand still over Gibeon,
and the moon over the valley of Aijalon.”

13 So the sun stood still and the moon stayed in place until the nation of Israel had defeated its enemies.Is this event not recorded in The Book of Jashar? The sun stayed in the middle of the sky, and it did not set as on a normal day.

14 There has never been a day like this one before or since, when the Lord answered such a prayer. Surely the Lord fought for Israel that day!
Offline Theophilus  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 21, 2008 4:00:13 PM(UTC)
Theophilus
Man

I've wondered about this one as well. While it wouldn't fit all of the events described it seems to me that a supernova could produce a "sun" in the sky in what was night hours. That a second sun is not described along with the sun and moon appearing to remain fixed makes me wonder if the preception of time flow is what slowed. I don't really know how the ancients of that era timed events but presumed that it was by solar or astrological observation. Would they have brought a water or mechanical clock to time the events? I wouldn't think so. The other options that occur to me would be supper natural. I'll be interested to read others thoughts on this?

Offline Yah Tselem  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2008 11:46:59 AM(UTC)
Yah Tselem
Man
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
While trying to figure this out, I came upon another verse: “‘And it shall come to pass in that day,’ says Almighty Yahweh, ‘That I will make the sun go down at noon, and I will darken the earth in broad daylight.’” (Amos 8:9)

So instead of providing the answer, I doubled the questions :)
Offline Theophilus  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2008 3:44:43 AM(UTC)
Theophilus
Man

Yah Tselem wrote:
While trying to figure this out, I came upon another verse: “‘And it shall come to pass in that day,’ says Almighty Yahweh, ‘That I will make the sun go down at noon, and I will darken the earth in broad daylight.’” (Amos 8:9)

So instead of providing the answer, I doubled the questions :)

Okay, does this mean that the sun will appear to be visably slipping below the western horizon at 12:00 noon local in Jerusalem or that the sun's light will not reach the Earth's surface in that that local place and time? If the later any obscurring event in the atmosphere will accoplish this. A solar eclipse would fit the description as would an intense cloud cover from a volcanic erruption or other event say a meteor strike. Again these would be natural events which at the time, place and purpose Yah describes would imply a fulfillment. Could Amos be describing a more extraordinary supernatural event? It seems possible.
Offline Yada  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 25, 2008 3:47:20 PM(UTC)
Yada

I found this free audio recording online:

Quote:
The Long Day of Joshua
Detailed study of 10:12-13. Catastrophe models. Calendar study. Orbital resonance.
If you'd like to join the YY Study Group room on Paltalk - just click here. The lockword is: yadayahweh
You can download the free software here.
Hope to see everyone on Paltalk!
WARNING: Do not give out personal information (name, address, etc.) to anyone on Paltalk - ever!
Offline Matthew  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 28, 2009 5:51:53 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
So what really happened guys? Joshua 10:11 does indicate a natural event in that hailstones got thrown from the air, maybe this links with the sun appearing to stand still, I don't know.

Joshua 10:11 And it came to be, as they fled before Yisra’ĕl and were on the descent of Bĕyth Ḥoron, that יהוה (Yahweh) threw down large hailstones from the heavens on them as far as Azĕqah, and they died. There were more who died from the hailstones than those whom the sons of Yisra’ĕl had slain with the sword.
Offline Heretic Steve  
#7 Posted : Monday, February 16, 2009 11:41:21 AM(UTC)
Heretic Steve

The gravitational pull from the passing (possibly a near miss), of a celestial object, (large asteroid/comet/small planet), caused the earth's spin to slow/cease, then resume it's spin as the object, and it's gravitational pull/influence, continued off into space. From what I understand, that's about the only thing that could cause the "earth to stand still" so to speak.
If not us, who? If not now, when?
Offline Matthew  
#8 Posted : Monday, February 16, 2009 12:14:50 PM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Steve, do you have any sources to explain more of that supposed event?

EDIT:

After a bit of google searching I came across articles that call this Influenced Rotation, when a celestial object affects the rotation of another celestial object.
Offline In His Name  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, February 17, 2009 4:56:28 AM(UTC)
In His Name

Heretic Steve wrote:
The gravitational pull from the passing (possibly a near miss), of a celestial object, (large asteroid/comet/small planet), caused the earth's spin to slow/cease, then resume it's spin as the object, and it's gravitational pull/influence, continued off into space. From what I understand, that's about the only thing that could cause the "earth to stand still" so to speak.

My college physics classes ended decades ago, but I think most of the fundamental laws are still in tact. if a 'near miss' slowed or stopped the earth's rotation, you would need another similar but opposite event to restart it. I don't see how this type of event(s) is likely. Spin a ball, if you stop it then release it does it start spinning again?

Sorry, I don't have anything to offer as an explanation of the event. But it does seem that Yah works using existing natural law, so i think the answer is a 'natural' event.
“Because he clings to Me, is joined to Me, loves and delights in Me, desires Me, therefore I will deliver him, carry him safely away, cause him to escape from harm making him inaccessible and strong, and delivering him safely to heaven, because he has known, observed, cared for, recognized, instructed and advised others to use, designated, acknowledged, discerned, answered in, My name, authority, character, report, mark, and nature." Psalm 91:14
Offline Heretic Steve  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, February 17, 2009 12:10:54 PM(UTC)
Heretic Steve

A ball would not start spinning of it's own accord. If spun by some external force, such as a ball bat, it eventually would stop spinning. The earth did'nt start spinning of it's own accord. Apparently, some external force initiated the spinning and continues to do so. Whatever caused the earth to temporarily stop spinning, would have to have the same effect on the oceans and the atmosphere, otherwise the oceans would slosh over the continents from the east once the spinning slowed/stopped, and then the reverse effect would occur from the west once the spinning resumed. If the atmosphere did not stop spinning with the earth, the result would be wind velocities of around a zillion mph. This would have resulted in the Amorites going airborne, as well as Joshua, Israel, and everything else on the planet that was'nt nailed down. Whatever effected the earth's spin, would have had to effect everything else, (atmosphere/oceans). I believe gravity is the only thing that could have done this as the effect would have been universal. What started the earth to resume spinning? The same external force that started the spinning in the first place and was temporarily overwhelmed by a stronger gravitational force. I personally don't believe in miracles per say. Yah does not violate His moral or spiritual laws, so I see no reason to believe He violates His laws of physics. He does not need to. If so, then why invent them in the first place? All so-called miracles can be explained via His laws of physics. Notice I said "His laws of physics" as opposed to the "known laws of physics". Most physical law we are unaware of and probably always will be, at least in this life. There is a reason why Einstein referred to E=mc2 as a "theory". What is "supernatural/miraculous" to us, is routine to Yah. It's how He operates.
If not us, who? If not now, when?
Offline In His Name  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, February 17, 2009 5:05:25 PM(UTC)
In His Name

Heretic Steve wrote:
A ball would not start spinning of it's own accord. If spun by some external force, such as a ball bat, it eventually would stop spinning. The earth did'nt start spinning of it's own accord. Apparently, some external force initiated the spinning and continues to do so. Whatever caused the earth to temporarily stop spinning, would have to have the same effect on the oceans and the atmosphere, otherwise the oceans would slosh over the continents from the east once the spinning slowed/stopped, and then the reverse effect would occur from the west once the spinning resumed. If the atmosphere did not stop spinning with the earth, the result would be wind velocities of around a zillion mph. This would have resulted in the Amorites going airborne, as well as Joshua, Israel, and everything else on the planet that was'nt nailed down. Whatever effected the earth's spin, would have had to effect everything else, (atmosphere/oceans). I believe gravity is the only thing that could have done this as the effect would have been universal. What started the earth to resume spinning? The same external force that started the spinning in the first place and was temporarily overwhelmed by a stronger gravitational force. I personally don't believe in miracles per say. Yah does not violate His moral or spiritual laws, so I see no reason to believe He violates His laws of physics. He does not need to. If so, then why invent them in the first place? All so-called miracles can be explained via His laws of physics. Notice I said "His laws of physics" as opposed to the "known laws of physics". Most physical law we are unaware of and probably always will be, at least in this life. There is a reason why Einstein referred to E=mc2 as a "theory". What is "supernatural/miraculous" to us, is routine to Yah. It's how He operates.

You had my head spinning for a minute... I agree completely, but for it too happen like this takes so much coincidental action, God would be performing a miracle outside of rational nature (not that He can't, He just doesn't seem to work that way). It is quite the cunundrum.
“Because he clings to Me, is joined to Me, loves and delights in Me, desires Me, therefore I will deliver him, carry him safely away, cause him to escape from harm making him inaccessible and strong, and delivering him safely to heaven, because he has known, observed, cared for, recognized, instructed and advised others to use, designated, acknowledged, discerned, answered in, My name, authority, character, report, mark, and nature." Psalm 91:14
Offline Yada  
#12 Posted : Friday, March 6, 2009 6:20:58 PM(UTC)
Yada

Speaking of "earth's," from CNN:

Quote:
Spacecraft blasts off in search of 'Earths'
NASA launched a telescope that will search our corner of the Milky Way galaxy for Earth-like planets, calling it a mission that may fundamentally change humanity's view of itself. developing story
Yada attached the following image(s):
spacecraft.02.nasa.jpg
If you'd like to join the YY Study Group room on Paltalk - just click here. The lockword is: yadayahweh
You can download the free software here.
Hope to see everyone on Paltalk!
WARNING: Do not give out personal information (name, address, etc.) to anyone on Paltalk - ever!