logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Theophilus  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 23, 2008 7:10:11 AM(UTC)
Theophilus
Man

This might belong in the Twilight Zone, but maybe Torah afterall. I hope once again you'll indulge my taking a conversation from another source and getting your feed back on it from a YY TOM perspective. A friend of mine who now describes herself as a Messianic Jew, a Judaizer, a student of the oral law / Talmud and most recently a Rabbi without a congregation created a topic with the title Christianity v Paulianity. It goes as follows:

Quote:
Most folks that call themselves Christians put more into the words of Paul than the words of Yeshua.

The problem is, Paul contridicts Yeshua, Abraham, Moses, Daniel, Issac, the list goes on.

Paul, is the false prophet people were warned about.

Lets look at what a prophet is by the dictionary...

A person who speaks by divine inspiration or as the interpreter through whom the will of a god is expressed.
A person gifted with profound moral insight and exceptional powers of expression.
A predictor; a soothsayer.
The chief spokesperson of a movement or cause.

God expressed His will clearly, Not a jot not an iota... that thought has been passed on many many times by true prophets. God has never changed His mind on that.

Paul, says he did.

Paul contridicts Christ.

I think it's going to the point where we are supposed to according to Christ. A bad fruit produces bad fruit, look at any major Church's congregation, and leadership in terms of how they CONDUCT themselves. They pick and choose out of the bible as they see fit, totally ignoring Deut 13:1, 12:32 in a nonkosher bible.

God IS interested in making everyone abide by a SET standard of rules that are made to THEIR life. If you actually read the 603+10 you'd know that. 10 for everybody, 603 some are for everybody, most are for particular groups of people.

Paul, took a stand for what he believed in that was AGAINST what Yeshua believed in, against what God believed in.

God promised, FOREVER with Abraham ... so you are saying Paul is right and God is a liar?

How does one love God?

Lets get to something more basic, how does one show their parents that they love them?

By following their rules. Whether we agree or not, as a parent or a child, you gleem the knowledge of their love, not fear, but love when they follow your rules. The rules of the 603+10 are actually not all that difficult to follow. And, even if you continue to break one there is a way around it to get absolution from the tresspass of the rule, even "stoning" offenses have an out other than being killed.

Paul, bypasses this, says NOBODY has to obey the laws, gentile or Jew....

Hence he is a false prophet...

While his belief in Messiah gains him access to heaven, it's as the lowest not the highest...and if you're going to shoot for the stars why hit the moon?

This reminded me of the question KP asked at the begining of TOM. How are we to understand the Law in light of the renewed covenant. I'll have to find out what 10 mitvot are for all Gentiles and Jews?
Offline Theophilus  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 23, 2008 10:21:35 AM(UTC)
Theophilus
Man

Yes I think she's holding that the Law is both able to be kept and that Paul was still saved due to his trust in Yahshua. It seems that the key distinction is what is the purpose for the Law compared to what are Yahweh's terms for relationship. I'm sure being genetically Jewish could lead one into accepting rabbinical traditions. it seems to me that Yahuweh gave a comprehesnive set of prescriptions to keep those who bore his name set apart from their neighbors. I also agree that these are also generally good and healthy prescriptions for living that our Maker wants us to make use of for our benefit and to better know Him. Yet what is ultimately desired for relationship is not so much obedience to rulesets rather a heart change to turn away form ourselves and to trust, seek, and revere Yah.
Offline shalom82  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 23, 2008 1:48:06 PM(UTC)
shalom82

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Seems like she is going down a road that leads to her being a former Messianic Yahudi. In the Messianic movement people including Rabbis are leaving in droves due to an anti missionary infiltration into their congregations. Perhaps I sound paranoid...but I know personally of at least one congregation that has had to deal with this. Part of the problem stems from the fact that these congregations scream...WE'RE JEWISH, HEY...LOOK, WE'RE JEWISH!!!...and whisper...and we believe in Messiah, Yeshua. The problem is an issue of emphasis. It's a sad reality...that happens mostly over appearances....and presumptions. Who looks more pious...the orthodox Jew with his side curls and long beard and spartan black clothing or the Messianic who is often does not look the part...according to peoples expectations? I don't know what the answer is...well actually I do know..it's leaning on the word of Yahuweh to get through your insecurities and fears....All that being Said...this is not Paul's problem....There has always been a faithful remnant in Messianic Belief that has held to the Sabbath, The Miqrym, and the appropriate Torah precepts in places diverse as Ethiopia and Transylvania....EVEN WITH PAUL's LETTERS!!! The message he is trying to get accross is one of emphasis and trying to teach and tell people not to put the cart before the horse...or for that matter call the cart a horse. or say the cart and the horse do the same thing....and even though it's been nearly 2000 years..the Modern Messianic movement still doesn't get it....and suffers due their stubborness, ignorance...and hatred of and towards, Rav Shaul Paul.

"All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work."...I don't think Shaul Paul could have made it any clearer...especially when you consider that at the time he was writing this there was no canonized new covenant scriptures.
YHWH's ordinances are true, and righteous altogether.
Offline Theophilus  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 23, 2008 4:32:15 PM(UTC)
Theophilus
Man

Well said Shalom82. I was vaguely aware of the tug of traditionalism within many Mesianic Congregations and presume it must be a special challenge to live within the Jewish community and yet revere Yahushua as Messiyah.

I read a follow up passage fromthe same rabbi:

Quote:
Christianity as we know it today is really Paulism Paulanity Paulican pick one I'm easy on the choice.

Christianity as Yeshua taught it, is Judaism not what is being spouted from most pulpits.

The book of Ruth, explains how a Moabite a Gentile, became a Jewess. It's not a difficult process as most Rabbis' and the state of Israel lead many to believe.

I can agree that Yahshua lived and taught as a Yahudi in Yisra'el and would therefore differ from modern Christianity in significant respects. To be Yahudi is to revere and be related to Yah as in Ruth's case. I think a distintion needs to be made between Yahshua's mission / teachings of revealing and redeeming sinners and the religion of Rabbinical Judaism.

Quote:
Annointed in a special manner, unique yes but not unique...because we all have a bit of God in us in the neshama. As does every breathing animal that God breathed life into.

I'm guessing that she is either confusing or equating Neshama (wind or conscience ) with Nepish (breath or soul)?

Quote:
Paul upsets me in that he is a major factor in many inconsistancies within the rules and regulations if you will.

Yeshua told us, not one jot, not one iota of the mitzvots would disappear until the judgment... Paul in Acts removes a bulk of the mitzvots including the most important one, the circumsion, which he then preforms on another...

What Yeshua taught was what was written in Torah, the 10 commandment at their purist. What he rejected, man made rules such as a non Kohan washing their hands ceremoniously before a meal, not picking a single grain in the field if starved with no food, the list goes on and on about the misuse of the law that the Pharisees where enacting in order to be more controlling of the people, and sorrifully many of them exist to this day. Mixing milk with meat, when the prohibition is to not boil a calf in it's mother's milk.

Yeshua taught the love of fellow man, Judaism has a very bad rap for being racist, when in actuallity it is not. David, the grandson of a Moabite, mitzvots telling us to treat the gentile with respect, and not to take advantage of them ever. The story of Lot, and how he gave refuge to 2 strangers even when the mobs wanted them to be thrown out so they can do horrible things to them, where Lot offered his own daughters to save the men such a fate.

He didn't teach anything new and exciting, He taught what was already written, the laws already given. The sad thing is, Torah is not taught to Gentiles usually, they only learn the bits and pieces that their Pulpit beater wishes them to know and they do not delve into the Torah with the mind that this is God's will.

I'm pleased that she seems to recognize that Yahshua rejected man-made traditions in favor of the written Scriptures and that the interpretations of the mitzvot as applied by modern tradition is errant. The aspect of Yahshua coming to fullfill rather than refine the Torah seems to be missing. As for nothing new revealed by Yahshua?
Offline shalom82  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 23, 2008 6:13:15 PM(UTC)
shalom82

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
It's like she is so close but so far away

When she says the old 613 mantra...or in her case 603+10...she has already fallen into a trap. As kp demonstrated over and over again the 613 codification is a construct and as a list is often padded with extrapolations and assumptions...and POWER GRABS for the religious rabbinic establishment. What I say for what it's worth is read the text without any presumptions or expectations...get what you can get out of it on the practical sense and more importantly the spiritual sense. She is right that in the religious institution of Christianity you only hear a certain amount and have even less of a chance to apply it in a practical sense...but is Rabbinic Judaism better in denying what the entire Torah...and for that matter the Tanakh points to?
I hope this will make some sense, but this is how I see it. The Torah (and the Tanakh) is a textbook....let's say a math textbook. It teaches you basic arithmetic, algebra, trigonometry, geometry, calculus and all these things you learn step by step are preparing you for Quantum Mechanics. Quantum Mechanics is great, and wonderful...with that knowledge you can send people to the moon...but that does not do away with basic arithmetic....we still need to go to the supermarket...after all....but at the same time let's not forget that we learned all of those formative disciplines so we could have the ability to learn Q.M.....not reject to Quantum mechanics and instead claim that algebra is the greatest purpose of the textbook. As I said...Paul is trying to put things in perspective...and he should not be the whipping boy of Messianic Judaism...especially in light of the fact that his explantions if explained properly are the surest way to stem the tide of counter-missionizing.
And as to what she said about Rav Paul of blessed memory is libel. Christianity is not a product of Paul any more than Rabbinic Judaism is a product of the Torah. Both have been used to "boil the kid in it's mother's milk" Christianity is a product of Constantinian fornication with Roman sungod worship more than anything else. Paul didn't talk about Christmas, or Easter, or prayers for the dead, or confession....or anything else that this forum generally despises about THE RELIGIOUS INSTITUTION of Christianity...in it's many and varying forms. If she goes down that road she might as well say that Yahushuaism is christianity as we know it today because He has been used just like Paul/Shaul to justify sabbath breaking, unclean eating, and many other things.
Are you really serious that she has proclaimed herself a rabbi?

YHWH's ordinances are true, and righteous altogether.
Offline bitnet  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 23, 2008 7:29:28 PM(UTC)
bitnet

Shalom All,

"There is nothing new under the sun." Theo, your friend's reasoning has been around since the first century. She needs to visit this site and learn more before deciding that her proclamation as rabbi is real.
The reverence of Yahweh is the beginning of Wisdom.
Offline Mike_Browell  
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2008 7:17:41 PM(UTC)
Mike_Browell
Man

Peace Everyone,

I'm sorry but anti-paulists are either very confused or deep down hate Father Yahweh. For in order to do away with 2/3s of the Renewed Covenant scriptures there must be something wrong. And not to be offensive but Doctrinal teaching is not supposed to come through women. Don't take that the wrong way I do not think of women as stupid or insignificant, but the do tend to be swept away be emotion. Which is useful if regulated properly. Women are as needed in the congregations as men, but should filter their knowledge though a man.... Which simply means discuss and refine their points with either their husband or a spiritual elder, and if that person is truly a man of Elohim credit will be placed with the originator of the idea. Besides pride should not delude you to think that you deserve praise for the thoughts of Yahweh. I didn't mean to go on a rant, but I believe this is pertinent to this conversation.

1Co 14:34 Let your women be silent in the assemblies, for they are not allowed to speak, but let them subject themselves, as the Torah also says. ISR

Your Loving Brother,
Michael Browell
Offline J&M  
#8 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2008 9:43:38 PM(UTC)
J&M

Do you think that before removing the speck from the eye of womankind, we could work on the planks in the eye of MANkind

I did not note any women nailing Messiah to the stauros....

It is dangerous to take Paul out of the Judaic context of his work, Paul was Jewish, and a Jewish scholar of repute. He had studied ander Gamaliel who had, in turn, studied under Hillel. This was pure 'Ivy League/Oxbridge'. One of the major problems of 'Christianity' is that the writings of Paul are removed from their 'OLD Covenant' context and used as the basis of a 'new' religion in isolation. Men did that, not Paul.

Offline jojocc  
#9 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2008 3:30:26 AM(UTC)
jojocc

Mike_Browell wrote:
And not to be offensive but Doctrinal teaching is not supposed to come through women. Don't take that the wrong way I do not think of women as stupid or insignificant, but the do tend to be swept away be emotion. Which is useful if regulated properly. Women are as needed in the congregations as men, but should filter their knowledge though a man....

Although I should probably have filtered this through you first, I think a few things need clarification here.

1) By eliminating the ability to discourse for women from the Ekklesia, Lucifer has effectively removed 50% of the believing population - Kul HaKavod!!!

2) Read and understand the Greek. I think that this particular passage has been twisted along with the rest of the NC, please remember that the subjugation of women is a trademark of RELIGION.

3) "tend to be swept away by emotion" - at least tend to be isn't all... If the RQ is working in a person, who do we think we are to shut them up? This goes for Paul, women, children and a donkey, unless I'm mistaken.

Please, we need to get away from this sort of thinking, in Yahashua there is neither male nor female, bond nor free, Jew nor Gentile. For women to 'filter their knowledge' would be the same as saying, "You can go to heaven, IF you tell all your sins to that nice man dressed in a black dress over there, oh, and don't forget to call him father."

However, since I am female I guess I had better check with my father or one of the male members of our e-Ekklesia before I post any more ;-)

As for Paul, we have had a similar thread before, Paul was separated out to the RQ, again, if the RQ says he's okay - we should probably be listening to what the man said, taken in the context of who he is saying it to, and when he said it.
Offline kp  
#10 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2008 4:44:43 AM(UTC)
kp

Once again, we seem to be getting bogged down in the minutiae of our perceived rules instead of stepping back to see the picture Yahweh is painting for us through them: He is teaching us about Himself (and I can't even say that without getting myself in trouble, because of the English use of masculine and feminine pronouns). In no biological sense is Yahweh a "male" or the Ruach Qodesh "female" although the Hebrew genders work out that way. I believe "He" created us male and female so we could understand how God (there's a nice neutral description) relates to us. It has absolutely nothing to do with one sex being better or stronger or more worthy than another. It's just that "He," by assigning varying roles to us, is teaching us how He works in our lives.

So Yahweh (the "Father") is our ultimate authority, provider, and protector. The Holy Spirit (our "Heavenly Mother," if you will) is our counselor, comforter, and the one who convicts us of Yahweh's truth. These things, in the most sweeping of terms, are reflected in our assigned roles as men and women in God's kingdom. But we need to remember, Yahweh and the Ruach Qodesh are ONE. There is no disagreement between them, no working at cross purposes, no vying for power. Men who are dumb enough to use Paul's writings to put women in a subservient position to themselves have missed the point completely.

kp
Offline Mark  
#11 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2008 5:12:30 AM(UTC)
Mark

Not a Jot not an iota of Law passed away..........It was instead fulfilled....I think I'll stick with Paul rather than Theo's friend.....Paul describes the new covenant well.... and dealt with these problems of Law vs. Grace quite well. He went so far as to claim that the WHOLE law is fulfilled by one principle " Love your neighbor as yourself." This is a problem.

Offline bitnet  
#12 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2008 6:29:44 AM(UTC)
bitnet

Shalom Everyone,

It is the Sabbath here in Malaysia and the birds are tweeting in the trees, the clouds are rolling over the horizon, and things are rumbling on the YY Forum. We've had Swalchy shut down one thread about music because it was getting heated up in there for no real reason, and now we seem to be facing some discontent over the words used to describe Yahweh and His manifestations.

People, far be it for me to make judgements about the role of each sex but Scripture is very clear about it: we are the same in Yahweh's eyes. However, each of us have roles to play as we are created. That is the nature of things. But do not focus on the differences but on the prize at hand instead. We are to love each other, respectfully. Remember that none of us could come into the world without the other. So if we love each other as He (this is a definite!) commanded, what does it matter what sex Elohim and the Ruach Qodesh are? The terms used (merely) describe the nature for our benefit but in the spirit world there is neither male nor female. Once we can get over this point, then nothing else matters here except loving each other until eternity.

So as KP says, let's not get bogged down in minutiae. Let's address each concern respectfully when we come to it and not be dogmatic or take offense.
The reverence of Yahweh is the beginning of Wisdom.
Offline gammafighter  
#13 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2008 9:14:41 AM(UTC)
gammafighter
Man

I was going to look into the "Is Paul a real Apostle/Was Paul divinely inspired?" debate, but my friend who is a pastor pointed out at the end of 2 Peter, Peter verifies that Paul's writings are Scripture (at least that's what the English say). I think we can trust Peter, since He was well-documented as getting approval from Yahushua. Therefore, I think we can trust Paul.