logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline RobWells  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 6, 2012 5:00:14 AM(UTC)
RobWells

Why is the word para/klhtov shown as Noun Masculine in John 14:16? It doesn't make sense when it's the opposite everywhere else. Thanks for your help?
Offline FredSnell  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 7, 2012 2:13:46 AM(UTC)
FredSnell

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
^
Hey Rob,
I really don't know, but in YahshaYahu /Isaiah 46:9-10 we are told by God Himself to: remember the former things of old, that He, declares the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done; which means the past will show the future.

Offline Richard  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 7, 2012 8:02:31 AM(UTC)
Richard
Man
United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
For all things Greek you might find it useful to visit Swalchy's site here. You might also want to bear in mind that there are so many tens of thousands of discrepencies known to exist in all the post tanak writings that whatever you're reading is unreliable to begin with. Christians over the centuries have taken [so many] unbridled liberties in translating and copying the originals and their copies that what we have now is a jumbled collection of call-it-what-you-will.

Edited by user Wednesday, August 8, 2012 3:08:07 AM(UTC)  | Reason: added words in brackets

Offline Mike  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 7, 2012 12:42:38 PM(UTC)
Mike

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Rob Wells,
Welcome to the forum. I don’t completely understand your question. G3875 is always a masculine noun. It is used 4 times in Yahuchanon (John) and once in 1st Yahuchanon.

If the question is why isn’t G3875 a feminine noun to match Ruach ha Kodesh which is feminine then my answer would be that I don’t pay close attention to the Greek masculine, feminine, neuter because the Greek text is a translation of the original Hebrew. But I sure pay close attention to masculine vs. feminine in Hebrew in the Torah and Tanak because I can learn a whole lot from that.

Joh 14:16 “And I shall ask the Father, and He shall give you another Helper (G3875), to stay with you forever –

G3875
παράκλητος
paraklētos
Thayer Definition:
1) summoned, called to one’s side, especially called to one’s aid
1a) one who pleads another’s cause before a judge, a pleader, counsel for defense, legal assistant, an advocate
1b) one who pleads another’s cause with one, an intercessor
1b1) of Christ in his exaltation at God’s right hand, pleading with God the Father for the pardon of our sins
1c) in the widest sense, a helper, succourer, aider, assistant
1c1) of the Holy Spirit destined to take the place of Christ with the apostles (after his ascension to the Father), to lead them to a deeper knowledge of the gospel truth, and give them divine strength needed to enable them to undergo trials and persecutions on behalf of the divine kingdom
Part of Speech: noun masculine
A Related Word by Thayer’s/Strong’s Number: a root word
Citing in TDNT: 5:800, 782

http://codexsinaiticus.o...;zoomSlider=0#36-14-13-1

The parakletos is in reference to the Set-apart Spirit (Ruach ha Kodesh)

Joh 14:26 “But the Helper (G3875), the Set-apart Spirit, whom the Father shall send in My Name, He shall teach you all, and remind you of all that I said to you.

Swalchy’s translation:
http://www.thewaytoyahuw...on1/yahuchanon#chapter14

Shalom