logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline JamesH  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2012 6:53:57 AM(UTC)
JamesH

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Lent

"Whence, then, came this observance? The forty days abstinence of Lent was directly borrowed from the worshippers of the Babylonian goddess [Astarte / Ishtar]. Such a Lent of forty days, 'in the spring of the year,' is still observed by the Yezidis or Pagan Devil-worshippers of Koordistan, who have inherited it from their early masters, the Babylonians.

"Such a Lent of forty days was held in spring by the Pagan Mexicans, for thus we read in Humboldt, where he gives account of Mexican observances: 'Three days after the vernal equinox .... began a solemn fast of forty days in the honour of the sun.'

"Such a Lent of forty days was observed in Egypt, as may be seen on consulting Wilkinson's Egyptians.

"Among the Pagans this Lent seems to have been an indispensible preliminary to the great annual festival in commemoration of the death and resurrection of Tammuz, which was celebrated by alternate weeping and rejoicing, and which, in many countries, was considerably later than the Christian festival, being observed in Palestine and Assyria in June, therefore called the 'month of Tammuz;' in Egypt, about the middle of May, and in Britain, some time in April. To conciliate the Pagans to nominal Christianity, Rome, pursuing its usual policy, took measures to get the Christian and Pagan festivals amalgamated, and, by a complicated but skillful adjustment of the calendar, it was found no difficult matter, in general, to get Paganism and Christianity -- now far sunk in idolatry -- in this as in so many other things, to shake hands.

"Originally, even in Rome, Lent, with the preceding revelries of the Carnival, was entirely unknown; and even when fasting before the Christian Pasch was held to be necessary, it was by slow steps that, in this respect, it came to conform with the ritual of Paganism. What may have been the period of fasting in the Roman Church before the sitting of the Nicene Council does not very clearly appear, but for a considerable period after that Council, we have distinct evidence that it did not exceed three weeks. The words of Socrates, writing on this very subject, about A.D. 450, are these: 'Those who inhabit the princely city of Rome fast together before Easter three weeks, excepting the Saturday and Lord's day.' But at last, when the worship of Astarte was rising into the ascendant, steps were taken to get the whole Chaldean Lent of six weeks, or forty days, made imperative on all within the Roman empire of the West. The way was prepared for this by a Council held at Aurelia in the time of Hormisdas, Bishop of Rome [514-523], about the year 519, which decreed that Lent should be solemnly kept before Easter. It was with the view, no doubt, of carrying out this decree that the calendar was, a few days after, readjusted by Dionysius."

Source: The Two Babylons, by Alexander Hislop, second American edition, 1959, published in America by Loizeaux Brothers, pages 106, 107.

Ezekiel 8:14-18
14 Then He brought me to the entrance of the gate of יהוה (yhwh) house which was toward the north; and behold, women were sitting there weeping for Tammuz. 15 He said to me, “Do you see this, son of man? Yet you will see still greater abominations than these.” 16 Then He brought me into the inner court of יהוה (yhwh) house . And behold, at the entrance to the temple of יהוה (yhwh), between the porch and the altar, were about twenty-five men with their backs to the temple of יהוה (yhwh) and their faces toward the east; and they were prostrating themselves eastward toward the sun. 17 He said to me, “Do you see this, son of man? Is it too light a thing for the house of Judah to commit the abominations which they have committed here, that they have filled the land with violence and provoked Me repeatedly? For behold, they are putting the twig to their nose. 18 “Therefore, I indeed will deal in wrath. My eye will have no pity nor will I spare; and though they cry in My ears with a loud voice, yet I will not listen to them.”
Offline dajstill  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2012 2:07:26 AM(UTC)
dajstill

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
What makes Lent so disturbing is that many non-Catholic Christians are also starting to observe Lent. In fact, I have noticed Protestant Christianity conforming more and more to Catholic teachings. It's like they are slowly returning home to the "mother ship" so to speak.
Offline James  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2012 3:02:59 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
dajstill wrote:
What makes Lent so disturbing is that many non-Catholic Christians are also starting to observe Lent. In fact, I have noticed Protestant Christianity conforming more and more to Catholic teachings. It's like they are slowly returning home to the "mother ship" so to speak.

I always give my protestant friends a hard time for celebrating the Catholic Lent, the Catholic Saint Patrick's Day, and the Catholic Saint Valentines Day.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline Daniel  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2012 6:01:46 AM(UTC)
Daniel

dajstill wrote:

The Whore of Babylon is calling her disobedient children home.
Nehemiah wrote:
"We carried our weapons with us at all times, even when we went for water" Nehemiah 4:23b

We would do well to follow Nehemiah's example! http://OurSafeHome.net
Offline FredSnell  
#5 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2012 7:06:44 AM(UTC)
FredSnell

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Whew, sure glad that guy sold his birthright for some lent(il). The same guy the mofo's (muhammeds followers) call the jesus prophet by.