logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 19, 2008 1:45:28 PM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I have just finished watching a docu about a guy in West Virginia called "Reverend Death"

Here is an artical about it...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2008/may/12/mentalhealth.health

Apart from thinking that there is something extreamly sick about what is actually going on here, another issue was raised in my mind and I was wondering if anyone had done any digging into it.

What does Yahuweh think about suicide? Supposedly the top american theologian could not refute that the bible does not say that suicide is wrong, other than the do not kill commandment and the rabinical interpritation of rasing a hand against yourself...

So I was wondering if there was anything anyone had come accross in Scripture specifically (or arguably) directed towards suicide...

Fankoo :)

- Rob

Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline kleeb  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 19, 2008 5:24:34 PM(UTC)
kleeb

Suicide is the taking of a life. The question is whether your life is yours. I say no. All life belongs to Yahweh. Therefore the taking of any life, even your own, without just cause is murder. The next question might be, can a persons quality of life degrate to the point to justify ending it? If the answer is yes, then it would not matter if it was suicide or with the assistance of someone else. My gut tells me no. But I knew someone who was in pain from terminal cancer and he killed himself. I can really understand why he did it. I guess the question is, "is the taking of the life justified?". Okay, I've asked more questions than I've answered. Sorry I couldn't answer your question Rob. I think we need to ask for devine inspiration with this one. Lee
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 19, 2008 10:05:16 PM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
yea Kleeb that pritty much spot on to what I was thinking too. I was just wondering if there were any direct dealing with suicide in scripture other other than Judas hanging himself and/or exploding all over a field. More questions isnt bad :)
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline bitnet  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 20, 2008 12:47:00 AM(UTC)
bitnet

Shalom All,

The topics of euthanasia and abortion are closely linked. I've been witness to deaths in the family by cancer and I can understand why those afflicted want their suffering to end. It really is painful beyond words. That is why I am now engaged in a business that teaches people how to stay healthy, but that is another topic.

The key word in both cases is murder, for the commandment is clear on this. Is relief from terminal suffering murder? Ask Dr Kevorkian. How far does one decide when it is murder? If a person is on life support and is intubated, would removing the machines be construed as murder? Presumably one is supposed to hold on to the end in hope of a miracle from the Creator. But who is to know what is His Will for each of us?

Would killing an unborn child be murder? What if the mother's health or life is at risk? Of if the mother was a victim of rape? Or the mother is really underaged and is unable to cope? Much discussion has gone into this topic and I have no answers other than that a human life may lead to a new member in His Family and that we should not try to deny life for the sake of "convenience." Some unwanted babies are adopted and bring much joy to others over their lifetime, and indeed may be personal saviours to others.

We live in an imperfect world and we need to be saved from ourselves. Shiloh come quickly!
The reverence of Yahweh is the beginning of Wisdom.