logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Matthew  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 6, 2008 12:09:20 PM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
What are New Moon Festivals because I see quite a few passages of Scripture mentioning it? Below are just 3 of 24 times I find New Moons mentioned:

Numbers 10:8-10 "The sons of Aaron, the priests, are to blow the trumpets. This is to be a lasting ordinance for you and the generations to come. When you go into battle in your own land against an enemy who is oppressing you, sound a blast on the trumpets. Then you will be remembered by the LORD your God and rescued from your enemies. Also at your times of rejoicing—your appointed feasts and New Moon festivals—you are to sound the trumpets over your burnt offerings and fellowship offerings, and they will be a memorial for you before your God. I am the LORD your God."

Psalm 81:1-4 "Sing for joy to God our strength; shout aloud to the God of Jacob! Begin the music, strike the tambourine, play the melodious harp and lyre. Sound the ram's horn at the New Moon, and when the moon is full, on the day of our Feast; this is a decree for Israel, an ordinance of the God of Jacob."

Isaiah 66:23 "'From one New Moon to another and from one Sabbath to another, all mankind will come and bow down before me,' says the LORD."
Offline bitnet  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 7, 2008 5:02:01 AM(UTC)
bitnet

Shalom,

This is an area I am slowly learning about as well. The recent muddle around the dates of Yom Taruw'ah and my experience a moon ago with some Messianic Nazarenes showed me why despite wanting to keep the New Moon festivals it is difficult to do so today with different people keeping different "times". Following Scripture, we should keep the new moons in mind as it is the only way to calculate the dates of the Moed'im. Without knowledge of the new moons we simply cannot figure out the appointed dates of the Feasts. The Messianic Nazarenes believe that we should follow Scripture and rely on the solid testimony of two witnesses in Yahrushalayim to sight the new moon with the naked eye. I presume that this is exactly how the Karaites figure it out as well so I shall put them together on the same calendar. The rabbinic groups have already calculated their own calendars from centuries ago and are not beholden to the visual sighting of the new moon. This means that there are two lunar calendars already. Today we have access to binoculars, telescopes and satellites and our calculations of the new moon are even more precise than ever before, potentially giving us a third calendar but which may be of no value if we are to rely on visual sighting by at least two witnesses in Israel "according to Scripture." I wonder whether we will ever reach consensus on the new moon, let alone how to celebrate it. Perhaps this is why we were told that we do not know the date nor the hour...
The reverence of Yahweh is the beginning of Wisdom.