logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 23, 2008 4:08:05 AM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Ok so with the whole Todd Bentley thing that we have been looking into - and because of his charismatic nature - Toronto has reared its head in conversation... and along with that "spiritual experience".

Now before Todd appeared I think Yah had been challenging me on the whole spiritual experience, finding out what was real and what was fake, so on and so forth... as a Christian I was always told to be careful around things like that, my parents were quite against the whole Toronto thing really, although they did kind of put it down to the fact that "the Lord can do what he wants". They would never outwardly condemn it, possibly for fear of offending the Holy Spirit.

Ok so - confession - I loved it, and I loved hearing about it. It stirred me inside with excitement to hear of the things that "God" was doing over the pond, and I would have loved to have gone over to see and experience for myself. I was quite a charismatic person myself in that I would enjoy the feeling and emotions gained from attending big events with rooms full of loud hip Christian music and self-like believers. I was a true happy clappy.

recently its something Yah has been challenging me on, and then Todd Bentley pops up... and so I was just rambling on to Yah about how can we quantify the fact that people CAN have self made religious and spiritual experiences, due to hype and other such factors....

Well, suddenly - out of the blue - I remembered a guy called Derren Brown. Now Derren Brown is a UK TV act, he basically does mind tricks - now he claims he does not believe in any kind of spiritual thing or magic to help him accomplish what he does and that its all down to the power of suggestion. In my personally view, there surely must be something deeper going on - this guy is insanely good at what he does...

SO why am I on about Mr Brown.... Well a while ago - maybe over a year now I can’t remember, I did not watch it because I think I was scared of being challenged although I put it down to him just stirring up stuff being an atheist of something. I don’t think I wanted to see my experiences cheapened... He made a TV show where he was going to try and get an endorsement from 5 leading people in their field of expertise in the USA. These were...

Psychic readings.
Christianity evangelist - he can convert people with a touch.
Medium - in tune with the dead.
Crystals and new age dude - he claimed he could catch dreams in a crystal machine and read them in his own mind.
Alien abductee that could now tell people things about themselves.

Although the video title suggests, he doesn’t believe he is the Messiah, or anyone particularly special (or so he claims). You can find the series of videos here in 8 parts. If you want to see the Christianity bits it spans 3-4, but I would suggest watching it all:

Derren Brown - The so called Messiah 1-8
Derren Brown - The so called Messiah 2-8
Derren Brown - The so called Messiah 3-8
Derren Brown - The so called Messiah 4-8
Derren Brown - The so called Messiah 5-8
Derren Brown - The so called Messiah 6-8
Derren Brown - The so called Messiah 7-8
Derren Brown - The so called Messiah 8-8
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline bitnet  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 23, 2008 7:08:41 AM(UTC)
bitnet

I suppose that Derren will only really be of interest to me if he decides to become a politician. Otherwise, there are several others will similar tricks... and that's what most of it really is. And the ones that aren't may be the result of a relationship with the unseen but I don't really care. Mosheh and Aharon had to contend with magicians who could turn their staves into snakes as well so the occult has been with us for a long, long time.
The reverence of Yahweh is the beginning of Wisdom.
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 23, 2008 7:59:26 AM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

bitnet wrote:
I suppose that Derren will only really be of interest to me if he decides to become a politician. Otherwise, there are several others will similar tricks... and that's what most of it really is. And the ones that aren't may be the result of a relationship with the unseen but I don't really care. Mosheh and Aharon had to contend with magicians who could turn their staves into snakes as well so the occult has been with us for a long, long time.

hehe yea :)

I think the point I was trying to raise was there are people claiming no spiritual or higher power connection who can do as good or greater things in spiritual areas. The Christian section especially is at least a little proof of mind games working to create the illusion of divine activity, falling over for example or the spirit being in the room... Suggestions that the presence was getting bigger, thicker, heavier, better...

I wasn’t trying to raise claim to him being anyone we should be "concerned" about - just an example of how good deception can be.

Derren, whatever his reasons claims to be exposing some of the lies that happen within a religious or spiritual setting. He never discounts experiences that people have, he says that he just wants to flag up things that he can do as an non-believer and to be wary of these things.

And yes, I would be interested if he became a politician lol...

moving thread to twilight, as I suppose its not really reasearch on Derren...
Offline Matthew  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 23, 2008 3:12:08 PM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Toronto Blessings and Derren Brown? Now there's a word association if there ever was one!

While we're on the subject, I remember an episode where he (Derren Brown) climbed into a London taxi, he told the cabbie (driver) to take him to the London Eye (which looks like a giant wheel) and then started talking with the cabbie about how he had once lost a wheel on his little toy car as a kid and how he searched for it but couldn't find it. He kept going on and on about how he searched for it but could never find it. The cabbie kept driving around the Waterloo area, which is right there next to the London Eye and is in plane view, and the cabbie just couldn't see it. The cabbie even said to himself how he knows where it is and that it was in the area but just can't find it, he was even stunned that he couldn't find it. Eventually Derren said to the cabbie he'll just get off here and will walk to the London Eye, which as the camera showed was right next to him only a hundred or so yards away.

Mix this stuff in church and we'll have a circus!
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#5 Posted : Monday, June 23, 2008 10:20:59 PM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Yup matthew I saw that one too. He is kinda scarey...

Matthew wrote:

Mix this stuff in church and we'll have a circus!

Thats the point though, isnt it already? With some of the reports coming out from places like Toronto, and more recently Lakeland, these services sound more like a seaside holiday camp hypnotist show...