logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Yada  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 25, 2008 4:44:14 AM(UTC)
Yada

I found this article online:

Quote:
The Gospel According to the Boss
By Ron Csillag

To millions of fans, he's "the Boss," the blue-jeaned troubadour of the American heartland who finds nobility in the grind of daily life.

Across 35 years in dozens of rock anthems, from "Born to Run" to "Glory Days" to "Born in the U.S.A.," Bruce Springsteen has chronicled lost souls, haunted war veterans, gritty factory workers, and highways jammed with broken heroes -- but also advanced themes of redemption, hope and keeping the faith.

It's been a rich vein of spiritual motifs, and the politically progressive 58-year-old singer/songwriter has given voice to society's dispossessed. His work of late has been bleak, brooding and introspective, even grieving.

But the Boss as spiritual guidepost?

Jeffrey Symynkywicz, a Unitarian Universalist minister on Boston's South Shore and dedicated Springsteen fan, has pored over the singer's rich, multi-layered lyrics and viewed them through a theological lens. The result is the new "The Gospel According to Bruce Springsteen," the latest addition to a crowded genre that mines the spiritual in pop culture.

A Harvard Divinity School graduate, Symynkywicz stresses that he's not out to peddle the First Church of Bruce. His admiration for Springsteen is rooted more in the inspirational and empathetic than the theological.

"What's inspiring about him is that he has so much to say about different life stages that we all go through," Symynkywicz said from his church in suburban Stoughton, Mass. "The thing I really like about his music as I've gotten older is that he gets older too. His music deepens and matures and he sings like a grown-up."

It's been a frenzied, often frightening time -- one Springsteen has faced unflinchingly -- and he's brought the rest of us along for the ride.

"When we discern that Springsteen is `there' for us -- when we feel as though he is addressing us directly and personally in his songs," Symynkywicz writes, "his work seems to put down strong roots in our own experience. His music helps us to make sense of the sometimes tangled, often disparate threads of our lives."

At its foundation, Symynkywicz adds, it's a religious undertaking, a ministry of healing -- a task that gets to the very meaning of the word religion. But Springsteen's canon is neither sufficiently creedal nor doctrinaire to stand up as theology, Symynkywicz emphasizes.

"What he does for me is help me discern my own traditions, my own personal theology and faith -- but more deeply."

So it's more like good news -- "the affirmation that no principality or power -- no forces seen or unseen, no terror-mad souls or devilish plots -- can ever separate us from the love that is in our souls."

The Boss himself does not shy away from overt religious imagery. "Jesus was an only son as he walked up Calvary Hill," he sang on 2005's "Devils & Dust." Springsteen was raised a Roman Catholic in New Jersey and attended a parochial school where, according to one biography, he clashed with both the nuns and other students.

He told the New York Times a couple of years ago that he isn't a churchgoer, but "as I got older, I got less defensive about it. I thought, I've inherited this particular landscape, and I can build it into something of my own."

It's not so much Springsteen's personal faith in which Symynkywicz finds comfort, but in the singer's working-class roots.

"It was very much like the working class family I grew up in ... the same kinds of fights with my father," the author says. "That's why I recognize in him the reality of when he sings about working people and (their) limited horizons, but also the palpable reality of real life. It's authentic."

Symynkywicz, 53, chuckles when asked whether his congregants are accustomed to Springsteen-infused sermons. "They're probably sick of hearing it," he says. He's seen the Boss in concert seven times, which makes him a far cry from being a "Tramp" -- the diehards who follow the singer around everywhere.

Still, the author does what few fans have: dissect Springsteen's 250-song catalogue over 14 studio albums, starting with 1973's "Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J." to last year's "Magic." He unearths a treasure trove of hard-knock life lessons, analogues to biblical passages and other spiritual writings, and examples of redemption, courage, hope and love.

Symynkywicz's book is the latest in a niche that looks for, and sometimes finds, the spiritual in the pop landscape, ranging from Peanuts to "The Simpsons," Harry Potter, "Seinfeld" and "Buffy the Vampire Slayer."

"Writers, singers, filmmakers and TV producers are the mythmakers for our times," the author explains. "People don't just want to consume popular culture -- though some people do -- they want to discern what's deeper in there and what meaning it gives their lives."

Ultimately, Symynkywicz sees a kind of rough, defiant hope in Springsteen's songs.

"He's hopeful rather than optimistic. `Everybody has a reason to begin again,' he sings in `Long Walk Home.' There's always a reason to go on.

"But it's a tough hope in a tough world -- a world that isn't, on the surface, getting better. There is a hopefulness there -- that we can turn things around and move in a more progressive direction."

The caption on the photo below reads: "Rock icon Bruce Springsteen, seen here in a 2007 concert in Hartford, Conn., is the subject of a new book, "The Gospel According to Bruce Springsteen." Religion News Service file photo by David Molnar/The Star-Ledger of Newark, N.J."

Source.
Yada attached the following image(s):
bossconcert.jpg
If you'd like to join the YY Study Group room on Paltalk - just click here. The lockword is: yadayahweh
You can download the free software here.
Hope to see everyone on Paltalk!
WARNING: Do not give out personal information (name, address, etc.) to anyone on Paltalk - ever!
Offline bitnet  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 25, 2008 6:08:42 AM(UTC)
bitnet

The Boss' has created great social commentary through his craft and has deserved a following. But I doubt he'd want to be put up on a spiritual pedestal even though he's trying to mold the society through entertainment. Others such as Bob Dylan and even Woody Guthrie before him have done just as much if not more, but Bruce's Da Boss in the modern rock arena. Church of Bruce? Nah! Gospel of Bruce? Never. But he does want you to think, and feel... or feel and think.
The reverence of Yahweh is the beginning of Wisdom.
Offline Yada  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 25, 2008 6:26:16 PM(UTC)
Yada

Let's not forget about Tom Jones. From the BBC:

Quote:
Pastor defends Tom Jones church

A US preacher who has set up a church dedicated to the Welsh sex symbol and crooner Tom Jones has denied using religion in vain.

Pastor Jack Stahl said Jones's "soulful, spiritual and supernatural" voice helps him contact God.

The minister, based in Sacramento, California, uses his music in baptisms, marriages, funerals and exorcisms.

"I'm using his voice to get in touch with God and there's nothing wrong with that," he said.

Hypnotised

Jones is not the first personality to have a church dedicated to him. He shares the honour with Elvis Presley and jazz saxophonist John Coltrane.

The Welsh singer, who has been nicknamed The Voice, has enjoyed hits with songs like It's Not Unusual, Delilah and What's New Pussycat.

It's not the lyrics of his songs, it's his voice which is soulful, spiritual and supernatural
Pastor Jack Stahl

He was big in the 60s and 70s, when it was not unusual for adoring female fans to throw their underwear at him on stage.

However such behaviour is not encouraged by Pastor Jack, as he is known, who dresses up as Jones while conducting his services.

He said he discovered Jones in 1969 when he was only six-years-old watching the This is Tom Jones television programme.

"Instantly, I became hypnotised by that gyrating god and it was almost as if angels had surrounded me," he told the World Service's The Beat programme.

"So it just made sense that years later when I started my own ministry that I would incorporate the angelic voice of Tom Jones in it."

He said it was more to do with the quality of Jones's voice than his songs' lyrics that made his singing special.

"It could be Sex Bomb and still to me I will almost openly weep," he said.

"It's not the lyrics of his songs, it's his voice which is soulful, spiritual and supernatural."

He said he was not dogmatic about Jones and encouraged people at his non-denominational church to use whatever vehicle necessary to "get in touch with their higher power".

But he insisted he did not consider Jones to be a God.

"He is a mortal," he said. "He's a person like any of us. I don't think of him as being a deity."

When interviewed recently about Pastor Jack's church, Jones said he did not object to it.

"It's weird, but a positive thing," he said. "I inspired Pastor Jack. He saw the light through me, so it works."

The caption on the photo below reads: "Pastor Jack dresses up as Jones during his services."
Yada attached the following image(s):
tom jones.jpg
If you'd like to join the YY Study Group room on Paltalk - just click here. The lockword is: yadayahweh
WARNING: Do not give out personal information (name, address, etc.) to anyone on Paltalk - ever!
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 25, 2008 10:03:04 PM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
LOL "using religion in vain"
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline Yada  
#5 Posted : Friday, June 27, 2008 4:57:39 AM(UTC)
Yada

So that nobody feels left out:

Quote:
The Gospel According to John Grisham

Best-selling author John Grisham addressed his fellow Baptists Thursday at the Celebration of a New Baptist Covenant, an Atlanta meeting that brought together Baptists across racial, geographical and theological lines, and gave them his advice on ways to disarm critics of their faith group. Number One: Respect diversity "Who are we kidding when we try to exclude?" he asked. "God made all of us, he loves all of us equally and he expects us to love and respect each other without regard to race, gender, sexual orientation, biblical interpretation, denominations or other religions." Number Two: Stay out of politics "When the church gets involved in politics, it alienates many of the very people it is supposed to serve .... It causes hatred and it drives people away from the church and for this, these political Christians will pay a price." Number Three: Spend as much time on the streets as in the church "Jesus preached more and taught more about helping the poor and the sick and the hungry than he did about heaven and hell. Shouldn't that tell us something?"

What do you think? How would you rate the validity of Grisham's #'s 1, 2, and 3?

source
Offline Icy  
#6 Posted : Sunday, June 29, 2008 3:07:32 AM(UTC)
Icy
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
#1. I would agree that we should love and care about everyone. Now, what that means is different than what Grisham thinks. Respecting those false religions and letting people wallow in there ignorance and lies is not love. You can hate what people stand for or practice, and still love them.

#2. I think he is right here.

#3. Assuming there was a church that was not mired in pagan symbols and practices, or caught up in man's tradition, I would still say, "yes, you should be on the streets caring for the sick and hungry more than being 'in church.'" I think sick and hungry is synonomous with "orphans and widows."
Offline bitnet  
#7 Posted : Sunday, June 29, 2008 6:17:16 AM(UTC)
bitnet

Shalom All,

Regarding Grisham,
(1) needs to be qualified and Icy does a good job at it,
(2) is a no-no... if He had wanted to be political and enforce His views He could have done it at any time in the past but chose the future instead, and
(3) is a toughie... Messiah Yashuah did preach the Kingdom of Yahweh first! If one heard the message of the Kingdom first, then poverty pales in comparison as the poorest can have hope, if not for the present, then for the future as people who hear and believe are likely to be translated even if they die in poverty. At least they shall know that their poor lives are not in vain and that there is a greater purpose! Their hope shall not be so much in this world but in the next. As stated in Scripture, the poor shall always be with us. That said, we must not ignore the poor and the stricken and pretend that just spreading the message will do. We should care for those in need, beginning with those immediately around us in our family, whether earthly or spiritually.
The reverence of Yahweh is the beginning of Wisdom.