logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline ken  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 26, 2018 11:56:10 PM(UTC)
ken

Hi, I just started reading into yada yah and I have a question.
Im a business man and I deal with images on labels, website illistrations, logos, etc. None of these images are related to religion. Does the passage below mean an artist can't create a portrait, or a kid drawing a superhero?

You should not ever do anything which associates yourself with (lo’ ‘asah la – you should never attend to, act upon, engage with, or profit from, you should never conceive or fashion on your behalf (qal imperfect – conveying a literal interpretation and ongoing implications)) a carved image or idol (pesel – a religious icon or object of worship representing any god), or any (kol) visual representation of something (tamunah – likeness, appearance, picture, drawing, painting, or form which depicts or resembles anything), which is (‘asher) in (ba) the heavens above (samaym min ma’al – the spiritual realm on high including the sun, moon, planets, and stars above), or (wa) which is (‘asher) on (ba) the earth (‘erets – land and ground, even the material realm) below (tahath), or (wa) which is (‘asher) in (ba) the waters (maym) beneath the land (tahath ‘erets).
Offline James  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2019 4:01:52 PM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
Ken I would say look at the word pesel. It speaks of carved idols representing gods, all that follows should be viewed as an extension of that. If an artist paints a picture of a particularly beautiful tree, or a beautiful sky, but it has nothing to do with representing a god then all they are doing is appreciating the beauty that Yahowah has put all around us. As for logos etc. unless you are using pagan statuary which represented gods, i.e. the Starbucks Logo, then nothing you are doing would fall under this category.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
thanks 1 user thanked James for this useful post.
shamar emet on 3/1/2019(UTC)
Offline Glitch  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2019 9:05:12 AM(UTC)
Glitch

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
This discussion makes me mindful of the image created by man that is found ubiquitously throughout Christianity, their dead “Jesus” nailed to a pagan cross. It certainly fits the description of something Yahowah says we should not do. Believers definitely associate themselves with this “carved image or idol, religious icon or object of worship”. It does seem to be a “representation of something in the heavens above, or which is on the earth below, or which is in the waters beneath the land”, especially the first point. Believers indeed “bow down and worship” it, and “speak for or to” it, and “serve” it.

In His Teaching on the Mount, Yahowasha answers the question put to Him which essentially asks, “How should we pray, or perhaps better stated, “How should we talk to God?” As unreliable as the Greek texts and its subsequent translations and copyedits have proven to be, I’m one hundred percent certain He did not say, “I want you to fashion with the works of your hands an image or idol of my dead carcass, supersize it, hang it on a stick and bow down in worship to it.”
thanks 2 users thanked Glitch for this useful post.
PaulW53 on 2/27/2019(UTC), shamar emet on 3/1/2019(UTC)
Offline ken  
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 11, 2019 2:49:09 PM(UTC)
ken

The problom isint with "pesel." its this line- or any (kol) visual representation of something (tamunah – likeness, appearance, picture, drawing, painting, or form which depicts or resembles anything)

It seems to me we cant create any images at all
Offline James  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 29, 2019 3:11:41 PM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
I notice that looking at the Hebrew there is not a "wa" attached to either kol, or tamunah, so the inclusion of "or" is causing a seperation that should not be there. The lack of the seperating word which would render this a two item list means that what follows pesel is expounding upon it not seperate from it.

Keep in mind that Yahowah instructed them to create the ark of the covenant, which had visual carvings on it, and that he instructed Moshe to firey serpent and set it on a pole. So either Yahowah is contridicting, or this is speaking specifically of "pesel" idols used to represent false Gods.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
thanks 1 user thanked James for this useful post.
REPeet on 5/13/2021(UTC)