logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline shalom82  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2007 7:32:25 PM(UTC)
shalom82

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
This is a joke that I heard a while ago and it rings truer and truer in it's retelling. I think the attitudes evidenced in this joke are are endemic of what religion and the religious spirit does to people.

There were four rabbis (insert clergy of choice) that got together once a week to discuss and debate issues pertaining to the scriptures. As was the usual case three would reach a consensus and the one would be the odd man out as the only dissenter.
One one particular occasion during an unusually heated debate the three once again ganged up on the poor lonely rabbi. In exasperation the rabbi flung his hands to the air, "Oh, Hashem, my Elohim, in my heart of hearts I know I am right on this issue, if only you could give these wayward rabbis a sign...a wonder that would show them that I am right."
All of the sudden dark clouds gathered on a sunny day. The Rabbi who had just appealed to God crossed his arms with a very satisfied look on his face.
The other rabbis replied:
"It's just weather."
"I am pretty sure that I read in the Newspaper there would be rain today."
"The next thing you'll claim is that if we see a man in a black suit walk past this window, that is also a sign from Adonai!"
So the Poor beleaguered rabbi once again called on his creator.
My God, My Elohim, these rabbis whom I have the sorry displeasure to keep as company are stubborn men, you should only know. If you could give them a bigger...better sign, I wouldn't so much mind it."
All of the sudden the sky turned an even blacker shade. There was a lone tree on a hilltop that the clouds congregated on, and all of the sudden there was a flash of lightening that split the tree in two. It was followed by an angry crack of thunder.
The poor lonely rabbi (now with a smug smile) asked,"What do you think about that?"
The gang of skeptics nearly unshaken replied,
"Oh, poor Avner, he must rely on what happens naturally to justify his ridiculous claims."
"Lightening hit the schul the other day, are you going to claim that was a sign too?"
"This is weather, Avner, nothing more nothing less!"
The Rabbi, Avner, now in a state of complete consternation and desperation, fell to his knees and once more threw his hands to the heavens...."Oh, LORD........"
Before he could even finish the sky turned black as night and the clouds gave way only a little to shine the rays of the sun into the window of the study. There was a booming voice from heaven, "HHHEEEEEEEEEE'SSSSSSSSS RRRRIIIIGGGGHHHHTTTT!!!!!"
The gang of Rabbis were now more than a little distraught, but within a few seconds the eldest of the 3 regained his composure, and replied, "So? Now it's 3 to 2..."

YHWH's ordinances are true, and righteous altogether.
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 22, 2007 2:41:05 AM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
hehe awesomeness :D
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...