logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Heretic Steve  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 6, 2007 10:21:13 AM(UTC)
Heretic Steve

Yahshua entered Jerusalem riding a donkey with a colt under it. I assume the colt was nursing or perhaps weaned yet not quite mature enough to leave the protection of it's mother.
Since I believe that nothing in script is arbitrary and everything is mentioned for a reason, why a nursing donkey? For that matter, why a donkey as a mode of transportation and not on foot? Or an oxcart? Camel? Horse?
Yes, I'm aware the donkey was used to fulfull prophecy. But why was the donkey/colt selected in the first place? I'm under the impression that there's a message there someplace, particularly since the donkey had a colt under it.
Any thoughts/ideas?
If not us, who? If not now, when?
Offline James  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 7, 2007 6:03:05 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
The donkey is most notable as a beast of burdon, so perhaps that is a metaphor for Yahushua, and the nursing colt, a metaphor for us. "weaned yet not quite mature enough to leave the protection of it's mother."

Edited by user Wednesday, November 7, 2007 7:50:47 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline James  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 7, 2007 10:23:27 AM(UTC)
James
Man

never herd that donkeys were a sign of peace before. I can understand the horse and war somewhat, but why not a camel then. Besides, riding a horse does not signal intent to conquer I'm sure people cam in to Jerusalem all the time on a horse, and not to conquer.

Offline CK  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 7, 2007 8:08:55 PM(UTC)
CK

Yes, in deed, the donkey is a sign of peace. Let me restate that: Actually a king riding on a donkey is a sign that the king comes in peace. The donkey in and of its little ole self isn't the sign. :-) There are references to kings riding donkeys here and there in the OC. And if memory serves me correctly, Yahushua was riding the colt of the donkey. What do you suppose the significance of that would be? Inquiring minds want to know. I'll have to investigate! :-)

CK
Offline kp  
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 8, 2007 5:36:30 AM(UTC)
kp

Forget "christian" tradition. It leads nowhere. We need to go back to the Torah. As I noted in The Owner's Manual, Mitzvah #369,

Quote:
“You shall set apart to Yahweh all that open the womb, that is, every firstborn that comes from an animal which you have; the males shall be Yahweh’s. But every firstborn of a donkey you shall redeem with a lamb; and if you will not redeem it, then you shall break its neck.” (Exodus 13:12-13) A donkey was a ceremonially “unclean” animal. A firstborn male donkey, being useful as a beast of burden, was allowed to be redeemed instead of being sacrificed and eaten as a clean animal would have been. The animal specified to take his place? A lamb. Yahweh’s point is that the price of redemption must be innocent, clean, perfect. Sacrificing a clean lamb in place of an unclean donkey is a perfect picture of what Yahshua did for us on Calvary.

Yahshua's choice of a donkey reminds of four things: (1) the firstborn was set-apart to Yahweh; (2) donkeys, though useful, are unclean animals---a trait they share with men; (3) in place of the sacrifice of the unclean donkey, it was legal under the Torah to substitute a clean, innocent lamb; and (4) if the donkey was not redeemed with the lamb, it would itself be sacrificed. The whole thing is a picture, not of the Messiah coming in peace, but of Him coming as the Lamb of God in order to redeem our unclean asses, so to speak. The Torah is an exquisitely precise and detailed revelation of Yahweh's plan for our salvation, and this incident is one of many stunning fulfillments that were accomplished in the earthly life of Yahshua.

kp
Offline James  
#6 Posted : Thursday, November 8, 2007 6:19:46 AM(UTC)
James
Man

kp wrote:
The whole thing is a picture, not of the Messiah coming in peace, but of Him coming as the Lamb of God in order to redeem our unclean asses, so to speak.

Nice pun KP.

I wish I had your way with metaphors. I was never very good a decerning them in school. I get them when their pointed out, but I have trouble seeing them myself. Happy to say I'm getting better.