logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline jojocc  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 3, 2007 9:19:40 AM(UTC)
jojocc

I was not sure where to put this, I hope this is the right place.

As some may have gathered, I live in Israel. What I have not mentioned is that I have only been here for the last six months. I am one of those awful imagrants who are taking away the land that rightfully belongs to the Palestinians - worse, I am Jewish by birth and now by adoption into the family of YHWH - ouch!

As an Olah Khadasha (gives away my gender if you know your Hebrew), I go to Ulpan (Hebrew) classes every morning. In my class at the moment I have come across an African American lady who married a Jewish gentleman and converted to Judaism. Having given my stock answer of believing in a Creator and being Jewish but not beleiving in Rabinical Authority, this lady informed me that I was 'open-minded' enough to tell about this wonderful book she carried around with her everywhere. Being the skeptic I am, I expected her to pull out a copy of "Who Moved My Cheese", but alas no. Her great saviour is a book called 'The 72 Names of God'.

Keeping in mind being as wise as serpents and gentle as doves, I gingerly turned the pages, I knew the book was not Muslim in character (although the obvious similarities were not lost on me) and read the introduction. I do not wish to come across as intolerant, but what a load of tripe.

I quote:

"What exactly are the 72 Names? According to Kabbalistic teachings, 72 unique combinations of Hebrew letters from Chapter 14 of the book of Exodus create a spiritual vibration that is a powerful antidote to the negative energy of the human ego. This revelation is a crucial step forward in the work of Kabbalistic masters over thousands of years."

Turning to the back of the book I look at all 72 names, (see link for all the names in Hebrew - I would be interested to know just how sedicious they are) and there is one glaring omission. 72 names and YHWH is nowhere to be found - imagine that!

The timing of this exchange is paramount, had this occured 4 months ago, I would not have known the importance of YHWH's name, and the importance attached to obscuring it.

This particular lady is a vegan, we had a conversation about the benefits of eating raw food (me being a big fan of carpaccio). I am all for not boiling my greens into extinction, but she was very excited about the teaching of Kabbalah that says it is better to eat LIVE food. Getting the life from your food. Thankfully at this piont the lesson started as I was on the verge of telling her she sounded like a bit of a sadist.

The next break we had, she again pulled out her book and told me about how these 72 names will give you everlasting life, and that Moishe (as in Moses from the Exodus Moishe) followed Kaballah and therefore did not die (was transliterated) - I too could do this if I read this book.

OK, so I know that we don't know where Moishe was burried, but in Deuteronomy 32:52, he is told that he will not enter the land of Israel and in Deut 34:5-7 his physical death (mowto) is described.

What amazes me is how willing people are to believe in what is obviously incorrect. If one is to believe in a line of thought that has its basis in a text, ie Judaism, Islam, Kaballah... ad infinitum, then surely one must make sure that any teachings hold to that text ie, the Tanakh/Qura'an. This negates the Talmud, Mishna, the Mormon Bible, the NIV ;-) and in the case of the Qura'an, negates the idea of a moderate Muslim!

All this ranting turns up one thing, at the risk of sounding arrogant and self-righteous, HOW CAN THEY BE SO BLIND?

Well, I know, many are called but few are chosen, Yehoshua is the narrow gate and not everyone is going to be saved - YHWH is in control, and my silly frustrations are just that, silly. What I can do is pistueo YHWH that he will help me be as wise as a serpent and gentle as a dove, lest his child is destroyed through lack of knowledge.

The gifts of the deceiver don't always come with tea-towels on their heads.
Offline Tiffany  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 3, 2007 10:11:44 AM(UTC)
Tiffany
Woman

Quote:
All this ranting turns up one thing, at the risk of sounding arrogant and self-righteous, HOW CAN THEY BE SO BLIND?

That is the exact same question I have been asking myself for a very long time. In fact I was just talking to my dad last night about it because we were watching something and I said that I was sorry for being so truthful, and he told me to never change. But for a long time I was just as blind so as easy as it is now for me to say it, I have to have a little grace.

I do however Jojocc have a one question for you, why do you spell the name of the Messiah as Yehoshua? Everything I have seen has it spelled Yahshua or Yahushua, reason being that that YAH of Yahweh and the YAH Yahshua are the same making the name be Yah's Salvation. What do you think??

Tiffany
Offline Icy  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 3, 2007 10:21:44 AM(UTC)
Icy
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Jojocc, I would say that you should confront this lady and show her the holes in what she is reading. At the very least though, you don't need to be listening to what she is saying. I had an audiobook one time that gave this wonderful metaphor of how Yahuweh (they didn't use the name) wanted to be close to us and get to know us, and described why he couldn't force us to love him. It actually would probably fit here, but the crux was that it was something to get a person interested in kabbalah. I don't know alot about it, but kabbalah is mysticism, and at higher levels, involves conjuring. They promote a message of altruism and that through altruism you advance through different "worlds" until you become one with god. I assume that those 72 names are the "worlds" because I seem to remember that there were alot of them, probably 72.
Offline jojocc  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 3, 2007 10:44:27 AM(UTC)
jojocc

Um, I think I write Yehoshua because that is the phonetic rendering of the Hebrew name ( a name which is ironically very popular in my family). I know that it means Yah is the salvation, which to me is the important bit. I think that perhaps Yehashua or Yahashua could be a more accurate rendidtion, but without the vowelling, I'm afraid for me it may well just be force of habit.

Icy - to set your mind at ease, at no point was I at all interested in Kaballah. In fact, as soon as I realised what it was it took all my self control not to laugh at the earnestness of this poor lady. I also took no prisoners when informing her that Moishe's physical body is dead as a doornail, YHWH has his own name, only one of them, and it has 4 characters in it - would you like me to write it down for you, and eating 'raw' is not the same as eating 'living'. Strangely enough, since that day she hasn't been back to Ulpan. Hope I didn't touch a nerve ;-l
Offline CK  
#5 Posted : Monday, December 3, 2007 1:30:07 PM(UTC)
CK

I read some where years ago that before, during or after the Spanish Inquisition kabbalah was hidden within tarrot cards, and that's how tarrot cards originated. I don't mention this to get into a conversation on the evilness of tarrot cards. I only mention it to draw a parallel on the evil of both.

And jojocc, I enjoy your discourse, as I do others on the YY Forum. I agree with Icy, gently confront this woman. She's walking in the dark. Shed a little light.

Praise Yah!
CK
Offline coleridge  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2007 9:02:57 PM(UTC)
coleridge

as always... i love it! i can't say that enough. jojo... trust me i've asked that same question a billion times. we are so engulfed in looking for some "deeper" truth, that we ignore the obvious. nevermind that it doesn't make any sense. it's god! and god doesn't have to make any sense! lol i'm almost crying as i type that. that's what religion has wrought in this world. a world that lacks logic. paul said it best i think. we exchanged the truth of Elohim for a lie. the father turned us over to our silly imaginations. in an imaginary world the sky can be purple and the grass magenta. it doesn't have to make any sense what so ever. many are called, few are chosen. most of us heard the call from God to come out of egypt. not everyone hears the call to come out of babylon. egypt serves as a metaphor of our slavery to sin. babylon is our lust for mystery, religion, sex, and power.... well in that respect they are very similar. but all of Y'israel came out of egypt. they stumbled, because babylon had no slave drivers...it didn't look like that slavery of old. we are blind because we choose to accept anything as truth, and because we fear any resemblance of an absolute truth. simply stated. if the scripture is true, then a lot of people are wrong... we can't say that. that's a hard pill to swallow, but let YHWH be true, and every man a liar! we have gotten to a point where we can say that anything is right or wrong because we are so far away from the truth that the Father gave us. so, God could have 72 names, i could recieve 72 virgins in heaven, there could be 72 worlds, or 33 degrees of manhood... whatever you say could be true. it's kinda like when you go to church and the preacher butchers some scripture, but somehow you still say it was a good sermon because he used some alliteration lol! like family, fun, faith, fasting, and feasting. that doesn't make anything he said remotely correct, but at least it was catchy.

i love you all
coleridge
let YHWH be true, and every man a liar
Offline jojocc  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, December 5, 2007 8:33:10 AM(UTC)
jojocc

Just realised I forgot to put in the link, http://www.prs.org/gallery-kabblh.htm

Please note that at no stage am I advocating Kaballah, I think it is horrid, but we are told it is important to know what nastiness looks like.
Offline coleridge  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, December 5, 2007 8:58:07 AM(UTC)
coleridge

wow i just went by that link.... very confusing. how are they ever supposed to get to know any god? i think it is a good look at what "vain reasoning" looks like
let YHWH be true, and every man a liar
Offline jojocc  
#9 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2007 3:23:33 AM(UTC)
jojocc

heh heh Swalchy, that's not very christian of you now, is it ;-)