logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline James  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2007 7:01:48 PM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
Not sure this it the proper place to post this, but I couldn't think of anywhere else.

I decided long ago that I was going to abstain from sex untill I was married for my own reasons, this was before I knew Yahweh. But I have heard that in the Torah their is no where that prohibits premarital sex, only that a man who has sex with a virgin, must then marry here, or if she will not have him, pay the price of virginity. I do not know exactly where the Renewed Covanent weighs in on this, but would be interested in hearing others opinion. And when I say premarital sex, I don't mean running around sleeping with anybody and everybody, but more of two people who are in love, and plan to spend their lifes together.

Just thought this might be a bit of a controversal topic and might spark an interesting and informative disscusion.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline Light1  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2007 11:08:39 PM(UTC)
Light1
Man

The way I see it, sex has a dimension where two people become one spiritually so you do have to be careful. I wouldn't consider it until you are planning to get married. But if the relationship is headed there I would 'kick the tires before you buy the car' at least once to make sure they don't have some kind of weird fetish or dysfunction that you wouldn't want to discover after you're hitched. ;)
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 22, 2007 2:38:21 AM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Well - I have actually been thinking alot about all of this kinda christian ethical stuff, and where I am at the moment is that 2 people commited to each other will become one. Marraige is a public declaration that you are gonna stay together forever, and is in that way positive. But I would think there is more merrit in 2 commited people who have lived together for years in a good solid relationship who dont want to get married, than 2 who get married and never bother working on the relationship... Who are the ones who are married in Yahweh's eyes? I would say the guys with the teamwork aspect... I see marraige as a very much man made event that we can now use to judge other peoples worthyness or whatever, "ooww child out of wedlock...".

I think you know what I mean... I am pro marrige I have to say, but its more than a few words and a blessing / register signing...
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline kp  
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 22, 2007 5:42:06 AM(UTC)
kp

I think (though I can't prove it) you guys have missed the point. In Yahweh's eyes, apparently, sex is marriage. The physical union between a man and a woman is a metaphor for the spiritual union between God and His people---His "bride." That's why divorce is forbidden for any reason other than for adultery (in which case the symbol has already been destroyed); why rape is a capital offense; why the daughter of a priest (read: believer) who becomes a harlot was to be burned at the stake; and conversely, why a young man and an unbetrothed virgin who let their homones run amok are not stoned, but are rather "sentenced" to a life of marriage with no possibility of parole. The wedding ceremony has nothing to do with it---that's just there so the community can rejoice with the couple.

But remember, the ideal marriage doesn't begin with a sexual union (recent American cinema not withstanding). It begins with a promise, a commitment---a betrothal. The promise of faithfulness that exists between Yahweh and His bride is mirrored in the promise of faithfulness between a man and a woman. The institution of marriage isn't so much a rule as a prophecy---one that is in the midst of being fulfilled in the life of the Ekklesia. We have indeed been "betrothed" to Yahshua, but we have not yet consumated the marriage. The promises have been made, but we are still spiritual virgins. Our "wedding night" isn't that far off. The marriage supper of the Lamb is right around the corner. What will it be like? How does Yahweh feel about his bride? Go back and read the Song of Solomon, and put yourself in the shoes of the Shulamite. Is it getting warm in here?

kp
Offline Icy  
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 22, 2007 8:44:54 AM(UTC)
Icy
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I am in agreement with kp. Mariage, as society sees it, is nothing more than a piece of paper. In the eyes of the government, the paper makes a couple married. But, in the eyes of Yahuweh, you are married with that first act of sex. There is a reson there is no outline of the ceremony of marriage, because the ceremony doesn't matter. . . sex is the ceremony and the signing of the contract to Yahuweh. I am disappointed in myself that I did not realize that when I was younger.
Offline shalom82  
#6 Posted : Thursday, November 22, 2007 11:06:12 AM(UTC)
shalom82

I am in complete agreement with KP. My wife and I were not allowed to get married because she is a Chinese citizen. Women cannot get married until they are 20 years old in China. Through reading the scriptures and looking at the accounts throughout the word of Yahuweh I actually had concluded this when I was in high school. The promises and the covenant made between two people with and infront of their creator and the consumation of that union is marriage. My wife and I did have relations before we were "married" by government standards. But before we did we went to a secluded spot and before Yahuweh made solemn promises to each other and to Him. I took the scriptures and read some pertinent passages as we were hand in hand. You could say that we "lived in sin" but we really didn't. We understood that this wasn't a bf and a gf living together on a let's see what happens basis. We took our vows very seriously. I called her my wife and she called me her husband even before we had the government's piece of paper. We have now been married in our eyes for 3 and a half years and I love her more than ever.
YHWH's ordinances are true, and righteous altogether.
Offline gammafighter  
#7 Posted : Thursday, November 22, 2007 12:57:21 PM(UTC)
gammafighter
Man

Nice insights everyone :D
As a teenager, I was very interested to hear ideas on this topic, lol.

Edited by user Thursday, November 22, 2007 6:40:57 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline James  
#8 Posted : Sunday, November 25, 2007 6:20:54 PM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
kp wrote:
why a young man and an unbetrothed virgin who let their homones run amok are not stoned, but are rather "sentenced" to a life of marriage with no possibility of parole.

I like what you say KP especially this one.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline Matthew  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, January 16, 2008 10:17:41 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Great topic! Wish I had taken this part of my life seriously.

Anyway, I posted a comment on a particular Facebook group, in which I stated that two people become married, according to Scripture, through the act of sex. However, a person responded saying that in John 4 the Samaritan woman was staying (in other words having sex) with a person not her husband. And if she was having sex with a person that Yahshua said was not her husband then my "sex is marriage" quote has gone down the tubes, or in his words "there goes your whole 'sex is marriage' thing."

John 4:15-18 "The woman said to Him, "Master, give me this water, so that I do not thirst, nor come here to draw." Yahshua said to her, "Go, call your husband, and come here." The woman answered and said, "I have no husband." Yahshua said to her, "You have well said, 'I have no husband,' for you have had five husbands, and the one whom you now have is not your husband. What you have said is true."

At first Yahshua says to go get her husband, but then says that he is not her husband. He also says for you have had five husbands, where the word 'had' shows that they were husbands, and are not anymore.

I know the topic has more to do with Yahshua being the living water and that the Torah cannot save, but how does it relate to the Father's eyes when people have casual sex (without commitment), so as to speak. Are they married, whether spiritually or physically, in His eyes?

Light1 wrote:
But if the relationship is headed there I would 'kick the tires before you buy the car' at least once to make sure they don't have some kind of weird fetish or dysfunction that you wouldn't want to discover after you're hitched. ;)

Light1, what do you mean by this? Are you saying that one should 'test the waters' before, or after, jumping into a commitment? Matthew 5:32 "But I say to you that whoever puts her away, except for the matter of whoring, makes her commit adultery. And whoever marries a woman who has been put away commits adultery." This verse seems to imply that one finds out only after the first sexual encounter that one's partner is sexually deviant, in other words a commitment came first and then sexual intercourse afterwards.
Offline shalom82  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, January 16, 2008 12:42:33 PM(UTC)
shalom82

Sex would (AND CAN...and I believe has legitimately) constitute(d) marriage. Our failings do not nullify or damn Yahuweh's perfect designs and righteousness...however they do damn us. I would say that Yahushua's spoke more about a condition of the heart that was manifested in physical action and no so much about sex being marrige. By her own admission that the man was not her husband the Samaritan was just being honest about that condition. If Yahushua looked into this woman's heart and saw that this woman and man were committed to each other and desired to raise a family together, share hardships and happinesses together, for richer for poorer in sickness and in health...all that jazz...instead of just shacking up for a while out of convenience or lust...and perhaps seeing how things worked out...but actually had joined hearts and hands and were sharing the same bed without a ceremony or religious recognition...I think he would have been serious about telling her to get her husband instead of trying to convict her heart of her sin. This woman obviously was spreading her love around a bit too generously for Yahushua's tastes which I would say has something more to do with adultery than what is not or is marriage. I don't mean to be petty or vulgar but we all know people that are comparable to this Samaritan woman in our communities that have 8 kids from 5 different men and seem to have a new man every couple of months. However, I don't want to disparage the ole' lass too much, because for all we know she could have changed her POV...and the attitude of her heart...accepted the Messiah...kicked out the bum...or made it honest...and sinned no more and is now sleeping in Paradise. Having said all this...are ceremonies...and wedding parties wrong? Of course not....and perhaps it does prompt people to be a little more honest or determined...but I am not willing to judge somebody who does not have a piece of paper when the actions state something good has happened. Perhaps it doesn't happen so much in this society now...people shack up and live together for a year or two and all the while share their beds and expenses and call each other bfs and gfs...and then....splittsville...no harm no foul...we were just bf and gf...even if we did have kids...but that doesn't once again soil Yah's plans and designs...we are simply waves throwing ourselves against rocks that never crack or erode.

So there goes his assertion that there goes your arguement that sex is marriage...yeah...

All of this came out much worse than it was in my head...I hope it makes sense at least a bit. Please don't woop me!
YHWH's ordinances are true, and righteous altogether.
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, January 16, 2008 1:50:37 PM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

shalom82 wrote:
Please don't woop me!

Woop!

Naa makes sense, I think everyone is going to the same destination with this one.

I used to think the act of the marriage service mattered, in a church, before God. But now I realise church doesn't matter... It does matter to announce it publicly - and make a public stand to say "its you and me babe - forever" or however you want to coin the phrase, then people can celebrate with you! Celebration is good :D

The simple fact is, sex is marriage.

I dislike the guilt people can put on a couple that have been together for years in a committed relationship - without the certificate from the local religious leaders, when others can marry and re-marry as many times as they like. But because they were married - its all ok.

Lets face it, we are all crap with relationships, we are all self centred, we all have human "fleshy" desires... In our world sex is thrown about like sweets (candy) into a hungry crowed. But why is it like that? Because sex is intimacy, and really no matter how macho we make ourselfs look, we just want someone to love us. We are a bunch of insecure children, stuck in a blind world that has lost its daddy.

Offline Tiffany  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, January 16, 2008 7:19:26 PM(UTC)
Tiffany
Woman

Ok, so I am going to be brutally honest with anyone who reads this post.

I have read everything that is written here and I am having a hard time with some of the comments. We have got to as society take back the intimacy that is formed when a man and a woman become one. There is a very clear reason that Yah says that we are not to defile the marriage bed, and there is a reason that the bridegroom went off to prepare a place for his bride. We have got to look at sex and marriage beyond just the night it happens and realize it’s a commitment well before the actual act. There has to be the betrothal and then the marriage the actually ceremony of sorts, now however it is done is irrelevant. It can't be just a jump in bed sort of commitment because we all know how successful that plan was, look at all the broken and hurting people, look at the children with no parents, its about acknowledging your commitment. I get so frustrated when sex is misused to justify our actions, we are lustful by nature I guess it came with the fall but we are as Yahudim called to live a life that is honoring to Yahweh and in doing that we must follow his word.

And Rob if a couple was so committed why not get married? True commitment is honoring each other enough to promise themselves in marriage right? The paper is not worthless but it is the written proof of what is already on your heart and at least here it allows for a tax break. Sorry if this is a little random, but I am passionate about this and I am tired of people getting hurt just to suite our desires.
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, January 16, 2008 9:38:33 PM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Tiffany wrote:
Ok, so I am going to be brutally honest with anyone who reads this post.

I have read everything that is written here and I am having a hard time with some of the comments. We have got to as society take back the intimacy that is formed when a man and a woman become one. There is a very clear reason that Yah says that we are not to defile the marriage bed, and there is a reason that the bridegroom went off to prepare a place for his bride. We have got to look at sex and marriage beyond just the night it happens and realize it’s a commitment well before the actual act. There has to be the betrothal and then the marriage the actually ceremony of sorts, now however it is done is irrelevant. It can't be just a jump in bed sort of commitment because we all know how successful that plan was, look at all the broken and hurting people, look at the children with no parents, its about acknowledging your commitment. I get so frustrated when sex is misused to justify our actions, we are lustful by nature I guess it came with the fall but we are as Yahudim called to live a life that is honoring to Yahweh and in doing that we must follow his word.

And Rob if a couple was so committed why not get married? True commitment is honoring each other enough to promise themselves in marriage right? The paper is not worthless but it is the written proof of what is already on your heart and at least here it allows for a tax break. Sorry if this is a little random, but I am passionate about this and I am tired of people getting hurt just to suite our desires.

I agree with you Tiff, I dont believe what I am saying justifies jumping into bed with anyone or doing it lightly. When I say sex is marriage, its 2 becoming 1, it solidifies the relationship and its not just a mechanism for pleasure. What I am saying is if you have had sex you are marring yourself to that person. I believe preparation is very much so needed, and I also believe a public display of your intentions towards each other. What I hate is the pomp of the ceremony. I dont believe the paper does matter, because I have seen so many couples who end up as you described - with the paper, and also without.

When I say sex is marriage - I'm saying look out guys!

If 2 adults are in a committed relationship, who am I to tell them that they are to legally get a bit of paper or stand before a man in a dress in a building they never go into except maybe for hatching matching and dispatching. (christening, weddings, funerals). In Yahweh's eyes they are married. But it is about commitment, and it is for life! Please don't think I advocate the "one night marriage" lol