logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Yada  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2007 5:14:57 AM(UTC)
Yada

I thought that I would pass along this link to start an extended discussion about "religion." During this debate entitled "Poison or Cure? Religious Belief in the Modern World," between Christopher Hitchens and Alister McGrath, Hitchens issues a challenge: "name an ethical statement made or action performed by a believer in faith that couldn't be made by an infidel and a wicked action only mandated by faith."

It seems that Mr. Hitchens has focused his disdain for religion - all religions, on God. It's a shame he hasn't read Yada Yahweh.

Hitchens does cite an interesting bit of trivia - that 50% of the SS were confessing Catholics and none were ever excommunicated - only Herr/Dr. Goebbels was and that was for marrying a Protestant.

I would love to hear your comments.

You can watch the video here.

Below is a description of the event:

Quote:
Poison or Cure? Religious Belief in the Modern World

A debate, dialogue, and discussion with Christopher Hitchens and Alister McGrath.

The Ethics and Public Policy Center and the Berkley Center for Religion, Peace, and World Affairs at Georgetown University host a debate between writer Christopher Hitchens and Oxford University professor Alister McGrath on the role of religious belief in the modern world.
If you'd like to join the YY Study Group room on Paltalk - just click here. The lockword is: yadayahweh
You can download the free software here.
Hope to see everyone on Paltalk!
WARNING: Do not give out personal information (name, address, etc.) to anyone on Paltalk - ever!
Offline James  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2007 6:18:35 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
Hitchens has a tendancy to conflate God and religion. He doesn't seem to understand the difference between someone doing evil in God's name, and God. If I were to go out and kill some one in the name of Christopher Hitchens would he condemn himself?
yada wrote:
Hitchens does cite an interesting bit of trivia - that 50% of the SS were confessing Catholics and none were ever excommunicated - only Herr/Dr. Goebbels was and that was for marrying a Protestant.

I think that is a great condemnation of the RCC. I'll have to remeber that when talking with my family. But some one should point out to Hitchens, that regardless of what the Pope may say the Catholic church does not, has not, and never will represent God, at least not the true creator God of the universe, and the God they do represent, well Hitchens is right on about that God he is as bad or acctully worse than Hitchens thinks.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline coleridge  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 3, 2007 1:57:09 PM(UTC)
coleridge

just so that it is known... the rcc supported the ss movement. catholicism is probably the most anti-semetic organization of all times. lest we forget, it's founder emporer constantine, did his very best to get rid of every trace of hebrew customs and verbage in the scripture....even to the point of executing those in opposition
let YHWH be true, and every man a liar