logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Yada  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 6, 2008 4:25:26 AM(UTC)
Yada

Quote:
Camps provide refuge for war-weary Israeli kids
By Nicole Neroulias

SUSSEX, N.J. -- Every few hours, the public address system at Camp Louemma broadcasts instructions about mealtimes and schedule changes to the campers and counselors scattered across 150 rustic acres in northern New Jersey.

Among the groups of youths occupied by hiking, swimming, and arts and crafts, nine new arrivals jerked their heads up at every announcement, prepared to run to their cabins for shelter.

"We are still expecting to hear `Color Red,"' said Shiran Jaldeti, 15, explaining that in their war-torn southern Israeli town of Sderot, such messages mean a two-minute warning of a Qassam rocket attack from nearby Gaza.

"We don't really sleep at night because we always have to hear for the `Color Red' announcement. In a car, you don't wear a seat belt, you don't put on the radio, you have the windows down so you can hear it."

Read on
Yada attached the following image(s):
jewscamp_200.jpg
If you'd like to join the YY Study Group room on Paltalk - just click here. The lockword is: yadayahweh
You can download the free software here.
Hope to see everyone on Paltalk!
WARNING: Do not give out personal information (name, address, etc.) to anyone on Paltalk - ever!
Offline Theophilus  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 6, 2008 4:59:57 AM(UTC)
Theophilus
Man

Thanks for sharing that story Yada. It's grea to hear that these kids are getting some R&R in a comparitivly tranquil rear-area haven. At the same time it's distressing to hear what life is like in Qasam range of people who think they're doing Allah's will in killing and terrorizing these kids.

I know in my case training and simulation of various types of attacks in military training helped build swift and helpful reactions and habits, but felt very different from being under actual live fire. Thankfully Desert Storm was a brief but quite intense experience. I can only imagine what it's like to have incoming fire as an ongoing fact of life in the long term and as a civilian. I don't know if the IDF has the capability and willingness (rules of engagement) to target and destroy the launchers, whom I'll guess operate in civilian areas and in civilian dress? I know Saddam's forces quickly realized when they fired on us, they could expect a prompt and more intense response.

I also realize that people learn to react differently to such stress. I've heard of especially WW-1 veterans experiencing "shell shock" and intense trauma, whereas I recently watched a documentary Battle 360 of the USS Enterprise pilots landing on Henderson field on Guadal Canal encountering Japanese shelling on the ground for the first time diving for cover and then being heckled by the Marines who'd grown accustomed to the shelling by that time. I find it truly heart breaking that kids and other civilians must face this same stress indefintely just for living in their homes.