logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Eve
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Hermine Dow  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 1, 2014 9:13:45 AM(UTC)
Hermine Dow

I understand that Eve is the Strong's H-2332, hawwa - life or the G-2097 Heua - life

Where in the world did Eve come from? doesn't sound anything like hawwa or Heua.
Offline James  
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 1, 2014 10:36:20 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
Eve is the name of a pagan goddess, and so to help win over the pagans the church changed her name. There is no linguistic basis for the name change, it is an out right and known lie.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline Hermine Dow  
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 1, 2014 11:25:51 AM(UTC)
Hermine Dow

wow! I'm not familiar with a pagan goddess names Eve...can you refer me to anything to confirm this?
Offline James  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 3, 2014 3:50:09 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Read The Two Babylons by Alexander Hislop or Come Out Of Her My People by CJ Koster. They both do an excellent job of showing the pagan roots of much of Christianity. I'm not sure which, if either, covers Eve. If memory serves Eve is derived through linguistic shifts from Asherah.

Offline Mike  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 3, 2014 6:37:48 AM(UTC)
Mike

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Gen 3:20 And the man called his wife’s name Ḥawwah, because she became the mother of all living.

H2332
חוּה
chavvâh
BDB Definition:
Eve = “life” or “living”
1) the first woman, wife of Adam
Part of Speech: noun proper feminine
A Related Word by BDB/Strong’s Number: causatively from H2331

H2332
חוּה
chavvâh
khav-vaw'
Causative from H2331; lifegiver; Chavvah (or Eve), the first woman: - Eve.

Gen 3:20 καιG2532 CONJ εκαλεσενG2564 V-AAI-3S αδαμG76 N-PRI τοG3588 T-ASN ονομαG3686 N-ASN τηςG3588 T-GSF γυναικοςG1135 N-GSF αυτουG846 D-GSM ζωηG2222 N-NSF οτιG3754 CONJ αυτηG3778 D-NSF μητηρG3384 N-NSF παντωνG3956 A-GPM τωνG3588 T-GPM ζωντωνG2198 V-PAPGP

In the Greek Septuagint, Chawah is called Zoe meaning life. This is a translation not a transliteration.

G2222
ζωή
zōē
Thayer Definition:
1) life
1a) the state of one who is possessed of vitality or is animate
1b) every living soul
2) life
2a) of the absolute fulness of life, both essential and ethical, which belongs to God, and through him both to the hypostatic “logos” and to Christ in whom the “logos” put on human nature
2b) life real and genuine, a life active and vigorous, devoted to God, blessed, in the portion even in this world of those who put their trust in Christ, but after the resurrection to be consummated by new accessions (among them a more perfect body), and to last for ever.
Part of Speech: noun feminine
A Related Word by Thayer’s/Strong’s Number: from G2198

In the Latin Vulgate Chawah is called Hava which is a reasonable transliteration.

Gen 3:20 et vocavit Adam nomen uxoris suae Hava eo quod mater esset cunctorum viventium

In the English Geneva Bible (the Bible that the Pilgrims used that was published 51 years before the KJV). Chawah is called Heuah which is also a reasonable transliteration.

Gen 3:20 (And the man called his wiues name Heuah, because she was the mother of all liuing)

So where does Eve come from? Eve was first used in the English King James Version (KJV).

Gen 3:20 And Adam called his wife's name Eve; because she was the mother of all living.

So I would guess that Eve is from the Druid, Gaelic, or Celtic religions. Here are a couple possibilities. Also interesting, Eve (eve or evening) means sunset.

Aveta
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Aveta, or a similar mother goddess, as depicted on terracotta statuettes among the Treveri. (Replica)
In Gallo-Roman religion, Dea Aveta was a mother goddess, also associated with the fresh-water spring at Trier in what is now Germany.[1] Aveta is known mainly from clay figurines found at Toulon-sur-Allier in France[2] and at Trier. These figurines show the goddess with infants at the breast, small lap-dogs, or baskets of fruit.[1] There was a temple dedicated to Aveta in the Altbachtal complex at Trier.[3] Her name is also known from inscriptions found in Switzerland, and the Côte-d'Or (France).[4]

I would read the following site with a grain of salt but a possibility for the origin of the name Eve.

http://theawakenedstate....s-the-goddess-of-avebury

Eve, the Mother Goddess, the Goddess of Avebury
Avebury, the ancient stone circle in Wiltshire, was built around 2000BCE. It was originally called Evebury, the place of Eve, the snake Goddess. It later developed into Aubury which means ‘Serpent Sun’, and from there ‘Avebury’…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avebury

Avebury (/ˈeɪvbri/) is a Neolithic henge monument containing three stone circles, around the village of Avebury in Wiltshire, in southwest England. Unique amongst megalithic monuments, Avebury contains the largest stone circle in Europe, and is one of the best known prehistoric sites in Britain. It is both a tourist attraction and a place of religious importance to contemporary Pagans.
Constructed around 2600 BCE,[1] during the Neolithic, or 'New Stone Age', the monument comprises a large henge (that is a bank and a ditch) with a large outer stone circle and two separate smaller stone circles situated inside the centre of the monument. Its original purpose is unknown, although archaeologists believe that it was most likely used for some form of ritual or ceremony. The Avebury monument was a part of a larger prehistoric landscape containing several older monuments nearby, including West Kennet Long Barrow and Silbury Hill.

From Fossilized Customs:
(There is no one named “Eve” in the Hebrew; this
name was embraced to appease pagans because
one of the names for their Earth Mother was “Eve”
The name Chuwah is derived from the Hebrew word
chai, meaning “life” ~ thus her name means mother
of the living. The ending –ah renders it feminine,
similar to the ending in Sarah. Sar means prince, or
ruler; Sarah means princess).

The following is from The Two Babylons by Alexander Hislop:

Circle:
(Or disk) A well known symbol in the East of the Sun-divinity. Also, of Pagan Rome. Apollo, as child of sun was often represented thus; goddesses that claimed kinship to the sun; etc.... Called nimbus, or aureola. "The luminous fluid which encircles the heads of the gods", came to symbolize "the seed" born again.

I can’t find a definition of Eve in The Two Babylons.

One thing is for sure Eve is not a transliteration of Chawa!

Shalom
Offline James  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 3, 2014 9:55:45 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Wow, thanks Mike, much more information than I was able to pull of the top of my head.

Offline InHisName  
#7 Posted : Monday, February 3, 2014 12:25:11 PM(UTC)
InHisName

Was thanked: 71 time(s) in 46 post(s)
Mike wrote:

Eve, the Mother Goddess, the Goddess of Avebury
Avebury, the ancient stone circle in Wiltshire, was built around 2000BCE. It was originally called Evebury, the place of Eve, the snake Goddess. It later developed into Aubury which means ‘Serpent Sun’, and from there ‘Avebury’…

Eve, the snake goddess..... Isn't it just amazing how everything gets twisted.

Offline James  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, February 4, 2014 3:04:07 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Given human nature, what's truly amazing is that anything remains that isn't twisted.

Offline Perwee  
#9 Posted : Friday, February 7, 2014 6:09:22 AM(UTC)
Perwee
Man

Chet-wah-hey Yada writes it as 'chawah'. There is no 'v' sound in it. Another way of transliterating it would be 'Chuah'.
The chet is a guttural sound like the German 'nacht'.
Offline Gaijin94  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, September 4, 2019 12:18:10 AM(UTC)
Gaijin94

Actually, if you look at the 1560 Geneva Bible, the first ever English version of the old trstament directly translated from the Hebrew old testament texts it uses the work “Heuah”. To those familiar with old English, ghe usage if ‘u’ and ‘v’ are the reverse of modern day English. So Heuah is actually pronounced ‘Hevah’. which when putinto modern English becomes ‘Eva’ or ‘Eve’.
No, its not pagan.RollEyes
Offline Gaijin94  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, September 4, 2019 5:09:04 AM(UTC)
Gaijin94

translated directly from the old testament hebrew text, the same is Heuah in old English. in Modern day English this is Hevah. hence, the English rendition became Eva or Eve.
Offline James  
#12 Posted : Thursday, September 5, 2019 7:56:26 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Originally Posted by: Gaijin94 Go to Quoted Post
translated directly from the old testament hebrew text, the same is Heuah in old English. in Modern day English this is Hevah. hence, the English rendition became Eva or Eve.

That is not how translations work. You transliterate the name into the new language, Chawah is the name, so if I am translating it into English I would transliterate it Chawah, and how someone else translated it hundreds of years ago has nothing to do with what I should do today. Tradition for traditions sake is the excuse every English translation uses for replacing Yahowah one and only name with the title LORD. It is no less a valid reason for Eve than it is a valid reason for LORD. WOrds get translated, names get transliterated, that is the hard and fast rule of translating. Osama Bin Laden is Osama Bin Laden if I am speaking Spanish, English, French or Arabic, it does not change.