logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Matthew  
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 29, 2008 11:38:14 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I have come across two passages in Scripture, one regarding King David being ruddy in appearance and Esau being red in colour. Apparently the word for ruddy and red are the same used in the original Hebrew.

1 Samuel 16:12 "And he sent and brought him (Dawid) in. And he was ruddy, with bright eyes, and good looking. And Yahuweh said, 'Arise, anoint him, for this is the one!'"

Genesis 25:25 "And the first came out red all over, like a hairy garment, so they called him Esaw."

A person commented on YouTube accusing Yahushua by saying "no wonder the Jews rejected this white European saviour," I then responded with His lineage and highlighted King David, then another person commented on my post saying that I need to look up the word "ruddy" concerning King David. In other words Yahushua and David were European in complexion. My interpretation of their comment is that Yahushua wasn't a Jew (because He was white in colour) and that the Jews rejected Him because of it. The video clip is concerning Torah prophecies in the Genesis account, click here is you wish to see it.

Anyway, I've read on a seriously Messianic website that the word "ruddy," in the relevant contexts, is that it concerns the shedding of blood, whether as a hunter or as a shepherd protecting his sheep. It goes on to say that the phrases following the word ruddy indicate whether it's a good or bad thing. For Esau, he was like a hairy garment, and we know either we have the garment of Light or not, and the word "hairy" is not flattering. With David, he had beautiful eyes, in other words he saw things with purity and in righteousness.

Does the word "ruddy" indicate a particular physical appearance? What about skin colour, I've read that Ancient Hebrews were much darker in skin colour than those living today?

Moral of the story though: Yahuweh knows the heart of a man, and it's not about physical appearance.