logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Hermine Dow  
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 21, 2013 9:45:41 AM(UTC)
Hermine Dow

Intro to God -3-1 p. 111

"Yahowsha' never spoke so much as a single Greek word. He communicated exclusively in Aramaic and Hebrew."

I tend to agree with this, but you say it so authoritatively! How do you KNOW he couldn't/wouldn't speak any Greek?
Offline James  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 23, 2013 6:00:31 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
We have no evidence to suggest that He spoke Greek, and the majority of the people in the region in which He was that He was speaking to would not have spoke Greek. He was speaking almost exclusively to Jews in the region, most of whom would have understood Aramaic, and Hebrew but not Greek. Also given the fact that the Greek language is so full of terms derived from pagan gods I find it hard to believe that He would use it. But to be fair a more accurate statement is that we have no record of Yahowsha ever speaking so much as a single Greek word.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline Hermine Dow  
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 28, 2013 9:55:04 AM(UTC)
Hermine Dow

Along the same lines...the Greek Septuagint was around...do you think it would have been in use in the Judean/Galilean synagogues or the Temple in Jerusalem? I doubt it! Do you think it was used in the greek speaking synagogues of the dispersion? or do you think Hebrew was still taught/read from in the synagogues of the dispersion?
Offline James  
#4 Posted : Sunday, December 29, 2013 7:14:34 AM(UTC)
James
Man

The evidence seems to suggest that the Jews, at lest racial Jews, have clung to the Hebrew language for the Towrah. Even to this day most racial Jews will read the Towrah in Hebrew, and most synagogues will do readings in Hebrew, even if they translate it as well. From what I understand of the 1st century in Judea, based on the archaeological evidence, and other writings of the time the language spoken by most all Jews in that region was Aramaic, or Hebrew, and while the Towrah had been translated into Greek, i.e. the Septuagint, that was not used in the Judea region.

Offline Hermine Dow  
#5 Posted : Saturday, January 11, 2014 4:20:00 AM(UTC)
Hermine Dow

Is there evidence, one way or the other, that the Septuagint was used in the synagogues of the dispersion....or the Hebrew?
Offline James  
#6 Posted : Saturday, January 11, 2014 8:51:02 AM(UTC)
James
Man

some manuscripts of the septuigent were found among the DSS, but a very small amount compared to the Hebrew manuscripts found. From my understanding, limited, it was used in other parts of the world where Jews had assimilated to the culture and language where they lived.