logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Yada  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 25, 2008 5:28:43 PM(UTC)
Yada

Quote:
Posted: Friday, June 20, 2008 at 5:50 am ET
Sons and Daughters of God -- The Wonder of Adoption

The doctrine of adoption is one of the sweetest dimensions of salvation as revealed in Scripture. Joel R. Beeke has written an inspiring and informative work on the doctrine that looks particularly to the Puritans for guidance. Heirs with Christ: The Puritans on Adoption [Reformation Heritage Books] will educate and encourage Christians and help believers to understand the wonder of adoption and the comfort and challenge this represents for the Christian life.

An excerpt:

Above all, the Puritans use the truth of adoption to transform God's needy children through powerful comforts. Thomas Hooker shows how adoption comforts them in the face of their unworthiness, outward poverty, the contempt of the world, infirmities, afflictions, persecutions, and dangers. When oppressed with sin, buffeted by Satan, enticed by the world, or alarmed by fears of death, believers are able to take refuge in their precious, heavenly Father, saying with [Samuel] Willard, "Am I not still a child? And if so, then I am sure, that though he correct me (and I deserve it, nor will I refuse to submit myself patiently unto it) yet he cannot take away his loving kindness from me."

The book is available through Amazon.com here.

Source.
Yada attached the following image(s):
HeirswithChrist.jpg
If you'd like to join the YY Study Group room on Paltalk - just click here. The lockword is: yadayahweh
You can download the free software here.
Hope to see everyone on Paltalk!
WARNING: Do not give out personal information (name, address, etc.) to anyone on Paltalk - ever!
Offline bitnet  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 25, 2008 10:33:23 PM(UTC)
bitnet

Shalom,

This is really sweet. I have not read the book so I cannot comment on it but I do know what it means to be seen as a member of a close-knit family, let alone one belonging to the Creator. So, after adoption, what surname do we get? Is it mentioned in the book? Cannot be Ken ben Christ or Yada ben Christ... ;-) Sorry for being a little facetious. It's just that I get a little emo when I see books published by clergy for sale. Typically such books contain more untruth than truth. But it is nice to belong... I can imagine Robski whistling and humming to this...
The reverence of Yahweh is the beginning of Wisdom.
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 25, 2008 10:44:54 PM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
bah - thats Mr Christ to you!

No but seriously, I believe the idea of "adoption" is an ok annalogy to look at what happens when you come into relationship with Yah... the problems come when you THINK about the implications of that "adoption"...

Yes yes, the adoption happens and you get your share as a son/daughter whatever from the father - quick everyone get adopted... BUT what does He require from us? Nothing?! Well that isnt scriptual... Surely if we are adopted into His familiy we have to follow the rules of his house...

I think there are alot more negatives for christianity to claim adoption than they think...

But yea bit, I feel pretty much exactly the same emo way you do when I see books like this for sale, but then walking into a christian bookshop is quite painful these days.
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline RhodaRose  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 9, 2010 4:57:05 AM(UTC)
RhodaRose

There certainly is a "wonder of adoption" especially when Yeshua, speaking the Words of our Father, said:

John 3:3 Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Adoption is a far cry from being Born Again!!

I would love for someone knowledgable in Hebrew or Greek to run a check on this word "adoption" and why it was translated as such. What I have studied on this I have found in Strong's Greek #5206 -it is only a presumed compound of #5207 -of which is only used very widely of remote or figurative kinship.

I don't want to think of myself as "adopted" but as Born Again into Life! Not the same old creature in a new "home" but a new Creature born in the likeness of our Creator and raised up fresh and new in His image. Just as He has said "Born Again"...

John 3:5-7 Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the Kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be Born Again.
John 4:24 God is Spirit: and they that Worship Him must Worship Him in Spirit and in Truth.