logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Matthew  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 21, 2008 8:14:13 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Here is an question I got asked on another website forum:

A forum member of christiandl.com wrote:
"Could you succinctly summarize the hermeneutical principle you/Ken Power are applying to know which laws are fulfilled in Christ, which are merely symbolic of higher principles, and which are still to be followed literally?"

As I did not really know how to answer I asked the follow question directly to KP as I had a few other things to tell him regarding a formatting problem with the TOM website and a FH full pdf document to print out:

Matthew wrote:
I have no short answer to this question, don't even have a long answer because I still don't fully understand which are to be kept and which we don't need to, trying to understand which are for Natives (as sign bearers) and which are for Gentiles. I think people want a neat little package that says "literal, moral, civil, ritual, ceremonial, prophetic, spiritual, etc."

This was his response:

kp wrote:
I'm afraid "succinct" answers are how we got into such a state of abysmal ignorance in the first place. Pidgeonholing mitzvot into neat little categories will lead you astray every time. That's why I wrote (and continue to work on) The Owner's Manual. As far as "hermeneutical principles" are concerned, they're based on something I found in both the Torah and the New Testament: God has apparently required us to do things He's made it impossible to do. (Shown up at the temple for Passover lately?) Since Yahweh is not a sadistic, micromanaging control freak, I have no option other than to look for symbolic meaning in the literal precepts. But it's not that the literal precepts have no value, you understand: we should refrain from eating pork, but the overarching principle is that we must be discerning about what we bring into our lives. We should honor our fathers and mothers, but the bigger issue is taking Yahweh and His Holy Spirit seriously. We should not commit adultery, but God is actually teaching us the larger principle of spiritual faithfulness---of not joining ourselves to false gods. The same thought process applies to virtually everything in the Torah: sacrifices, tabernacle architecture, civil, criminal, and cultural law, dietary precepts, cleanliness laws, agriculture, the calendar with its schedule of "appointments"---everything. Keeping the Torah's literal precepts won't save you (not that anyone has ever actually kept them all), but the Torah hasn't been replaced by grace: it has only been explained by grace.
Offline Matthew  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 21, 2008 12:05:36 PM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
After saying thanks to KP he replied saying this as extra:

kp wrote:

People who retreat into the "letter" of the Torah in order to avoid the uncomfortable Messianic truths latent in its obvious symbolism (obvious to me, anyway) are cheating themselves out of its real value, if you ask me. And worse, since it can't be literally kept---actually, only a small percentage is physically doable today---then to paint Yahweh as a God who insists that the complete Torah must be literally observed by all men, and that failure to do so perfectly will result in damnation, is to picture Him as an unloving---and indeed, unlovable---God. But as Yahshua pointed out, not the smallest portion of the Torah will be done away with until all the things it promises are fulfilled. And He accomplished much of that very thing two thousand years ago. His millennial reign (coming soon to a planet near you) will complete the promise.

Great stuff!

Here's the link if you guys are interested, we start speaking from about page 3 onwards:
http://www.christiandl.c...x.php/topic,37263.0.html