logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Yahsheba  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 2, 2007 6:12:35 PM(UTC)
Yahsheba

Shalom all,

I was taught years ago that the title God meant Satan.

Satan is the God of this world. II Cor.4:4

Here are definitions for the word God from the American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language...

NOUN: 1. God a. A being conceived as the perfect, omnipotent, omniscient originator and ruler of the universe, the principal object of faith and worship in monotheistic religions. b. The force, effect, or a manifestation or aspect of this being. 2. A being of supernatural powers or attributes, believed in and worshiped by a people, especially a male deity thought to control some part of nature or reality. 3. An image of a supernatural being; an idol. 4. One that is worshiped, idealized, or followed: Money was their god. 5. A very handsome man. 6. A powerful ruler or despot.

Notice what it says for #3 An image of a supernatural being; an IDOL.

ETYMOLOGY:
Middle English, from Old English. See gheu()- in Appendix I.

http://www.bartleby.com/61/21/G0172100.html

Indo-European Roots
ENTRY: gheu)- DEFINITION: To call, invoke. Oldest form *heu()-, becoming *gheu()- in centum languages. Suffixed zero-grade form *ghu-to-, “the invoked,” god. a. god, from Old English god, god; b. giddy, from Old English gydig, gidig, possessed, insane, from Germanic *gud-iga-, possessed by a god; c. götterdämmerung, from Old High German got, god. a–c all from Germanic *gudam, god. (Pokorny hau- 413.)

http://www.bartleby.com/61/roots/IE166.html

The term God is related to the word Idol and can mean possessed and insane.

So, my question is why would anyone want to use the title God and refer it to our heavenly father? Why not just use the title El or Elohim instead of God? Or Abba Yahweh?

Shalom,

Yahsheba
#2 Posted : Monday, July 2, 2007 9:02:46 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
A maine sister. I think that we can see from Yahshua's prayer in the garden that we are to use the Sacred name. I for one do not want to associate something so mundane as 'god' with the Holy One of Yisrael.

Benel
Offline Yahsheba  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 3, 2007 5:18:23 AM(UTC)
Yahsheba

Welcome to the forum Benel! :)

I hope you will come back achi!

Shalom,

Yahsheba
Offline Yahsheba  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 4, 2007 4:43:50 AM(UTC)
Yahsheba

Hmmm... well I see no one had any answers for me here. Why is that?

Here is something I just found today which I thought was pretty interesting...

15. GAD - GOD, GUD

A prophecy for the end-time is given in Isa. 65:11 wherein our Mighty One warns of the apostasy of His people, "But you are those who forsake Yahúweh ... who prepare a table for Gad, and who furnish a drink offering for Meni." - Revised Authorised Version. All commentators agree that Gad is a pagan deity, and so is Meni. Gad is usually interpreted as the well-known Syrian or Canaanite deity of "Good Luck" or "Fortune", and Meni the deity of "Destiny". This Gad is written in the Hebrew as GD, but the Massoretes afterwards vowel - pointed it, adding an "a", to five us "Gad". However, we find other references in Scripture to a similar deity, if not the same one, also spelt GD in the Hebrew text but this time vowel - pointed to read "Gawd" or "God", in Jos. 11:17, 12:7, 13:5, where we find: "Baal-Gawd" or "Baal-God", according to the vowel - pointed Massoretic Hebrew text. This Baal - Gawd or Baal - God was obviously a place named after their diety.159

The astrologers identified Gad with Jupiter,159 the Sky-deity or the Sun-deity. Other sources of research also testify of "Gad" being the Sun-deity. Rev. Alexander Hislop wrote, "There is reason to believe that Gad refers to the Sun-god ... The name Gad ... is applicable to Nimrod, whose general character was that of a Sun-god ... Thus then, if Gad was the 'Sun divinity', Meni was very naturally regarded as 'The Lord Moon.' "160 Keil and Delitzsch, Commentaries on the Old Testament, comments on Isa. 65:11, "There can be no doubt, therefore, that Gad, the god of good fortune, ... is Baal (Bel) as the god of good fortune. ... this is the deified planet Jupiter ... Gad is Jupiter ... Mene is Dea Luna ... Rosenmuller very properly traces back the Scriptural rendering to this Egyptian view, according to which Gad is the sun-god, and Meni the lunar goddess as the power of fate."161 Isa. 65:11 tells us than that Yahúweh 's people have forsaken Him and in the end-time are found to be serving Gad, the Sun-deity of "Good Luck", and Meni, the Moon-deity of "Destiny".

As pointed out above, this Gad (GD with and "a" vowel - pointing) is probably the same deity as we read of in the book of Joshua, GD with a vowel-pointing of "aw" or "o", Massoretes cannot always be relied on, but we can rely on the Hebrew Scriptures before the vowel-pointing was done. It could well be that the GD of Isa. 65:11 is the same as the "Gawd" or "God" of the book of Joshua. But, let us not try to establish a fact on an assumption. Let us rather do some research on the word "God".

The word God (or god), like the Greek Theos (or theos) is used in our versions as a title, a generic name, usually. It translates the Hebrew The Mighty One (or The Mighty One), El (or el), and Eloah. However, in quite a few places it is used as a name whenever it is used as a substitute for the Tetragrammaton, the Name of our Father, e.g. Matthew 4:4 etc. If the word God is then used as a substitute for the Name, it must be accepted that the word God has become a name again. How and when did this title or name become adopted into our modern languages? Encyclopaedia Britannica, 11th edition, says, "GOD - the common Teutonic word for a personal object of religious worship ... applied to all those superhuman beings of the heathen mythologies. The word 'god' on the conversion of the Teutonic races to Christianity was adopted as the name of the one Supreme Being ...." Webster's Twentieth Century Dictionary, Unabridged, 1st edition, says, "The word is common to Teutonic tongues ... It was applied to heathen deities and later, when the Teutonic peoples were converted to Christianity, the word was elevated to the Christian sense." James Hastings, Encyclopaedia of Religion and Ethics, vol. 6, p. 302, reads, "After the conversion of the Teutons to Christianity the word came to be applied also to the Christian Deity ... Its etymology and its original meaning are obscure, and have been much debated." J.G.R. Forlong, Encyclopedia of Religions, on "God", says, "It is remarkable that philologists are unable to decide the origin of this familiar Teutonic word." Once again, we are strongly suspicious of the rulers of darkness or the Prince of Darkness, having succeeded, once again, in hiding yet another work of darkness. There is much confusion in the European languages between the words gud (good) and god. The Scandinavian languages, like the old Anglo-Saxon, called god gud and called gud (good) god. Calling good god and god gud is bad enough to confuse us. Even worse is that the Old Nether lands languages regarded god as an idol and gud as the correct deity! Jacob Grimm recorded162 this for us, as well as Julius Pokorny and Jan de Vries.163 This inconsistency of spelling confuses us, as it must have confused the people in those early centuries who were still completely or partially ignorant of the True Mighty One and His Name. Jacob Grimm asserts that this was done because of fear, "Such a fear may arise from two causes: a holy name must not be abused, or an unholy dreaded name, e.g., that of the devil, has to be softened down by modifying its form", and then gives examples.162 Other modifying its form", and then gives examples.162 Other scholars have explained that the names of national deities were either hid, or modified, in order to prevent their enemies getting hold of these names -enemies who might use it as a magic word against them. Another reason for this changing of spelling of idols' names was the ritual of abrenuntiatio, i.e. a solemn renouncing of the names of major deities, whenever a pagan became converted to Christianity. One of the three major idols of the Teutonic tribes was called Saxnot. It is well documented how this name was renounced and later on came back in a disguised form, Saxneat. We even found that some idols' name were spelt 17 different ways.

We found further evidence that "gott" or "god" was not only a title, but used as a name too, amongst the Teutonic tribes. Simrock discovered songs wherein "Gott" was used as a beiname for the deity Odin.164 In German, beiname means: surname (or epithet, or appellation). We further found "Goda" as a proper name of an idol.165 Moreover, the same author relates how Wodan, "the name of the highest god" , also called Wotan and Odan, was also called Godan.166 The Teutonic masculine deities each had its female consort or counterpart. Thus we read that this deity's female consort was frau Gode.167 It is commonly known that our Wednesday was named after Wodan or Wotan. In Westphalian we find this day being called Godenstag.168

If the Teutonic pagans called all their idols by the generic name "gott" or "god", shall we continue to call the One that we love by the same generic name/title/or name? Why do we not translate the title The Mighty One (or El or Eloah) with it proper meaning: Mighty One or Mighty? Also, in those places where "God" has become a substitute name for "Yahúweh ", shall we continue to invite the wrath of The Mighty One by doing this? He has commanded us that we should not destroy His Name (Deut. 12:3c and 4, KJV or RSV). he is sorely displeased with those who have forgotten His Name for Baal (Jer. 23:27), remembering that Baal really was the Sun-deity. "Therefore My people shall know My Name," Isa. 52:6. "Yahúweh 's voice cries to the city - wisdom shall see Your Name," Yahúweh 6:9. "For The Mighty One will save Zion ... and those who love His Name shall dwell in it," Ps. 69:35-36. Also read Isa. 56:6-7. If we love Him, we will love His Name. If we love His Name, we will not destroy it (Deut. 12:3c and 4), we will not forget it (Jer. 23:27), we will not substitute it with a title, a generic name, or a name, which had been used for a pagan deity (Exod. 23:13). Also, and even more applicable to this present study, we will stop substituting His Name with Baal (Jer. 23:27 and Hos. 2:16) - that great Sun-deity, also known as Bel, who was the primary deity of Babylon - whether "Baal" applies to the name of the Sun-deity, or whether "Baal" became a title. We are to stop substituting His Name with anything that pertains to a Sun-deity, or even only a title with an idolatrous origin, notwithstanding attempts to justify the "changed meaning of the word".

There is not a single text in all Scripture which prohibits us from calling Him by His Name. They called upon His Name right back in Gen. 12:8 and 13:4, and as "Abraham" again in Gen. 21:33. Abraham called the place in Moria "Yahúweh Yireh", Gen. 22:14. Isaac called upon the Name Yahúweh , Gen. 26:25. Jacob used the Name, Gen. 28:16. Leah used it, Gen. 29:33 and 35. Moses proclaimed the Name of Yahúweh , Deut. 32:3. David declared Yahúweh 's name, Ps. 22:22, and so did our Messiah, Heb. 2:12, John 17:6 and 17:26. Finally, Yahushúa promised to do it again, John 17:26b, which is that which is now happening!

http://www.iahushua.com/...htm#GAD%20-%20GOD,%20GUD

Maybe we need to re-evaluate our thinking on the word/title God?

Me thinks anyways... Shalom

Offline Yahsheba  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 9, 2007 10:51:16 AM(UTC)
Yahsheba

I guess no one wants to address this topic? :(
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#6 Posted : Monday, July 9, 2007 9:40:15 PM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

I'm sure someone will?

Its a good question :)
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline Tiffany  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2007 10:12:14 AM(UTC)
Tiffany
Woman

I have since coming upon YY realized that calling Yahuweh by his personal and proper name is the best way to go. On occasion I have out of old and bad habits used the names like god and jesus, but sometimes old habits die hard. It does not surprise me in anyway shape or form that it was a deliberate attempt to keep the proper name hidden, as they said it was removed some 7000 time from the OC. So yes its a good question but I also think there is a very logical answer, and I would also say that I have a name and love when people call me by it, so anything else unless someone is unknown to me seem unacceptable. It also goes along the lines of Hosea 4:6, the lack of knowledge is what causes the people of Yahuweh to perish.
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2007 11:46:20 AM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

I have heard about this before a little, and you have a valid point.

I still use "God" because of 1.) lack of knowledge of anything else, 2.) because I feel that you need to bridge some gaps with people... I still use Jesus really in convosation with other Christians. I think because I am still trying to say Yahushua in my own life :)
Offline kp  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2007 1:58:58 PM(UTC)
kp

Here's the sad fact. There are few if any significant words or concepts in scripture that Satan hasn't done his best to compromise, obfuscate, counterfeit, or replace. Yada and I have this discussion every second Tuesday, it seems, and we never reach an adequate solution---probably because one doesn't exist. In this world, we see "through a glass, darkly." Here's our conundrum:

1. If we use the words as our society uses them, we find ourselves in error.
2. If we simply avoid every word we can find with satanic fingerprints on it, we lose the ability to express ourselves. His grubby little hands have soiled everything that is dear to us---or should be. We end up sounding like mimes.
3. If we retreat from our native language into Paleo Hebrew or Koine Greek, only a handful of folks have a clue as to what we mean. Words aren't very useful if they don't communicate anything to our listeners. How many people equate "God" with "Elohim?" A few, but not many.
4. If we use a composite vocabulary using a blend of accurate though unwieldy terms (e.g. called-out ones), original-language seed-words (ekklesia), and common though incorrect termiology (church), our books end up being 900 pages instead of 650 pages :-)
5. If we strictly limit ourselves to "correct" terminology and insist that others we talk with do the same, we run the risk of causing unnecessary division among Yahweh's people---appearing (even if it's not true) to be prideful of our own intellect and knowledge.
6. On the other hand, if we acquiesce to the common parlance, we forever run into the problem of "How wrong can you be and still be right?"

So how do I handle it? In my writing, I try to use the "composite vocabulary" I described in #4. I realize by doing this, I'm running the risk of offending everybody who reads my stuff, for one reason or another, but i figure it's the best way to introduce a proper vocabulary to an under-educated world. Second, I try to pick my battles. For instance, I don't ever call Yahweh "The Lord" as if it's a name, but since He (including Yahshua) is the One I consider my boss, my Ruler, my Master, even my Owner (though it's my choice to regard Him as such), I have no problem with calling Him my lord. Perfectly good English word, even if Satan uses it too. Third, I consider the "weaker brother" element. I don't use a condescending attitude toward folks who haven't been priviliged to learn the right words---and that's most everybody. At the same time, I seed my conversation with accurate proper names (e.g. Yahshua instead of Jesus), and explain who I'm talking about if they don't get it. In short, I try to be a bridge between "knowing" and "willing to learn." I don't know if this is the "correct" approach or not, but at least I'm trying to do what's right. Others have other solutions. May Yahweh honor our efforts to honor Him.

kp
Offline Yahsheba  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, July 11, 2007 5:54:28 AM(UTC)
Yahsheba

kp wrote:
2. If we simply avoid every word we can find with satanic fingerprints on it, we lose the ability to express ourselves. His grubby little hands have soiled everything that is dear to us---or should be. We end up sounding like mimes.

I am not talking about every word here, I am only talking about the title God.

kp wrote:
5. If we strictly limit ourselves to "correct" terminology and insist that others we talk with do the same, we run the risk of causing unnecessary division among Yahweh's people---appearing (even if it's not true) to be prideful of our own intellect and knowledge.

I didn't insist that the world talk the way we do. What makes you think everyone you talk to are Yahweh's people? Not all are being called out now. Yahshua came to divide.

kp wrote:
So how do I handle it? In my writing, I try to use the "composite vocabulary" I described in #4. I realize by doing this, I'm running the risk of offending everybody who reads my stuff, for one reason or another, but i figure it's the best way to introduce a proper vocabulary to an under-educated world. Second, I try to pick my battles. For instance, I don't ever call Yahweh "The Lord" as if it's a name, but since He (including Yahshua) is the One I consider my boss, my Ruler, my Master, even my Owner (though it's my choice to regard Him as such), I have no problem with calling Him my lord. Perfectly good English word, even if Satan uses it too. Third, I consider the "weaker brother" element. I don't use a condescending attitude toward folks who haven't been priviliged to learn the right words---and that's most everybody. At the same time, I seed my conversation with accurate proper names (e.g. Yahshua instead of Jesus), and explain who I'm talking about if they don't get it. In short, I try to be a bridge between "knowing" and "willing to learn." I don't know if this is the "correct" approach or not, but at least I'm trying to do what's right. Others have other solutions. May Yahweh honor our efforts to honor Him.kp

Yahshua didn't care who he offended, he told it like it was. Take it or leave it, it was all done in love. As I understand it.

So, writing God instead of heavenly father or creator would be offending? I don't think so. Oh well to each it's own.

Yahsheba

Offline bitnet  
#11 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2008 2:42:52 AM(UTC)
bitnet

Yahsheba, from what I read here I think you already found your answers or know where to find them. It is up to you what you want to do with the information. Everyone seems to want to do everything and anything in their right mind, and do it in love. So if you think that that is correct, and that not everyone belongs to Yahweh and that Yahushua came to divide, you may follow your convictions and see where it leads.

In all our searching and thinking and finding, has anyone ever thought what may happen to a believer who found the Truth, obeyed, shared and brought more people to Yahweh only to suffer from Alzheimer's disease later on in life and even forget his or her own name let alone the names of Yahweh and Yahushua? Much is in a name, especially the divine Names, but it does not mean a passport to the Creator. That is why even the fallen angels tremble at His name, but look at where they are -- still fallen and still in oblivion.
The reverence of Yahweh is the beginning of Wisdom.
Offline sugarman  
#12 Posted : Sunday, February 3, 2008 12:17:44 PM(UTC)
sugarman

I would think lowest case g like god means Satan because itSs a false god and satan wants us to worship false gods etc....

Any time The true God is mentioned he has The Big G right?
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#13 Posted : Sunday, February 3, 2008 12:22:02 PM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

sugarman wrote:
I would think lowest case g like god means Satan because itSs a false god and satan wants us to worship false gods etc....

Any time The true God is mentioned he has The Big G right?

Personally I do that Sugarman, I would rather call Yah by His Name, but sometimes its good to connect to people as well.
Offline sugarman  
#14 Posted : Sunday, February 3, 2008 3:01:24 PM(UTC)
sugarman

Robskiwarrior wrote:

Personally I do that Sugarman, I would rather call Yah by His Name, but sometimes its good to connect to people as well.

True. If I started talking in Hebrew they will be like what! lol

I only know some words in Hebrew
Offline bitnet  
#15 Posted : Sunday, February 3, 2008 4:06:12 PM(UTC)
bitnet

Hello Sugarman,

For a quick education in Hebrew, click on my post titled Learning Hebrew. I learnt real fast! ;-) But seriously, learning names should not be problem, whether the names of our Creator and Saviour, or of His appointed emmisaries, or of the Feasts that He instituted, or even the names of the months that He used. We meet new people almost everyday and learn their names, so it is not an issue here. And when you use these names wisely in your conversations, people around you will slowly pick up on it. It may take weeks, months or even years, but your witnessing shall slowly prevail. More importantly, it is you who shall be drawn closer to Yahweh. Know Him, and live in joy and abundance.
The reverence of Yahweh is the beginning of Wisdom.
Offline shalom82  
#16 Posted : Sunday, February 3, 2008 5:48:40 PM(UTC)
shalom82

When I lived abroad I didn't say, "What's your name?"
"Li Zhong Yi"
"Eh...ok...I'll call you Frank. And you? What's your name?
"Chou Xiao Shu"
"Ok...I'm gonna call you Sam. How about this fellow over here?"
"His name is Fang Xiao Long"
"From now on he's gonna be Marty."
....and so on and so on and so on.

How much more so with Yahuweh and his Messiah, Yahushua.
YHWH's ordinances are true, and righteous altogether.