logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Perwee  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 7, 2014 7:22:29 AM(UTC)
Perwee
Man

I have come across an interesting discovery:
The name of Joshua is spelled in the MT as Yahowsha. Due to the kibutz under the shin, Hebrews would pronounce it 'Yahowshua', which is not important because we know the Masoretes omitted and moved the 'wah' the 'yod' and even the 'hey' as it suited them.

Looking at the DSS:
The name Yahowsha appears 150 times in the book 'Joshua'. But in the DSS the name is spelled Yahowshua.

We find the same name in ZacharYah 6 times spelled as yod-hey-wah-shin-ayin in the MT, but in the DSS - 4Q80, the name is spelled Yahshua yod-hey-shin-wah-ayin.

So the DSS differs in the spelling - Yahushua in Joshua and Yahshua in ZacharYah.

We know that ZacharYah pointed out that Yah's Servant, the Branch will wear the golden crown and His name (according to the DSS) is Yahshua.
Offline Perwee  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 10, 2014 10:10:54 PM(UTC)
Perwee
Man

Yada states that the spelling Yahowsha yod,hey,wah,shin,ayin appears 218 times in the hebrew text. That is not the case if we accept the DSS as more authorative than the MT. Can someone comment on this?
Offline James  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 11, 2014 3:29:02 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
Sorry, but what you are talking about takes a lot of time to check, and not everyone has the free time or the tools at hand to do it. Based on what I have been able to see so far it seems that in the DSS Yahowsha, Yahowshowa, Yahshowah and Yahsha are used interchangeably, I don't have a number for each yet, and have not cross referenced each with the corresponding verse in the MT, don't know when I will have the time to do so.

It also appears that not only are they interchangeable in the manuscripts but that in some verse one manuscript has it one way and the other the other way. For example 4Q11 has Exodus 17:9 using Yod Hey Waw Shin Aiyn and 4Q22 has Exodus 17:9 using Yod Hey Shin Waw Aiyn and 4Q14 has Exodus 17:13 using Yod Hey Waw Shin Aiyn while 4Q22 uses Yod Hey Shin Waw Aiyn.

If you look at 4Q47 Joshua a you will find 4 different forms of the word used to convey the name of the same person.

All the extant verses of Zechariah do you the Yod Hey Shin Waw Aiyn form of the word.

According to what I have found the Yod Hey Waw Shin Waw Aiyn form is the lemma, or dictionary form of the word.

So Yada's 218 number does appear to be off once you factor in the DSS.

If I had to guess Yada did a word search in Logos which showed that of the 219 times Joshua is written out, 218 time it is Yahowsha. I would recommend that you email him at email@yadayahweh.com and point this out so he can check it out and correct it if he is wrong.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline Perwee  
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 16, 2014 1:19:42 AM(UTC)
Perwee
Man

Thank you James.
I also do not have the computer tools to look up all the cases. I had to find it on web pages.
Thanks for answering my post.
Offline Perwee  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2014 8:01:38 PM(UTC)
Perwee
Man

Apparently the DSSB supports the spelling 'Yahowsha'.
The transcription of 4Q47 Joshua show 'Yahowshua' in Jos 6:8, 7:16, 8:35 18:9,10 and 10:4,9
The transcription of 4Q80 Zakaryah show 'Yahshua' in Zch 3:3,6,8,9

The meanings of 'shua' and (ya)sha bring me to the conclusion that 'Yahowsha' is totally acceptable and the closest to the intention of the meaning - YHWH saves