logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline shalom82  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 1, 2008 1:43:13 PM(UTC)
shalom82

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Shalom Qodeshim,
I am hoping that somebody with more resources or intelligence might help me in sorting out the truth on a certain matter. Justin Martyr claimed to have had a dialogue with a certain Yahudi named Trypho who himself claimed that the Hebrew versions of book of Ezra were changed after the Ben Yosef advent of the Mashiach, Yahushua.

Here is the portion in question:

Quote:
“They have deleted the following passage in which Ezra expounded the law of the Passover: 'And Ezra said to the people: This Passover is our Savior and refuge. And if you have understood, and it has entered into your hearts, that we are about to humiliate Him on a cross, and afterwards hope in Him, then this place will never be forsaken, saith the Lord of hosts. But if you will not believe Him, nor listen to His teaching, you will be the laughing-stock of the Gentiles”
--Justin Martyr, Dialogue with Trypho, 72:1

It would be wonderful if it was true in some sense there there would be such a passage in Ezra...horrible of course if it was edited out. But, I have not as of yet seen any evidence that this passage is in the Septuagint or the Qumran Scrolls. Can somebody confirm the truth or debunk the myth?

YHWH Immakhem

Shalom

YHWH's ordinances are true, and righteous altogether.
Offline kp  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 1, 2008 6:05:05 PM(UTC)
kp

Smells to me like a pious fraud, though I have no direct evidence either way. Ezra was written during the period of Persian ascendancy. The Babylonians and Assyrians had been eclipsed, and the Romans were still in the future. Though the Assyrians had invented execution by crucifixion, the Romans were the first (to my knowledge) to make widespread use of it. Therefore the reference to "a cross" (Greek: stauros---an upright pole) doesn't seem to fit.

kp
Offline shalom82  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 1, 2008 8:07:52 PM(UTC)
shalom82

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
That is what I pretty much thought too kp, but I apologize for perhaps not being as dilligent as I should have been, here is another rendering of that same supposed section of Ezra that would make the passage more plausible:

Quote:
‘And Ezra said to the people, This passover is our Saviour and our Refuge; and if ye will be persuaded of it, and let it enter into your hearts, that we are to humble ourselves to him in a sign, and afterwards shall believe in him, this place shall not be destroyed for ever, saith the Lord of Hosts: but if ye will not believe in him, nor hearken to his preaching, ye shall be a laughing-stock to the Gentiles.’

I am sceptical of the veracity of this passage. I indeed would like it to be there, but there just doesn't seem to be any evidence that it was. All insight is much appreciated.

Shalom
YHWH's ordinances are true, and righteous altogether.