logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Theophilus  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 19, 2012 6:38:35 AM(UTC)
Theophilus
Man

In Yada's Introduction to God, I see that in Psalm 119:127 and 128 'al is rendered God and was wondering if this can be verified?

Quote:
“Therefore (ken) God (‘al), I genuinely and totally love (‘ahab – I have developed a close, personal, affectionate, and abiding relationship with (qal perfect)) the terms and conditions of Your relationship agreement (mitswah – Your authoritative instructions and written directions regarding Your covenant contract) more than (min) gold nuggets (zahab) and more than (min) gold coins (paz).” (Mizmowr / Song / Psalm 119:127)

“Therefore (ken – and likewise) God (‘al), I completely concur with all (yashar kol kol – I consider to be totally correct, compelling, right, moral, pleasing and agreeable (piel perfect which brings all of God’s precepts into play in Dowd’s life)) of Your precepts, those instructions which You have entrusted to us, encouraging us to carefully examine for guidance so that we respond appropriately to You (piquwdym – Your directions which guide our choices, teaching us how to respond correctly and rationally to You). Every (kol) deceptive and misleading way (sheqer ‘orah – mistaken belief and false communication which becomes a popular way of life), I completely abhor and I am genuinely and openly hostile to them (sane’ – I hate and oppose them, I dislike and shun them, I loathe and fight them as a foe – as the Adversary (qal perfect)).” (Mizmowr / Song / Psalm 119:128)

I would have thought that'el would be rendered God? This made me check what online interlinears say and find at:

http://interlinearbible.org/psalms/119-127.htm
http://interlinearbible.org/psalms/119-128.htm

Quote:
'al
is rendered "and"?

In http://www.bible.gen.nz/amos/hebrew/ayin/al.htm I find 'al =

Quote:
עַל `al "upon, because of, against". Most often used in the prophets to indicate those spoken "against".

In Am 1:3ff. it is used three times in each oracle of the reason "for three rebellions, for four... because they...".

The expression עַל־פְּנֵי "across the face of..." is used in the hymn fragments (5:8; 9:6) cf. the similar phrase in 9:8.

Can anyone comment?

Thank you,

-Theophilus

Offline James  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 19, 2012 7:55:24 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
'al can mean Most High, or Highest and can be used as a title for Yahowah, and is a simile for 'el 'elowah 'elohiym meaning Mighty One.

You can look it up it's Strong's number is 5920.

'al ken is usually rendered upon thus, or because of this. Which would probably be the more likely translation in this verse, although Yada's translation is still accurate and doesn't change the meaning of the verse.

Hope this helps.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline Theophilus  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 19, 2012 8:40:42 AM(UTC)
Theophilus
Man

Thanks once again James.

Yes that certainly does help. For me it's becoming a matter of finding which tools to use and to what degree these are relaiable and when.

-Theophilus