logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Yada  
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 2, 2007 2:26:05 AM(UTC)
Yada

I was discussing the importance of numbers (6 plus 1, 40, 12, etc.) with a friend of mine earlier today and, as the conversation centered on the 5 books of the Torah, he asked me what the significance of "5" was - if any. I had no idea but promised that I would post the question here and get back to him.

I am hoping also that he will join the forum and contribute to this thread.

Thanks for your help.
If you'd like to join the YY Study Group room on Paltalk - just click here. The lockword is: yadayahweh
You can download the free software here.
Hope to see everyone on Paltalk!
WARNING: Do not give out personal information (name, address, etc.) to anyone on Paltalk - ever!
Offline Yada  
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 2, 2007 3:16:56 AM(UTC)
Yada

Thanks Swalchy - I went to the site you linked out to but it was beyond me. To help me understand this better, can you list each of the 7 books you referenced? It makes perfect sense that there would be 7 books, not 5.

Thanks for including the quotes and references from YY in your previous post - it really helped.

Edit:

I just found the information you referenced - very interesting. I tried to copy and paste it here for the benefit of others but couldn't. I had never heard this before - has anyone else?

Thanks again.

If you'd like to join the YY Study Group room on Paltalk - just click here. The lockword is: yadayahweh
You can download the free software here.
Hope to see everyone on Paltalk!
WARNING: Do not give out personal information (name, address, etc.) to anyone on Paltalk - ever!
Offline Icy  
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 2, 2007 1:42:09 PM(UTC)
Icy
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
With a little magic, here is the section from the above mentioned website, though without the pictures of the hebrew characters:

Quote:

The Inverted Nun and the Seven Books of Moses
The Torah includes a textual oddity that warrants a close look from believers in the Mashiach Yeshua. An inverted Nun (Nun Hafuchah) appears both before and after Numbers 10:35-36:

And whenever the ark set out, Moses said, "Arise, O LORD, and let your enemies be scattered, and let those who hate you flee before you." And when it rested, he said, "Return, O LORD, to the ten thousand thousands of Israel.” (Numbers 10:35-6)

In the Talmud (Shabbat 115b, 116a) it is stated that any part of the Torah with 85 or more letters is itself considered a “book,” and therefore, according to some of the Jewish sages, this passage of Scripture actually demarcates a separate book of the Torah! If so, instead of the five books of Moses, we would have seven:
1. Genesis
2. Exodus
3. Leviticus
4. Numbers (1:1-10:34)
5. Numbers (10:35-36)
6. Numbers (10:37-ff)
7. Deuteronomy

Before Moses would lead the Israelites to a new station in the wilderness, he would order the ark to be moved by the Levites and then would chant "Arise, O LORD, and let your enemies be scattered, and let those who hate you flee before you!" When the Shechinah rested, Moses would stop the procession of the camp and chant, "Return, O LORD, to the ten thousand thousands of Israel.”

However, on account of the “Sin of the Spies,” Israel was refused entry into the Promised Land, and the “story” of what follows after Numbers 10:35-36 - namely, the outbreak of fiery judgment and the subsequent exile - was sadly written as history instead. What should have been written is that the LORD (as symbolized by the presence of the ark) entered the land with the redeemed Israelites on account of their faith in His promises. According to these sages, this part of the Torah is “yet to be written” and will be altered when the Messiah comes.

From a Messianic perspective, it is fascinating to see that what immediately preceeds this “book” is the story of Jethro, Moses’ gentile father-in-law, who was offered to partake of the blessings of Israel. This is a perhaps a picture of the “Church age” - i.e., the time when God would offer His salvation to the nations of the world (as represented by Jethro) just before a time of purging of national Israel. In other words, we can read this parenthetical “book” as a time of special dispensation for the nations of the world to turn to the “Son of Life” and be saved.

Since I'm quoting, I didn't change his "O LORD"s or "Yeshua". I don't like that he uses the Talmud as a reference either, but the point he makes is pretty good, and it would make more sense to have 7 books.
Offline coleridge  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2007 10:06:08 AM(UTC)
coleridge

you guys are just the greatest... so helpful!
let YHWH be true, and every man a liar