logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Yada  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 15, 2007 4:29:27 AM(UTC)
Yada

Just wondered how people were planning on handling Halloween? Especially for those with young children whose friends will be going out "trick-or-treating." Will you be handing out candy to those children that come to your door?

This brings up another question - what about Christmas. How does everyone feel about various events/family celebrations that they will be invited to? Are you planning on buying Christmas presents for others? Will you accept them?

I'd like to hear your thoughts,ideas, and suggestions.
If you'd like to join the YY Study Group room on Paltalk - just click here. The lockword is: yadayahweh
You can download the free software here.
Hope to see everyone on Paltalk!
WARNING: Do not give out personal information (name, address, etc.) to anyone on Paltalk - ever!
Offline Icy  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 15, 2007 5:56:34 AM(UTC)
Icy
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I don't give out candy on Halloween. I prefer not to support it. Unfortunatly, I have a wife who thinks it is cute to dress our daughter up in a costume. Last year we dressed her as a cow and went to something called "Trunk or Treat" it was basically a little carnival in a parking lot (they had the bouncy thing, games, food, a magician, etc) and people decorate there trunks and hand out candy. It is ceratinly safer than going house to house, and generally doesn't have any of the horror/gore themes (though there were one or two trunks that were that way). Last year it wasn't even on the 31st. I'm not sure if that counts as celebrating it or not. It certainly doesn't follow any of the old Samhein traditions or Catholic All Hallow's Eve traditions except for the part about wearing costumes. But, I don't think many of those people (certainly not my family) thanks that dressing up will hide us from the dead that walk on that day. So, if dressing up at any other time of the year is okay, then it should be at this time too. I think if none of the religious traditions are followed, and it is just clean fun, then it probably is okay. Though, I still would prefer not to have any part of it. We haven't gotten a costume for our daughter this year, so maybe we won't do it this time.

I am not looking forward to Christmas (though I never have, expect maybe when I was 5 and still believed in Santa Claus). This year my cousin is getting married Dec 28. So, we are traveling to be there for that. That also means that alot of family is gonig to be together on Dec 25, and that includes the uber religious old folks (my family has alot of them). So, I am actually dreading this year. I am going to have to face all of that, and am essentially alone. My wife is on board with me and understands some of what I have revealed to her, but she still wants to keep her traditions. Also, she is a big giver, which means she wants to give everyone a gift. She just has to "celebrate Yahushua's birthday, and we didn't do it on Tabernacles." Also, she would feel bad about accepting gifts without giving in return. So, unfortunantly, to appease my wife, we will probably buy gifts. Though, if we had gotten gifts at Tabernacles, then we wouldn't at Christmas. Even if I was not buying gifts though, I would still accpet them. When people give gifts they are (hopefully) giving it out of kindness and caring for you. So, accepting a gift in that respect I don't see as wrong. I do want to let people know my feelings about things though, and hopefully they will stop giving gifts associated with Christmas. Maybe I will get a chance to share some things with them. At least I know Yahuweh will be with me.
Offline Light1  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 15, 2007 6:33:40 AM(UTC)
Light1
Man

I've never really messed with Halloween myself, although I cruise the grocery stores the next day to scoop up marked down candy-BURP!

As for Christmas, my mother and I talked about it one time and while we realize the pagan origin, we felt there's plenty of secular meanings in terms of family coming together for a nice time so we have no problems exchanging presents and having a nice meal. However I don't bother going to the church services at that time and I pulled out the tree they gave me to put in my apartment when I moved there and threw it away earlier this year.
Offline Juski  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 15, 2007 11:57:32 AM(UTC)
Juski

We've neve done Haloween - to be honest it creeps me out!! We don't answer the door, and the kids have been told, its horrible and God doesnt like us celebrating witches and bad stuff! They are not fussed about it at all. :)

Christmas on the other hand is tough, we all used to love Christmas, now I'm not looking forward to it, We will be buying presents for people, because we love them and want to bless them. But the kids will get a bit less from us, seeing as they get tabernacles presents these days. I think for this year at least we are viewing it very much as non-spiritual time to be with family and give them some presents. We will try to avoid church but that could be difficult as we'll be with the in-laws for the week. Most of the population see it as meaningless, so we'll be joining them I guess. I hope in years to come to get rid of it altogether, but its really difficult, and no-one wants their kids to feel like they are missing out. Plus its down right impossible to ignore. Easter is easier, you dont get all the hype for 4 months before to deal with!

I guess for me its a matter of balance - the feasts will become gradually more important as we get used to them and these fun ol' pagan things will lose significance year by year. :)
Offline Matthew  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 31, 2007 9:33:39 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

My wife is a confessed atheist but I've managed to convince her that I will not accept any Christmas decorations in the house nor on the front door. Thankfully in Brazil you don't buy presents for the whole family, a few weeks before Christmas everyone picks a name from a hat and then just buys one present for that particular person. Cost-saving strategy! I'm still very hesitant to even buy a present and taking part as this can also be considered approving the event, or that's what I think.

When I was a young Christian, about 17 yrs old, I told my father outright that I won't join in for Christmas. I didn't really understand the exact pagan origin but I just said "It's pagan and has nothing to do with Jesus!" I think I might have been a little harsh, but I was less mature then. However, I always try keep the peace and focus on family, I stay around the family as much as possible but I do my best to stay away from the pagan practices.

Now what about eating the Christmas meals, can this be considered "food sacrificed (made in honour) to idols", in other words since Yahweh made everything we can enjoy having the respective meals with our families?

Unfortunately we don't home-school our kids and I read in their school books this morning that they were to bring costumes for the Halloween party at nursery, I conveniently didn't pack any. As I'm relatively new to understanding we must still keep Torah, coupled together a firm conviction that I must serve and love Yahweh with everything I have, I sincerely hope and pray that He gives me (all of us, for that matter) understanding in raising my (our) children in His ways, as well as bringing my wife (your partner) to the knowledge of Him. HalleluYah!
Offline CK  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 31, 2007 11:44:23 AM(UTC)
CK

Re. this more than pagan/devil worshipping/supposedly-all-saints' day, I have to go to 'church' this evening to help with the 'outreach' program that it holds each year. They call it 'Family Fun Night', and they think of it as an alternative to the pagan holiday. The community kids come decked out in their costumes that range from little devils to little princesses, with a generous smattering of vampires, etc. I'm the photographer (not professionally, just an assigned duty). I question my sanity in participating in this yearly event. Is this really outreach? Or is it compromise? Me thinks it's compromise. And it sickens me to my core. This is my last year doing it. The only reason I agreed again this year is because of the older woman who coordinates the function. She's a sweet ole' gal whose health isn't the best. I couldn't handle the plea in her voice, and I succumbed.

CK

Edit:

Me again. Sorry. I'm in a chatty mood today. Christmas is a whole differerent ball of wax. I'm in a little bit of a teezy (sp.) over this one. My husband and I can live without the artificial tree stuff. He wants the outside house lights. I can live with that. He has to come to terms with things his own way. And I love him. He was distantly raised in the Catholic faith (meaning his mother dragged him to church, but his dad stayed home). He never bought into it. He upon occassion attends services with me when something special is happening. (I attend a Free Methodist church. I stay because I sense Yah has work for me there. Seeding has already begun.) We live in a small community, and my husband knows a lot of folks, so it doesn't much bother him what 'church' people think of him. He believes in God, but religion is distasteful to him. He's patient about my current studies, and he listens with interest (most of the time). I pray for him alot, and I trust in the Father. But back to the Christimas thing. Truthfully? I'm doing a lot of praying on this one. I have people other than myself to think about, but Yahuweh must come first. CK

Edited by user Wednesday, October 31, 2007 1:10:31 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Jim  
#7 Posted : Thursday, November 1, 2007 1:27:50 PM(UTC)
Jim
Man

For Sheri and I, ditto Juski. Your post is word for word our family.
Jim

PS: Great thread, thanks guys!
Offline Matthew  
#8 Posted : Sunday, December 16, 2007 10:25:47 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

By telling my unbelieving wife that I don't want to partake in the Christmas festivities because of it's pagan origins, regardless of man's good intentions, has caused a straw on our marriage to be tugged so severely that it's balancing on the edge. Coupled with that is my wanting to keep the Sabbath rest, food laws, etc. I'm not going to get too personal but I have tried to do it as calmly as possible while trying to keep the peace. Through Luke 12:51-53 "Do you think I came to bring peace on earth? No, I tell you, but division. From now on there will be five in one family divided against each other, three against two and two against three. They will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law." her response is expected by my understanding of this verse. It's sad but in the end our relationship with Yahweh is what counts.

I prefer to be at home than be associated with the activities such as the giving-of-presents-under-the-Christmas-tree party and the Christmas Eve meal where it is celebrated with the Christmas party hat on. I don't feel comfortable even attending, i prefer to be away. I can't pretend to know Yahshua while giving presents to my children while knowing the origin of the festive day. I initially wanted to go to the party for to eat the food made in honour of the sun gods is not sinning, as idols are worthless, but at the same time i don't want to partake in the giving of gifts and somehow commend the event. The family is too large and too Catholic for me too attend without causing a problem. I already know that seeds have been sown, but whether it lands in good soil I can only hope.

I've always found Christmas to be a touchy issue, but if Yahweh wants us to lead set-apart lives then we should stay clear of paganism.

And me being relatively new to walking with Elohim is a shock to the family!
Offline shalom82  
#9 Posted : Sunday, December 16, 2007 1:24:54 PM(UTC)
shalom82

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
You are very brave Matthew to stand by your convictions. I don't say that lightly or without gravity. I know the strain it causes. By Yahuweh's blessing, I don't have to be as brave as you. My wife, being from China never had any attachments to Christian holidays and many of the old folk holidays have been forsaken. In that way I have been blessed, and she knows enough about Yahuweh and his scriptures to accept them enough to learn and give me a chance to talk with her and present the good news to her as best I can. My thoughts will be with you and I will be praying for you.

Still though I have seen the division in my family over these issues. My sisters and mother and father still are lost in Babylon. I can at least say that though they don't understand completely and some think that I am strange or a judaizer or whatever they for the most part ignore it and go and and we exist as a generally happy family. My Mother has in her...sadly what else can I call it....ignorance has tried to make me a fornicator. She says, "I can understand you wanting to get something of our heritage back (as if that's all it was), but why can't you celebrate these holidays you are talking about and Christmas and Easter?" I think some of my family members know or are beginning to know that I really am coming from somewhere. But alas, they don't care enough to come out of Babylon with me....hopefully...with Yahuweh's grace...I can say, yet.

I will be praying for you along with all of us who have had familial hardship because of our trust in the Word of Yahuweh.

You may lose family you may see division in your family, but for what it's worth, I am your brother...as is everyone (brothers and sisters) who have chosen to take this path side by side with their Elohim and Abba, Yahuweh.

Shalom Brother
YHWH's ordinances are true, and righteous altogether.
Offline Matthew  
#10 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2007 5:14:01 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Shalom82, thanks for your response. I find comfort in your encouragement.

It is a harsh situation having to contemplate leaving one's wife and children behind, especially when it's the unbelieving wife that wants out. 1 Corinthians 7:15-16 "And, if the unbelieving one separates, let him separate himself. A brother or sister is has not been enslaved in such matters. But Elohim has called us to peace. For how do you know, O wife, whether you shall save your husband? Or how do you know, O husband, whether you shall save your wife?"

But my fear of leaving is when reading 1 Corinthians 7:12-13 "To the rest I say, not the Master: If any brother has an unbelieving wife, and she thinks well to live with him, let him not send her away. And a woman who has an unbelieving, and he thinks well to live with her, let her not send him away. For the unbelieving husband has been set-apart in the wife, and the unbelieving wife has been set-apart in the husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but now they are set-apart." So what about my children, if they are not under my protection, living with me, are they still considered set-apart? Bearing in mind that if I do leave there's a good possibility I'll be moving to another country. And with it I'll be taking up the position of biological father, rather than being a father to my children. I'm hoping circumstances change and allow me to continue to stay on here and at least be close to my children, that's if the separation occurs.

My apologies for diverting from the Christmas post, but the festive season always seems to cause a little trouble. I guess this is what witnessing is all about. By our examples others will see the Truth and then begin to question their traditions.

I feel so much happier, and at peace, for not celebrating the event, and sad as well for seeing people hold on to it.
Offline Icy  
#11 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2007 5:30:34 AM(UTC)
Icy
Man

Matthew, you just quoted scripture that tells you to not bother contemplating leaving your wife. Now, if she wants to leave, then apparently she can do that, but I would urge you to fight for those children and not let her take them if she does decide to leave. As the head of the household, you are responsible for their spiritual upbringing. Are they going to know Yahuweh if your wife takes them and leaves you?
Offline Matthew  
#12 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2007 6:17:05 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Thanks Icy!

I only contemplate, because she wants out. By contemplate I mean I wonder what might happen if I did leave, you know, the whats, the wheres, the hows and the whens. I'm the one trying to hang on, not trying to leave, she's the one that wants me out.

My situation is this: If she decides to leave, it means that I must be the one to leave this apartment. This apartment belongs to her family and is rightly her inheritance.

To answer your question: No, she would teach them otherwise, that there is no God! And this is my main concern, alongside not living with the kids. Concerning custody: the law of this country is very much in favor of the mother, and they especially favor a native mother over a foreigner. And my immediate position doesn't allow for me to take care of the kids alone, so it's not looking good on that front.

Yahweh has been very good to me these past few weeks, since I've taken a more serious approach to my relationship with Him, especially through obedience to His Word. And I hope through His guidance and counsel He will give me wisdom and understanding and direct the situation.

Offline Rachael  
#13 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2007 7:50:40 AM(UTC)
Rachael

Matthew I have the same pains as you, my husband is not taking to my 'transformation' or 'brainwashing' as he calls it, too well at all. I am however praying for him and trying not to force anything of my beliefs on to him. I think that if i take the road of trying to be the best i can be, as an example, me may come around eventually.

Honestly I cannot see anything worth preserving more than the family. You can live a devout life with a disbeliever. Its just very hard to take ridicule from someone that is spose to love you. Thats my hardest challenge.

But i figured, that even if we broke up - being ridiculed is not going to stop ! so its a great training ground to become firm and strong in our faith, living with a non-believer. Continue to open all your problems up to Yahweh and ask him to guide her and no matter what, try to hold on to your children and family. It may seem nearly impossible now - but you never know what the next day will bring.
Offline Tiffany  
#14 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2007 9:51:59 AM(UTC)
Tiffany
Woman

Matthew,

Do not give up! Fight with everything you have in your spirit and soul to bring your wife with you. We are called to live in this world but not be of it, I know how difficult it may be to watch everyone celebrate when we know better but I find myself in the situation that my family is unwilling to listen to me.

I have taken the approach that I trust Yahweh to lead and guide my family to truth and until he does I will not say anything. I will be going home for Christmas and I will sit around the tree with my family and just pray for the opportunity to share the truth with them, but my family is far more important and although to some it looks like compromising I see it as gentle guiding. Because deep down they are not doing it to spit in the face of Yahweh but believe they are honoring Him. So I just ask Yahweh to give you peace and understanding and precise steps as you walk through this current challenge!

Blessings.
Offline gammafighter  
#15 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2007 4:52:01 PM(UTC)
gammafighter
Man

Matthew and Rachael, I'm praying for both of you. I may only be 19... and single, but YHWH's plans for marriage and family are very dear to me (maybe from watching too many disney movies?), so it breaks my heart to hear your situations. May YHWH's Will be done in both of your lives, brother and sister.
Offline kp  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2007 5:26:23 AM(UTC)
kp

My friends, let us not forget to consult the scriptures on this matter. The prophet Malachi says, "Yahweh has been witness between you and the wife of your youth, with whom you have dealt treacherously. Yet she is your companion and your wife by covenant. But did He not make them one, having a remnant of the Spirit? And why one? He seeks godly offspring. Therefore take heed to your spirit, and let none deal treacherously with the wife of his youth. For Yahweh, God of Israel, says that He hates divorce, for it covers one’s garment with violence, says Yahweh of hosts. Therefore take heed to your spirit, that you do not deal treacherously." (Malachi 2:14-16) He was writing from a husband's perspective, but the same things are true the other way around.

Paul advises, "Now to the married I command, yet not I but the Lord: A wife is not to depart from her husband. But even if she does depart, let her remain unmarried or be reconciled to her husband. And a husband is not to divorce his wife. But to the rest I, not the Lord, say: If any brother has a wife who does not believe, and she is willing to live with him, let him not divorce her. And a woman who has a husband who does not believe, if he is willing to live with her, let her not divorce him. For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband; otherwise your children would be unclean, but now they are holy. But if the unbeliever departs, let him depart; a brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases. But God has called us to peace. For how do you know, O wife, whether you will save your husband? Or how do you know, O husband, whether you will save your wife?" (I Corinthians 7:10-16)

It is abundantly clear that God hates divorce. He also knows that staying together is not always the believing spouse's call.

kp
Offline CK  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2007 6:47:29 PM(UTC)
CK

For those of us who are married to spouses who do not share our beliefs - be strong, persevere, be loving and kind. I know it can be difficult at times. No one can be forced to believe. And leaving one's spouse because they do not share our beliefs is really not an option, especially where children are involved. Thank you for sharing Scripture with us 'kp'. We need to be reminded of these things. We must examine our hearts. Yahuweh does.

Father, help us to be overcomers. Help us to be patient with unbelievers. Give us the right words. Break down the walls that cause separation. Draw our spouses to You. Draw our family and friends to You. Please call them, Father. Let them hear you. In Yahushua's Name, let it be so.

Shalom,
CK