logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Yada  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 24, 2008 7:17:09 PM(UTC)
Yada

I always wondered about the orgins of this custom. The following is from Yahoo Answers:

Quote:
What is the origin of the phrase"keep your fingers crossed''?

One answer I found online: I've read that it's literally making the sign of the cross to ask for God's help. Interestingly, you can also cross your fingers behind your back to cover up a lie, and this supposedly comes from religious persecution; when people were asked if they were Christians, they would lie and say no to escape Roman retribution, but make the sign of the cross behind their back to ask God's forgiveness for the lie.

Another answer I found online: KEEP YOUR FINGERS CROSSED -- From "Random House Dictionary of Popular Proverbs and Sayings" by Gregory Y. Titelman: "Hope for success. The saying derives from the superstition that bad luck may be averted by making the sign of the cross.

Another response: But when things aren’t going “OK” and you just need some plain luck, what do you do? You cross your fingers, of course. Or some may ask you to “keep your fingers crossed” for them before they scratch that lottery ticket. This gesture originates from the custom of making a wish upon the cross. It was believed that the cross was a symbol of unity and that benign spirits dwelt at its intersecting point -- to wish on a cross was a figurative way of securing the wish at the intersection until it came true. This custom dates back to pre-Christian times and, in many early European cultures, two people were required to use their index fingers to form the sign, one to make the wish and the other to support it. Over the years, the custom was modified so one person could make a wish on his/her own.

So if you cross your fingers for, say, your favorite sports team to win and they make a last minute goal, touchdown, basket or whatever, you might exclaim, “Boy, that was in the nick of time!” And sport is exactly where that expression came from. Many centuries ago, points in a game -similar to today’s soccer -- were notched into wooden sticks called tallies. When a last minute score brought victory, it was called the “nick in time
.”

Apparently, when new priests are being ordained in the RCC, they must prostrate themselves and cross their arms in the shape of an 'X.'

Interesting.
If you'd like to join the YY Study Group room on Paltalk - just click here. The lockword is: yadayahweh
You can download the free software here.
Hope to see everyone on Paltalk!
WARNING: Do not give out personal information (name, address, etc.) to anyone on Paltalk - ever!