logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline dajstill  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 31, 2013 1:47:10 AM(UTC)
dajstill

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I thought this would be a neat thread for people to discuss what sorts of hand's on things they do with their children to help them understand the feasts. This is a big issue for me because I reside in the "bible belt" so pagan-Christian practices are rampant and in order to not even be swayed in the least for those customs, I try to make the Feasts as real and enjoyable for my kids as they are for me. They may not be fully ready to truly understand the nuance that Yahowah spoke through the Feast, but they can understand some simple principles:

1. Yahowah loves to meet with His children and have a party!
2. Each Feast means something important.
3. No matter what, show up - its a party!

Here are some neat activities we have come up with thus far:

Passover

Making lamb crafts. While making the crafts (doing this with cotton balls is fun) we can talk about things like why would Yahowah choose a lamb to represent the Massayah. I also make sure to point at that since the children of Israel were farmers, they new there was no such thing as an "unblemished lamb" and that what they were doing represented the coming of the Massayah.

Unleavened Bread

We make matzah. James posted a really good recipe from someone in resources that is really easy to use. The hardest part is letting the dough rest for 1 - 2 hours.
We read labels and discuss just how much leaven is in everyday things, especially commercially purchased foods. We especially discuss when we find leaven unexpectedly (I found leaven in a seasoning blend). This represents religion to us (commercially available experiences with God) and that to ensure you don't consumer "bad' things, it is best to "cook" for yourself.
One really neat thing that we found this year was with an organic children's pretzel that we buy, it didn't have leaven. However, all the non-organic pretzels did have leaven - there was another message on religion.
Of course, we all made mistakes and purchased or ate something we didn't realize have leaven at first. Again, we pointed out how hard it is to not consume leaven when you live in a leaven filled environment. However, Yahowah is merciful and just and understands our limitations. However, we continue to try and make sure to add those things on the list for next year.

First Fruits

We make a large food donation to a needy family. This is actually fun because we get to talk about First Fruits as we gather the food donation.

We start our seeds for our garden. The children have their own little garden and they get to decide what is planted. We talk about how we have to nourish the garden, tend it, keep it weeded and how wonderful it is when the first crops are ready to harvest. This is how Yahowah felt when His first harvest came home!

Seven Sevens

Baking bread! Okay, unleavened bread is hard because we are a bread loving family! Being able to make all types of leavened bread is wonderful. This year I think we are going to make breads from various cultures around the world to represent the concept of the mixed multitude that left Egypt and that all are welcome to Yahowah. So, in addition to Challah we will probably do things like Indian naan bread, Caribbean zucchini bread, and even Belgium waffles for breakfast. We will talk about how all of our flaws are covered by the Ruach Qodesh and that while each culture may use a different type of leaven and in different amounts - we all have leaven and need to be covered by Her.

Trumpets

Making a shofar. There are lots of different ways to make them (with paper, cardboard, etc.) and we will have a competition to see which one blows best.

Making ram crafts and talk about why the ram's horn may have been chosen and that the ram represents.

We will talk about what is supposed to happen in the future on Trumpets and waiting in anticipation.

Reconciliations

Family Reunion time - we talk about being reconciled with our Spiritual Father and Mother.

A list of questions, my kids have LOTS of questions for Yahowah. I am going to have them each make a special box for note cards. On the cards we will write out all of their questions they have for Yahowah and will be asking Him at Reconciliations. I too will be writing my questions (because you guys know I am hooked on theoretical physics at this moment, lots of questions there!)

Sukkot
The only thing more fun than a party is a 7 day party! We have a family tent (since we are not campers, this is technically our Sukkot tent). As they kids get older we may let them build a structure with my husband. For now, we use our tent. The children enjoy bringing toys and games inside.

The "what it might be like" game. We like to talk about what it might be like during that 1,000 years. I love the ideas of children and it is fun. At the same time, I try to make sure we balance with the "here and now" and not forget about the beauty Yahowah has allowed us to experience right now. So, I try to lead with things like "I think flowers are so beautiful now, I wonder what they would be like during that time".

Would love for others to add to the list!
Offline Anne  
#2 Posted : Sunday, March 31, 2013 3:29:26 AM(UTC)
Anne

Thank you, Dajstill for these wonderful suggestions for celebrating Yah's feasts with children. I only wish I had known Yah when my children were young!
Offline knowing1  
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 31, 2013 2:09:54 PM(UTC)
knowing1

Dajstill, you are doing wonderful things!! Especially for the little ones!! I like your take on the leavening and how it is so difficult to rid oneself of it in this corrupt world!!

I pretty much have totally given up on those family and friends that have no hope, that do not respond in a productive, rational and reasonable way. For example, I enlightened family and friends last week during our annual "Seder". We discussed the true meaning of the Pesach sacrifice, Matzah and FF. All fell on deaf ears as they proceeded to FB each other a "Happy Easter"!! Including the "Jews"!! I just don't get it anymore...Truly lost souls!!

I am concentrating my efforts on my wife and children. They ask questions, I respond, reading scripture to get the point across (I hope).

Keep up Yah's work everyone!!