logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline gammafighter  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2008 8:45:11 AM(UTC)
gammafighter
Man

Hi all,

The pastor at the church where I fellowship said something that caught my attention Sunday. He said that we were created "to know God, to give Him glory and to love Him." Knowing and loving resonated with me, but "to give Him glory" reminded me of a quote from PoD:
Quote:
God is not so insecure He needs a praise machine, nor so lame He made one as imprecise as man.

Yet we do give glory to Yahweh. It occurred to me that while we weren't created to be praise machines, we give Yahweh glory as a side effect of being relationship with Him. When we love Him and love our neighbors as a result of our love for Him, glory is brought to the name of Yahweh. It's that same as how eternal life is just a side effect of being in a relationship with the source of life. Getting into Heaven is not the goal of knowing Yahweh; we want to know Him for the sake of knowing Him. In the same way, bringing glory to Yahweh is not the reason He wants us to love Him; He wants us to love Him for the sake of loving each other.

So I say glory be to Yahweh! May He perfect our love, teaching us to love Him and to love our neighbors!
Offline jojocc  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2008 9:44:56 AM(UTC)
jojocc

Hey Gamma (again)

I think you've hit the nail on the head there, we glorify YHWH by our actions and through our love for Him, and that His love overflows from us to those around us.

So we are not here to give him glory as an imprecise praise machine, rather as Yehudim, lights that shine in the darkness, by our thoughts, words and deeds.
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2008 9:52:46 AM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
yup I second that :)
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline bitnet  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2008 2:57:54 PM(UTC)
bitnet

Yes, and I, er, third that!! Refer to the thread on Worship.
The reverence of Yahweh is the beginning of Wisdom.
Offline kp  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2008 5:04:28 PM(UTC)
kp

Does anybody but me remember the third Star Wars movie, Return of the Jedi? At one point, the little furry guys decided C3PO was a god, so they all bowed down and chanted their little mantras, but when they decided to have Han Solo for dinner (literally) in his honor and he told them to let him go, they wouldn't do it. Their religion far outweighed the "relationship" they had with their shiny new god. How sad it is when we treat Yahweh like that: how often do we go through the motions of giving glory to Him, but it's all baloney---we're bowing down and acting all pious, but in reality we're flat out dishonoring God by refusing to do what He's actually asked us to do. May we never dishonor God through the practice of our religious traditions.

kp
Offline sugarman  
#6 Posted : Sunday, February 3, 2008 7:40:09 PM(UTC)
sugarman

Giving Glory to Yah can be done in different ways.

like singing or dancing King David was a real Rocker when it came to priase but I do not suggest riping your cloths off in church lol.

Also worship can be done by helping the poor giving unto others visting people in jail etc....

Yeshua said what you do to one of these fellow brothers you do unto me and to me that is a form of worship, doing what Yah wants.
Offline shalom82  
#7 Posted : Sunday, February 3, 2008 9:48:41 PM(UTC)
shalom82

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
There are a lot of great points that were made on this topic..and I almost feel like it's pointless to say anything else....almost. Religion is always putting the means before the ends, making the side effects the goals, and puttting the cart before the horse...That we all know. But Glory in and of itself means nothing. That is what a g o d like Allah wants...plain and simple goal. Yahuweh uses his glory as a means to an end...a manifestation of who He is and what He desires...and what He wants to give....all answered with one word...love. Glory has a purpose...to bring more of his wayward children back into the fold and in relationship with Him. A simple means to an end...not the end in and of itself...

I don't know why but sometimes an image of Allah pops into my head. There were these statues in China of Taoist g o d s. They were always using these little men as footstools...the adversary usually manifests himself as the bully g o d...a little snot that goes around and preys on the weak and powerless and surrounds himself with an entourage of minians that get a rush from the crumbs of power they get from him, who kiss his rear and inflate his ego to hold on to whatever token he has allowed them to have...Allah (the adversary's manifestation of choice) is a wizard of oz...a weakling behind a curtain.

Here is an Elohim with a name so unpresuming, so devoid of pride, completely empty of airs...a name stated with self assurance and love...Yahuweh...I am.
YHWH's ordinances are true, and righteous altogether.