logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 11, 2008 2:16:47 AM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hellooo

Right I have heard an argument that I would like to discuss.

Is it the cycle of the moon or is it counting in 7's that is correct. The argument I have heard is that its been a good few thousand years since the start, so if we are counting, surely one day we might have missed a day? can keeping track of the days be that easy? I mean I thought it was actually Thursday today!!

How can we be sure that Saturday is still actualy Saturday and not some how slipped to Thursday...

Please Scripture, thoughts, sources, info, ideas, you know :D Ken I am sure you have read something about this :)

Here are 2 luna sites that promote the luna idea.

www.creationcalendar.com
www.lunarsabbath.com

creationcalendar.com wrote:

Points to Ponder regarding the Creator's weekly Sabbath

1. The Battle of Jericho was a seven consecutive day battle. Which day was the Sabbath?
2. Genesis 1:14 says that the luminaries in the heavens are for signs, seasons (Hebrew word mo'edim)
days and years.
3. Psalm 104:19 specifically says that the Moon is appointed for seasons (mo'edim again).
4. Leviticus 23:1-3 point blank says that the Sabbath is the first feast (mo'edim again).
5. Can you go outside and look at the sun and tell me what day of the week or month it is?
6. Strong's Exhaustive Concordance says that the Hebrew word #4150, mo'edim, means set times,
times appointed, feasts, etc.
7. Scripture doesn't say WHICH of the appointments are regulated by the moon, which can only
mean that ALL of them are regulated by the moon.
8. Every weekly Sabbath that can be date identified in Scripture is always on the 8th, 15th, 22nd or
29th of the month (not the Gregorian months).
9 There is a $10,000 reward offered to anyone who can produce a weekly Sabbath on a date other
than the ones above.

$10,000 - sounds like a fun study to me! LOL
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline kp  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 11, 2008 7:09:38 AM(UTC)
kp

Oh, it's way worse than that, Robski. The moon takes about 27.3 days (the “sidereal month”) to orbit the earth, but because the earth itself is in motion in its orbit around the sun, it takes 29.530588 days (the “synodic month”) to return to the same relative point in our celestial sphere—this synodic month is marked by our observation of the phases of the moon. That means that in any given "month" (as observed by the phase of the moon---that is, a lunar month) you're going to be off by roughly a day and a half if you're trying to line up the Sabbath day with the lunar cycle, since 7 doesn't go into 29.53 evenly. The Hebrews were instructed to not only observe the weekly Sabbath, but also each new moon, although the Torah makes no attempt to corelate them. So to my mind, they're both significant, but for different reasons.

The Sabbath (the last day of a seven-day week) is relatively easy to figure out---even the second Temple era rabbis had observed that Yahweh's plan for man's tenure on the earth would mirror the seven day week. They said there would be two thousand years of chaos, two thousand of Torah, two thousand of Messiah (what's the Hebrew word for "oops?") and a final one thousand year period of renewal---something we today would call the Millennial reign of Yahshua. The Millennium is thus represented by the Sabbath day.

The significance of the month is harder to see. Never given it much thought before. It appears that its primary significance is that it's cyclical. One begins at the new moon with darkness, and moves toward a season of light. It may be noteworthy that every mo'ed of Yahweh falls in the part of the lunar cycle that fits its spiritual character: Nisan 14, 15, and 16 (Passover, Unleavened Bread, and Firstfruits) are at the full moon---the phase of maximum light. Pentecost (Sivan 6, the Feast of Weeks---the inauguration of the ekklesia) is "dark but getting lighter." And the world is plunged back into darkness at Tishri 1, Yom Teruah, the Feast of Trumpets---which marks the rapture, the exodus of the ekklesia from this world prior to the Tribulation. By Tishri 10, The Day of Atonement, it's getting light again, and we reach maximum brightness when King Yahshua takes the throne on the Feast of Tabernacles, Tishri 15, the full moon.

I honestly can't see the point in trying to force every seven day week into a 29.5300588-day month. What's really significant to me, rather, is that both the definitive Feast of Unleavened Bread (in 33) and the coming definitive Feast of Tabernacles (in 2033) will fall not only at the full moon (as they must, being on the 15th of the lunar month) but also on Sabbath days (as they're required to do by scripture). We as believers should be looking for truth, not mere fact.

kp
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 11, 2008 7:43:45 AM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Thanks ken, thats a great answer.

So do you think then that we have been accurate in our counting? And that for example the Fri-Sat Sabbath is actually when its ment to be, and we havnt lost a few days making it like? Like I did today when I was sure it was Thursday, maybe someone thought it was a Thursday and it actually was Sabbath... implications being we are off by a day (or maybe more).

These are just some questions I have heard from people, just thought it would be interesting to get down what we know.

I have been thinking about it alot today, and the reason I not believe it to be friday and not thursday is that my wife said "its friday you ideot" - so surely there were other peoples wifes around to set the day count right? lol

Alot of these sites say there is no proof for a 7 day non-linked luna calendar in Scripture... do you believe this to be true? (thats you as in everyone not just ken :D)

ALSO on a side thought, is it only in Ezekiel that the New Moon starts getting mentioned - I cant remeber it being anyway as oftenly mentioned as in Ezekiel... surely that has to point to some propheticness of it in there?
Offline kp  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 11, 2008 10:48:23 AM(UTC)
kp

If I were a betting man, I'd be willing to lay down odds that the Sabbath is precisely where it's supposed to be---that the children of Israel haven't gotten jogged off a day or two in the last 3,500 years. After all, they've never been reduced to a population of, say, dozens---even in the dark days of Elijah, when it seemed to the prophet that "nobody" was following Yahweh anymore, there were still (according to Yahweh's count) "still seven thousand who had not bowed the knee to Ba'al." That's seven thousand guys who had godly wives who, when they got confused, could tell them, "You idiot, put that hammer down, it's almost sunset: it'll be Shabbat in fifteen minutes!" There's no chance that they---as a nation---lost track. Not even in the diaspora.

You've gotta ask yourself: who would demand "proof for a seven-day week that's not linked to the lunar calendar"? That's like asking for proof that the sky is blue or that pigs don't fly. There's no "proof" offered, because the truth is butt-obvious. You count the days from Sabbath to Sabbath. It's not hard. One, two, three.... And you observe the phases of the moon. If you have clear skies, you can pin it down within a couple months of observation to a time span of about twenty nine and a half days. It's not rocket science (at least, not calculating the length of the synodic lunar month).

What's intriguing, however, is the factoid (and I haven't spent any time trying to verify or deny this) that significant stuff in God's plan "always" happens in months when the Sabbath falls on a new moon. That's maybe something worth chasing down. By the way, although Ezekiel makes specific mention of new moon observances, it goes all the way back to Numbers 28:11-15 where there's instruction for what to offer on the occasion of the beginning of each month. In Exodus 12, it is clear that the Israelites were to scrupulously keep track of the date according to the lunar calendar that was to start at the new moon in Abib/Nisan every year. One thing's for sure: I like your new word---"propheticness"---Robski.

kp
Offline Mike  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 11, 2008 11:33:12 AM(UTC)
Mike

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Robski,
This is a timely post for me. I was discussing this very subject, Lunar Sabbath with some people on Wednesday night. I have thought about this for a little while, if the lunar orbit was exactly 28 days per month then the lunar sabbath would make perfect sense. But alas it is not. Then I was thinking about wether or not the days were lost track of. But Yahuweh's arm is not too short that he couldn't have kept the days in order for thousands of years without loosing a day or two (quote from Robski, "How can we be sure that Saturday is still actualy Saturday and not some how slipped to Thursday... ").

Ken,
Thanks for the explanation. I'll relay this info to the people I was discussing the Lunar Sabbath with last Wednesday night.
Offline shalom82  
#6 Posted : Friday, July 11, 2008 9:10:25 PM(UTC)
shalom82

Shabbat Shalom,
I hope everyone is recognizing and rejoicing in Abba YHWH's blessings on this Shabbat. I personally am thankful for the continued health of my watermelon and canteloupe plants. They aren't ready yet, but I wish you guys were here to share some with me when they are. That would indeed be a blessed shabbat.

Anyway, I will keep it short. There was a post several months ago that was pertinent to this post, and I thought that I might link to it so that anyone who was interested could view it.

http://forum.yadayahweh....t.aspx?g=posts&t=600

YHWH Immakhem, YHWH be with you

Shalom
YHWH's ordinances are true, and righteous altogether.
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#7 Posted : Saturday, July 12, 2008 1:37:14 AM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

thanks Shalom :) I thought there was a good one somewhere :)
Offline BiynaYahu  
#8 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2008 4:43:34 PM(UTC)
BiynaYahu
Man

Understanding, discernment, and grace from our dad YAHUWEH,

So, I was going through eliyah.com, and I noticed he wrote an article where he beats the concept of the lunar sabbath soundly. So, if anyone is interested here is the link: Beware of the "Lunar Sabbath"

Your loving brother,
Mike Br.

Edited by user Sunday, August 24, 2008 6:11:26 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Someone who does not dearly love or welcome, entertain, look fondly upon or cherish people with strong affection or highly esteem them with great favour, goodwill or benevolence, be loyal to or greatly adore them has not known or understood, perceived or realized, noticed or discerned, discovered or observed, experienced or ascertained, learned about or distinguished, comprehended, acknowledged or recognized God*, for concerning this, God* is and exists as brotherly love and affection, good will, esteem and benevolence.