logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Garrett  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 5, 2008 3:16:20 PM(UTC)
Garrett

I was hoping someone might be able to help me. As I am reading Yada’s Book,(I have just finished Taruwah in the Called out section) I have really enjoyed thinking about YaHWeH as my loving Father who does not want me to fear or bow down to Him.

That said, I am having trouble reconciling this with the scriptures. In Deuteronomy 21:18 YHWH instructs us to kill our disobedient children. In Exodus 21:7 we are given instruction on how we may sell our daughters into slavery, and (I can't find the scripture right this second) but in Exodus, a man was gathering wood on the Shabbat and YHWH instructs Moshe (Moses) to have the man stoned to death for violating the Shabbat.

This is not a God who expects us to fear Him?

This is shaking me up quite a bit and I would REALLY appreciate some help with these particular verses.

Thank you so much.

Shalom Aleichem,
Garrett

Edited by user Thursday, March 6, 2008 1:45:31 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

It is the glory of Elohim (God) to conceal a matter, but the honour of melekim (kings) to search it out.
Offline Icy  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 6, 2008 3:01:52 AM(UTC)
Icy
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
From TOM

Quote:
(169) Do not eat or drink like a glutton or a drunkard (not to rebel against father or mother). “If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who will not obey the voice of his father or the voice of his mother, and who, when they have chastened him, will not heed them, then his father and his mother shall take hold of him and bring him out to the elders of his city, to the gate of his city. And they shall say to the elders of his city, ‘This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious; he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton and a drunkard.’ Then all the men of his city shall stone him to death with stones; so you shall put away the evil from among you, and all Israel shall hear and fear.” (Deuteronomy 21:18-21) And you thought spanking was over the top. The ACLU would love to get their hands on this one. This particular mitzvah puts teeth into the FifthCommandment, “Honor your father and your mother….” (See #59.) The values Yahweh’s law instilled into Israel’s Theocratic society (and hopefully on some level, our own) manifested themselves in a citizenry that was devout, hard-working, and respectful of God and man alike. A man who despised these values and God’s instruction was likely to be just the opposite—rebellious, lazy, and self indulgent. He would have been what was described in Mitzvah #3 as a man who blasphemes (Hebrew: naqab, meaning to puncture or perforate, figuratively to libel, blaspheme, or curse”) God, or one who, as in Mitzvah #61, curses (qalal, meaning to take lightly, to bring into contempt, or despise) his parents. Both of these offenses carried the death penalty. In the present case, the focus is brought to bear on the likely symptoms: gluttony, drunkenness, and disobedience. But it’s all the same idea: Yahweh was protecting His chosen people against apostasy and rebellion.
The religious establishment of Yahshua’s time smelled an opportunity. They thought they might be able to invoke this precept in a misguided attempt to rid themselves of that inconvenient young rabbi in their midst who kept poking holes in their pretensions. Like lawyers today, they knew it wasn’t the evidence; it was what you could make out of it. First, they’d thought (and said) that John the Baptist was a demon-possessed lunatic for dressing up like a sack of potatoes and eating locusts and wild honey in the desert—and preaching the uncomfortable truth about them. But when Yahshua came along, refusing to fast while His disciples were with Him, drinking (and making) wine—and preaching the same uncomfortable truth about the religious bigwigs—they figured they might be able to arrange a stoning party for him based on Deuteronomy 21. They figured wrong. Yahshua observed that these hypocrites were awfully hard to please: “To what shall I liken this generation? It is like children sitting in the marketplaces and calling to their companions, and saying: ‘We played the flute for you, and you did not dance; we mourned to you, and you did not lament.’ For John [the Baptist] came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, ‘He has a demon.’ The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, ‘Look, a glutton and a winebibber, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!’ But wisdom is justified by her children.” (Matthew 11:16-19)
It isn’t eating (or even over-eating) that the Torah is warning against in this mitzvah. Nor is it drinking alcoholic beverages (though its excess is reproved time and again in scripture). God is warning His people about rebellion, about taking His Law lightly, about stubbornly refusing to heed His word. Deciding what (and how much) to eat is just the tip of the iceberg; all of God’s Torah has practical ramifications for us, either because it helps us live our lives according to Yahweh’s design, or because it points directly toward His plan of redemption. Disregarding the Mosaic dietary laws in the name of “freedom under Christ” is a big mistake, for these aren’t so much “laws” as they are instructions. As often as not, they carry their own penalty—the natural consequence of failing to heed the Owner’s Manual.

The idea is not that you are to stone every disobiedient child, but rather that Isreal was to keep itself free of things that would corrupt it. Stoneing is always used when something that affects (or could affect) the whole nation needs to be punished. This is something that the whole community had to rise up and defend themselves from.

Quote:
(196) Redeem a Hebrew maid-servant. “If a man sells his daughter to be a female slave, she shall not go out as the male slaves do. If she does not please her master who has betrothed her to himself, then he shall let her be redeemed. He shall have no right to sell her to a foreign people, since he has dealt deceitfully with her.” (Exodus 21:7-8) This is a subset of the law of redemption designed to protect women from abuse. The word translated “go out” (Hebrew: yoset) is “used of going forth from one’s homeland into exile.” (B&C) Thus it doesn’t mean, Keep your female bondservants indoors, but rather, There are different rules in effect for female bondservants. The obvious problem was the potential for sexual abuse. Harlotry, especially selling one’s daughter into this life, was strictly forbidden: “Do not prostitute your daughter, to cause her to be a harlot, lest the land fall into harlotry, and the land become full of wickedness.” (Leviticus 19:29) There were, of course, many legitimate non-sex-related roles for female bondservants to fulfill in a master’s household, so the practice of “leasing” one’s daughter into indentured servitude was not forbidden.
It was inevitable, however, that occasionally a man who had brought a female bondservant into his household would notice her qualities and decide she would make a good marriage partner—either for himself or for his son (see #198). In that case, if she failed to please her master after the betrothal, he could no longer treat her as an ordinary slave girl, but would be required to let her family redeem her. He was specifically prohibited from selling her to a foreign master.
Of course, slavery and indentured servitude aren’t terribly common any more. So is this precept obsolete? No. Once again, think prophetically. Israel has fallen into spiritual poverty, and has sold her daughters into the service of the world. Yahweh is announcing here that they cannot be sold to Satan; He reserves the right to redeem them—to restore them to His family. The “daughters of Jerusalem” have not pleased their masters in exile, but they are under Yahweh’s protection. He has already paid the price of their redemption. We now await their realization that they are free to go back home.

We are not being told how to sell our daughters into slavery here, but rather an "if you do" to protect them. I also wonder what the word translated "slave" is, and what the idea was. KP talks about it more as a bondservent, or someone being leased, which implies it being temporary (which really is the case, because every Yowbel they would be free anyway) rather than the permenant, treated like dogs type of slavery that we typically imagine based on the past of the United States. I don't think that was the type of "slavery" that was in mind here.

The gathering wood verse is Numbers 15:32-36. I don't have the resources in front of me to break the verses down, but generally we can see from the stoning that what he did was something that impacted all of Isreal. I think it was not so much that he was working on the Sabbath, but rather that he had no faith in Yahuweh and his lack of faith could have spread like a plauge. So, to protect the rest of the nation, the lack of faith needed to be dealt with.
Offline bitnet  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 6, 2008 9:56:28 PM(UTC)
bitnet

Shalom Garrett,

Icy gave a great reply to all points, and with regard to the Numbers verses about the man gathering wood, today we would be most disturbed by such a command but looking at it in context then, this was a theocracy and if someone did break the law when the penalty had been spelt out earlier for such an offence, it would have been irresponsible not to act accordingly.

Much the same here today in Malaysia and other countries where anyone caught carrying some banned dried leaves (marijuana) into the country will be sentenced to death.

This is not to say that the people of Yisrae'El did not mourn, nor did Yahweh relish putting to death one of His chosen people whom He took great pains to redeem from Egypt. It is always sad when this happens. But there are consequences, and today these may seem very harsh in some countries and societies. We resist penalties that call for the removal of limbs and organs because we have learnt to appreciate the sanctity of life and each person. And yet we draft laws that make it easier to break the law and get away without restitution.

I have often been told that incarceration is better than the death sentence, and it always seems that way especially when one is pro-life. However, it seems that life sentences do not do anything except to drain the country of valuable space, human resources and wealth. Major violent crimes occur and perpetrators can expect decent food and lodging in a secure environment! But this is beside the point. The thing is, there is always a downside for disobedience and sometimes it is hard to accept that "the wages of sin is death" and "sin is the breaking of the law."

Today we are given more freedom than before and yet we drive ourselves to the brink of destruction. The law still stands and people will face death! They will face judgement! And if we are to rule with Him later, we should prepare to ensure that His will is carried out. We have so much grace today that when Yahushua forgave the prostitute, it stunned the people around Him. We must always remember this and try to put sin away even when under the rule of men. Theocracy will return with Yahweh, and we must be prepared to live as He wants us to live.
The reverence of Yahweh is the beginning of Wisdom.
Offline kp  
#4 Posted : Friday, March 7, 2008 7:32:57 AM(UTC)
kp

Hi, Garrett. I trust Icy's and Bitnet's responses helped. Two of the things you brought up were death penalties imposed for gross disrespect of Yahweh and His instructions---not "mistakes" or "misunderstandings," but pure, unadulterated rebellion. There's no record that the precept directing parents to slay their children for gross violations of the fifth commandment was ever carried out: like much of the Torah, it's mainly there to teach us a principle---Yahweh and His Spirit (our Father and Mother) deserve and demand our reverence.

As for the scoff-law gathering wood on the Sabbath, remember the added clarification: "You shall kindle no fire throughout your dwellings on the Sabbath day.” (Exodus 35:3) This guy was saying (and I paraphrase) "Screw this. The Torah sucks. I'm going to live my life my way, on my schedule. I don't care what Moses or Yahweh say. This is my life." Forget that rebellion and disrespect are contagious. The point here is that the guy was messing up Yahweh's picture. We are to rest on the Sabbath = We can't work for our salvation. But also, Don't kindle a fire on the Sabbath = There will be no judgment for those who rest in God's grace. By his actions, firewood boy was declaring (whether he knew it or not) that we would be judged on our works, not vindicated or condemned on the basis of our relationship (or lack of it) with Yahweh and our acceptance of His unmerited favor (grace). He was following a man-made religion of works, not a relationship with God. And that's a fatal blunder.

The fact is, the same penalty (death) still applies to those who decide their way is superior to Yahweh's. Only difference is, He usually postpones the execution these days. But the outcome of this mindset, in the end, will be identical.

As for the slavery issue, God knew there was, spiritually speaking, no practical difference between slavery and merely being employed. We all serve a master. TOM chapter 6 lists a litany of cautions against abuse, but the point stands, everybody answers to somebody---there is always somebody above us on the "pecking order." And there is often somebody below us as well. We are to serve as if we're serving God Himself, and we are to supervise (if we're in that position) as mentors, not as masters.

kp
Offline Icy  
#5 Posted : Friday, March 7, 2008 8:43:35 AM(UTC)
Icy
Man

I never really thought about it that way, kp, but you are right, slavery and employment really are about the same thing. We may envision ourselves as free, but are we really?
Offline kp  
#6 Posted : Friday, March 7, 2008 9:13:25 AM(UTC)
kp

Right, Icy. The most anarchistic libertine is held with a far heavier chain than the most downtrodden slave, if he's a believer. Our "freedom" has very little to do with our temporal circumstances.

kp
Offline bitnet  
#7 Posted : Friday, March 7, 2008 11:23:41 PM(UTC)
bitnet

Shalom All,

Yes, the mentorship part really grinds on a lot of people... they actually wanna call the shots as masters! And they start here in this world and try to rise to the top of the Freemasonry, Illuminati, Islam, Christianity, Prosperity cults and what-have-you. The motto seems to be "get from others before they get from you, and do unto others before they do unto you," and being in positions of power satisfies some notions of aggrandizement. "Vanity, vanity, all is vanity" lamented a wise man once. Perhaps that is why after 20 years I am glad that I am slowly pulling out of Babylon, and may join shalom82 on a farm somewhere (in principle if not in fact) and serve the brethren instead of those who choose to oppress us for mammon. I'd rather choose to place my trust in a system that does not yoke me to serve others so unevenly. So where are we again... yes, not trusting our Creator is one thing and rebelling against Him openly is another. At the end of it all, we have to decide whether to brave the discomfort of impending darkness and cold or whether we want to gather wood and light a fire ourselves when our Creator, Deliverer and Saviour is just at our doorstep guarding us. I'd advocate anyone to take a leap of faith, which is to trust on evidence not seen, and leave it up to our beloved Yahushua to provide us with all that we need as we seek His Kingdom.
Offline Garrett  
#8 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2008 7:16:03 AM(UTC)
Garrett

Shalom and Todah Rabbah (thank you greatly) to you all.

I appreciate the replies and I am feeling more confident as I read Torah now.

But your answers also caused me to have a few more questions.

First, I will say that like many coming out of religious Christianity, my understanding and obedience to his mitzvah is slow. We have begun to venerate and observe Shabbat. But I will confess I am no pro at it. How are we to properly keep shabbat? I live in North Idaho and we have some cold Saturday mornings. Does YaH really want me to freeze in my home, or would he want me to rest and reflect on Him next to a warm fire? Also, my wife feels a closeness with Him when she is in her garden. Does he forbid such activity? I simply want to obey without becoming legalistic or religious. VERY CONFUSED.

Second, I came across a verse in Deuteronomy 25:11-12 The scriptures tell us that if two men are fighting and the wife of one of the men comes to the aid of her husband.. if she grabs the other mans private parts, she must have her had cut off.

Two questions... 1.) Does this seem like a strange mitzvah? 2.) Was this really a problem?

I desire a deep walk with YaHWeH, but I must confess that I have a hard time imagining that He would command such things. HELP!

My last question is in repose to Yada’s teaching that God does not desire our worship. This seems to fly in the face of all of the scriptural examples where man had hit his face in worship of YaHWeH. Avraham did it, Moshe did it, Joshua did it, David did it...and each time, God allowed and accepted worship. Are we sure He does not desire our worship?

Thanks for your help guys, and thanks for being patient with me...I do believe God can handle my questions if I am sincerely trying to know Him more. Right?

It is the glory of Elohim (God) to conceal a matter, but the honour of melekim (kings) to search it out.
Offline Icy  
#9 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2008 8:09:11 AM(UTC)
Icy
Man

Garrent, it sounds like your understanding of Shabbat and rest is based on the rabbinical idea, like most of ours used to be. No, Yahuweh does not want you to freeze in your home. Actually, the work that is not to be performed is your customery work, that is, the work you do for a living. So, don't work for an income on the Sabbath is the gist of it. But, follow the Ruach Qodesh. If your wife feels a closeness when she is in her garden, then by all means she should be in that garden. Maybe someone else can give you some scripture, as I'm short on time and can't look for it.

As for Deuteronomy 25:11-12, I'll let kp give you his idea from TOM:

Quote:
(265) Save the pursued even at the cost of the life of the pursuer. “If two men fight together, and the wife of one draws near to rescue her husband from the hand of the one attacking him, and puts out her hand and seizes him by the genitals, then you shall cut off her hand; your eye shall not pity her.” (Deuteronomy 25:11-12) The rabbis are on another planet here, but I’ll admit that the supporting passage for this mitzvah (and the next one) isn’t exactly easy. Most commentaries just skip over it. At first glance, it looks uncharacteristically harsh. As a matter of fact, this is the only instance in the Torah where physical mutilation was prescribed as punishment for an offense, though Yahweh’s law was unique in its restraint on the subject. (For example, Assyrian law said a man who kissed a woman who wasn’t his wife was supposed to get his lips cut off.)
Note that the Israelite wife wasn’t prohibited from defending her husband in general. There was no problem (in theory) against smashing hubby’s attacker over the head with a chair. Nor was this a thinly veiled euphemism for adultery (which carried its own penalty); it clearly describes something drastic done in the heat of a disagreement in order to gain the upper hand. A little word study might help us get to the heart of matter. The original Hebrew text includes the word ’ach (brother or countryman), making it clear that the husband’s adversary is a fellow Israelite—thus potentially metaphorical for a fellow believer. The word translated “seize” (chazaq) doesn’t so much mean “to take or grab an object” as it is a denotation of seizing power. It means: “be strong, strengthen, conquer, become powerful, harden one’s defenses.” We need to realize that the precise scenario that’s pictured in this precept is extremely unlikely. In fact, not a single occurrence is recorded in the Bible. So to me at least, it’s pretty clear that Yahweh was using this hypothetical sequence of events to illustrate something that does happen on a fairly regular basis. Yahweh seems to be saying, “Don’t emasculate (metaphorically or otherwise) a fellow believer, even in the well-intentioned defense of what you hold dear. If you destroy his ability to have a fruitful ministry in the future merely to gain a temporary advantage now in some dispute, I will in turn remove your ability to manipulate and control your world. I have provided ways (see Mitzvot #227-252) to settle your disputes—you are not to take matters into your own hands.” At least, that’s what I think it means.

You might want to download a copy of the TOM pdf here. All the scripture in the book is bookmarked and easy to find. It makes it quite a handy reference material for kp's commentary.

Could you give some scripture for some of those examples you mention about worshiping? Certainly he accepts our worship, but I don't think he preferes it. In Genesis Yahuweh does make it clear that he wants to have a relationship with us, not mindless worshipers.
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#10 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2008 8:19:43 AM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Icy wrote:
I never really thought about it that way, kp, but you are right, slavery and employment really are about the same thing. We may envision ourselves as free, but are we really?

Well I know I am now LOL - I walked out of work Friday before last...

in the words of some old Scottish dude... FREEEEEDDDOOOOOMMMMMM!
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline kp  
#11 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2008 12:25:57 PM(UTC)
kp

Good questions, Garrett. I guess you've got your answer on the Deuteronomy 25 thingie. On the kindling a fire issue ("You shall kindle no fire throughout your dwellings on the Sabbath day.” Exodus 35:3) the heart of the issue is not keeping from freezing to death. There aren't a lot of frosty mornings in what is now Saudi Arabia or the Sinai Penninsula (where they were at the time). The point was, "It's somebody's regular job to cook---Don't do your regular job on the Sabbath." As usual, we need to look at what the symbols mean: in the end, you can't work for your salvation. But beyond that, the "Don't kindle a fire" precept (which I'll cover in chapter 8 of TOMII: What Maimonides Missed) has a secondary, more techincal meaning. Fire is a symbol for judgment. It separates the gold from the dross. Yahweh is telling us that there will be no judgment for His children on the "Seventh Day." Our judgment has already been faced by Yahshua---the "kindling" has already been done.

On the issue of "Worship," please bear in mind that my dear friend Yada enjoys a provacative turn of phrase. He obviously doesn't mean we shouldn't ever express our joyful admiration of Yahweh in a corporate setting. What he's cautioning against is the (I just love this phrase) "obsequeous obeisance" of religiosity---the groveling whipped-dog sort of approach to God that the Muslims revel in. Or alternately, the breast-beating pomposity of the kind of Pharisaical display that gagged Yahshua Himself. Remember what the Hebrew word for "praise" means---halal = shine forth. So hallelujah literally means "Radiate Yahweh's light."

kp
Offline Truth Seeker  
#12 Posted : Saturday, March 22, 2008 8:44:16 PM(UTC)
Truth Seeker
Man

If I understand Sabbath observance correctly,we are not to do "servile" work.Put another way,our everyday jobs.
We are not to cause our manservants or maidservants to work.My take on that is causing someone(service type work like restaurant or retail workers) to serve or work for us.
Offline Garrett  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, March 25, 2008 10:05:05 AM(UTC)
Garrett

Thank you for you replies. I am working to shake my rabbinical bent...but I do have a question regarding those that are required to work on Shabbat. My cousin's wife is a realtor, and her profession requires that she work almost every Saturday.

And I have a step daughter who is a CNA at a hospital. She too has to work Saturdays.

How do you (or more importantly, how does YaHWeH) deal with situations like these?

Shalom!
Garrett-

Edited by user Tuesday, March 25, 2008 12:05:51 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline bitnet  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, March 25, 2008 7:29:29 PM(UTC)
bitnet

Hello Garrett,

It is a process. Changing is a process. When one decides to change, one goes through a process. Sometimes this takes more time than for others. We are all going through this process. Some of us have started earlier, and have changed much, some are starting now and are changing according to their circumstances and conditions. One thing that is common in all of us is that we are willing to allow these changes, and many even accelerate these changes according to their will as driven by the Set-Apart Spirit.

I cannot speak for how Abba Yahweh will deal with your relatives, but I do know that I felt really uncomfortable when I did not keep the Sabbath. However, when I decided to change, I just issued notices that the business will close on Saturday and open on Sunday instead. I started to tell the people around me that there is a change in the operating hours. Some said that we will lose business. Others commended us because traffic is lighter on Sunday and there are more parking spaces. Truth be told, my wife and I had no fears about changing. We just did and trusted Yahushua to do the rest and we are still in business and are growing.

We knew not to just believe in Him but also to believe Him. When He said that His burden is light, believe Him. When He said that the road is narrow and straight, believe Him. And when you think about it, He is so caring that because we have to balance ourselves on a narrow path He lifts our yoke so the burden is light! You know that we are led by the Set-Apart Spirit and when we allow His power to work things will change accordingly -- within us and outside of us -- such that we shall be able to observe His Word and do His Work according to His Nature. Our part is to keep on putting our carnal nature, thoughts and deeds away, which is by no means an easy task, but the process has to start somewhere.

Garrett, hang in there and keep searching and doing and perhaps sooner than later you'll be in sync with Him and helping your relatives to do the same.

Shalom Aleichem!
Offline kp  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, March 26, 2008 10:15:44 AM(UTC)
kp

Hi, Garrett: I realize this may sound like a cop-out, but I assure you, it's not. Remember the story of Naaman the leper in II Kings 5? After being cleansed, he truly wished to worship Yahweh, going so far as to ask Elisha the prophet for a couple of mule loads of Israel's dirt to take back to Syria with him, so he could worship on "holy ground." But he knew right off the bat he was in a bit of a pickle, telling the prophet, "Your servant will no longer offer either burnt offering or sacrifice to other gods, but to Yahweh. Yet in this thing may the Lord pardon your servant: when my master goes into the temple of Rimmon to worship there, and he leans on my hand, and I bow down in the temple of Rimmon—when I bow down in the temple of Rimmon, may Yahweh please pardon your servant in this thing.” (II Kings 5:17-18) Elisha gave Naaman no lecture or admonition. He merely said, "Go in peace."

Like bitnet said, it's a process. Naaman's heart was right before Yahweh, but his body still belonged to the king. We aren't told, but I wouldn't be surprised to find that in time, God arranged Naaman's life to allow him to follow his heart in the matter---without losing his head.

kp
Offline Garrett  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, April 2, 2008 12:37:12 PM(UTC)
Garrett

Thanks KP and Bitnet. You have helped a lot. And no, KP I don't think your explanation is a "cop out" at all. It makes perfect sense.

Thanks again brothers.
Garrett-