logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 28, 2007 1:45:53 AM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Has anyone else made the connection yet that if Acts 11:26 "they were first called Christians in Antioch" that the word Christ was pretty much made up for Christians to follow from?

I dont think that sentance made much sense... - Ok, my point simply put...

Buddha... then Buddhism...
Hare Chrishna... then Hare Chrishnas...
Christian... then Christ

If they were called Christians first back then when Christ wasnt a name - then we have taken Christ from Christian and given it to the Messiyah... isnt that a little more odd than just developing the word Christ from placeholders.... ??

Obviously im just assuming Buddhism formed from following "Buddha"...

Just thought it could be a good point to showing Christians an example of bad teaching...

I can't remeber reading this anywhere - I just thought about it one day - im sure someone must have thought about that too... somewhere... maybe it is in YY but I just didnt remeber :D lol

I hope that made a little sense :D
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline kp  
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 28, 2007 5:58:48 AM(UTC)
kp

It doesn't make linguistic sense for the derivitive ("Christian") to preceed the source ("Christ"). Spiros Zodhaites (the Complete Word Study Dictionary) notes concerning "Christ," "Christos: Anointed, a term used in the OT applied to everyone anointed with the holy oil, primarily to the high priesthood (Lev.4:5, 16). Also a name applied to others acting as redeemers."

Of "Christian," he says, "Christianos" A name given to the disciples or followers of Christ, first adopted at Antioch. It does not occur in the NT as a name commonly used by Christians themselves. The believers first became known as Christians as an appellation of ridicule." Thayer adds: "The name [Christian] was first given to the worshippers of Jesus by the Gentiles, but from the second century onward was accepted by them as a title of honor."

As far as the placeholders used in the earliest manuscripts are concerned, we have no evidence that these words were not in common usage. Quite the contrary: "developing the word Christ from placeholders," as you phrased it, is a bizarre concept indeed. The definitive source for the use of these placeholders is, of course, the invaluable reference work The Text of the Earliest New Testament Greek Manuscripts, edited by Comfort and Barrett. They note:

Quote:
The early Christian scribes uniformly developed a system of special contractions, or abbreviations, for divine names (called nomina sacra) and other words that appear often in Scripture (e.g., ουρανος, Ιεροσολυμα/Ιερουσαλημ). In their manuscripts these abbreviations were written in all capital letters with a horizontal line above the letters to identify them as contractions

Since they recognize them as "special contractions or abbreviations," I feel we would be overstepping our bounds to assign any more significance to them than this. Specifically, assuming that the word "Christos" didn't exist in Koine Greek because it was abbreviated in the earliest NC manuscripts is a leap of logic I would be unwilling to make.

kp
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 28, 2007 8:33:50 AM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
kp wrote:
It doesn't make linguistic sense for the derivitive ("Christian") to preceed the source ("Christ"). Spiros Zodhaites (the Complete Word Study Dictionary) notes concerning "Christ," "Christos: Anointed, a term used in the OT applied to everyone anointed with the holy oil, primarily to the high priesthood (Lev.4:5, 16). Also a name applied to others acting as redeemers."

Of "Christian," he says, "Christianos" A name given to the disciples or followers of Christ, first adopted at Antioch. It does not occur in the NT as a name commonly used by Christians themselves. The believers first became known as Christians as an appellation of ridicule." Thayer adds: "The name [Christian] was first given to the worshippers of Jesus by the Gentiles, but from the second century onward was accepted by them as a title of honor."

As far as the placeholders used in the earliest manuscripts are concerned, we have no evidence that these words were not in common usage. Quite the contrary: "developing the word Christ from placeholders," as you phrased it, is a bizarre concept indeed. The definitive source for the use of these placeholders is, of course, the invaluable reference work The Text of the Earliest New Testament Greek Manuscripts, edited by Comfort and Barrett. They note:

Since they recognize them as "special contractions or abbreviations," I feel we would be overstepping our bounds to assign any more significance to them than this. Specifically, assuming that the word "Christos" didn't exist in Koine Greek because it was abbreviated in the earliest NC manuscripts is a leap of logic I would be unwilling to make.

kp

Exactly... people are strange...
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...