logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Yada  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 8, 2008 2:28:58 AM(UTC)
Yada

I have often wondered how I could make the "Set-Apart" day of the Sabbath truly special and really "Set-Apart" I came across this .PDF pamphlet entitled, "Celebrating the Sabbath!" This is the opening paragraph:

Quote:
A Day of Rest -What a Wonderful Gift!

God gave us the Sabbath (Hebrew: Shabbat) as a day of rest and rejuvenation, a day to enjoy His creation and focus on Him. Shabbat means “to rest”. How many times in our busy lives we don’t take time for needed rest! The pace of life today is much faster than it’s ever been. Today’s families seem to never have enough time to spend together.
Celebrating the Sabbath provides time to unwind, be with family and refocus on God. The Sabbath begins at sundown on Friday evening and lasts until sundown on Saturday evening. The Friday evening meal (Every Shabbat or “Sabbath Eve”) is very special and celebrates entering into Sabbath rest. Saturday evening it is customary to celebrate the close of the Sabbath with the Havdalah service. Unfortunately, the celebration of the Sabbath is a tradition that has been lost to many Christians. The celebration is an excellent teaching tool about God and His plans for humanity, and a wonderful “family time” as well. This will provide basic information to help you to celebrate the Sabbath.

I'd love to hear from those on the forum regarding some of the ideas presented, especially with regards to the suggested Scripture readings.

The pamphlet is free and prints out on 3 panels so that it can easily be stuffed into a coat pocket or an envelope (maybe you know of others that are also interested in learning more about how they might celebrate the Sabbath).

You can find the pamphlet here.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot...we always try to open the "YY Study Group" room on Paltalk on the Sabbath. Please join us - just click here. My nickname on Paltalk is: Yada 1
If you'd like to join the YY Study Group room on Paltalk - just click here. The lockword is: yadayahweh
You can download the free software here.
Hope to see everyone on Paltalk!
WARNING: Do not give out personal information (name, address, etc.) to anyone on Paltalk - ever!
Offline jojocc  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 8, 2008 5:48:07 AM(UTC)
jojocc

Hi,

at the risk of sounding like a meanie, the pamphlet is a little too formulated for me.

I think that having a Shabbat supper is a wonderful idea, get together and celebrate our earthly and spiritual family, but as soon as you start formulating blessings or have certain people reading certain scriptures and saying set prayers, it turns into ritual.

Would it not be more scriptural and more like having a relationship with YHWH to just let the RQ in and see what one is lead to read/say?
Offline bitnet  
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 9, 2008 9:31:38 PM(UTC)
bitnet

Shalom Everybody,

Having a weekly Sabbath leaflet sounds like a good idea at first as it helps to explain the thought behind it and helps people walk better in The Way. Sister jojocc points out that we may start a new doctrine for ritual and there is cause for concern here about it, but many people (read: gentiles) really are unsure as what to do as they do not have the history and traditions of the people of Yisra'el or Yahudah. They do not have any idea as to what is permitted and what is not, or why. The only thing that is certain is that Sabbath observers do not do the usual work nor engage in strenuous pastimes such as sports. Other than that, many start wondering, "Is it OK to cook our meals?" or "Can we go to a restaurant?" or "Can I watch a little TV or listen to music?" or ... you get the gist.

People are also scared of walking in the way of the pharisees. We do not want people to stumble over these things and cause themselves to doubt and worry for no real reason. If a leaflet is done, it is not to ritualise the Sabbath but to explain the very thought that goes into Sabbath observance. I would support such a leaflet, and I'd put it into a pdf file that can be printed at will and distributed by anyone. Yahudym can give a few quotes as to what they do on the weekly Sabbaths so that gentile readers can glean some good habits rather than grope in the dark. A statement that the Sabbath is not to be ritualised may be needed. My position is that we do not hold back on something good in fear that something bad may happen. It's not like we are trying to convert them, are we? If they have been called, let them understand what it means to answer and approach Elohim Yahweh on His terms.
The reverence of Yahweh is the beginning of Wisdom.