logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline shohn  
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 6, 2007 5:34:23 PM(UTC)
shohn

Speaking of fools and folly :)

What is Matt 5:22 really saying?
--
Shohn of Texas
Offline Icy  
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 7, 2007 6:00:10 AM(UTC)
Icy
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
You have to read before and after the verse:

Quote:
Mat 5:21 “You heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not murder,’ and whoever murders shall be liable to judgment.
Mat 5:22 “But I say to you that whoever is wroth with his brother without a cause shall be liable to judgment. And whoever says to his brother, ‘Raka!’ shall be liable to the Sanhedrin. But whoever says, ‘You fool!’ shall be liable to fire of Gehenna.
Mat 5:23 “If, then, you bring your gift to the altar, and there remember that your brother holds whatever against you,
Mat 5:24 leave your gift there before the altar, and go, first make peace with your brother, and then come and offer your gift.
Mat 5:25 “Be well-minded with your opponent, promptly, while you are on the way with him, lest your opponent deliver you to the judge, and the judge to the officer, and you be thrown into prison.
Mat 5:26 “Truly, I say to you, you shall by no means get out of there till you have paid the last penny.

He is talking about living by the law, essentially tell us that it is impossible. If you are living by the law, then to "not murder" includes not having a wrathful anger towards someone without a cause. But, then he goes further and makes it even less harsh sounding than "wroth" to the point that just calling someone a name, "You fool?' is enough to violate the commandment. Then, to make amends, you must present your gift at the alter (offer the proper sacrifice) but you must first make amends with whomever you are angry with. Then he cautions to be careful on the way to making amends, because if something happens (e.g. you die, i.e. are delivered to the judge) then you will be in prison (i.e. Gehenna) until your sentance is paid.

So, he is talking about the futility of living stricly by the law.

Really, you need to read his whole sermon.
Offline shohn  
#3 Posted : Sunday, October 7, 2007 6:49:45 AM(UTC)
shohn

Where does he say it is impossible? I didn't see that. I read the whole thing in the interlinear and it seems like he's saying to put on your best behavior so as not to create stumbling blocks for others. Am I missing something?
--
Shohn of Texas
Offline shohn  
#4 Posted : Sunday, October 7, 2007 7:05:20 AM(UTC)
shohn

By the way, not saying that what you're saying isn't in there, I'm just not seeing it. I'll ask for more guidance on this one - maybe I'm just blind to it right now.
--
Shohn of Texas
Offline Ruchamah  
#5 Posted : Sunday, October 7, 2007 7:34:20 AM(UTC)
Ruchamah

hey Shohn,
I agree it SEEMS like an odd passage but the key i think is here:
Quote:
is wroth with his brother without a cause
. If u are calling someone a fool with no CAUSE...be careful!

The Scripture defines SIN as transgression of the LAW. Yeshua told people to *SIN no more*, ie, qwit breaking Torah! If He told us we could stop breaking Torah, maybe we should believe Him. Torah is NOT impossible, nor is it futile: we are commanded by the Messiah to stop breaking His commands. If the women taken in adultery was expected to keep Torah, I cant see how we can suggest that it is impossible. The Torah was spoken from the mouth of the Almighty: to suggest that it is futile or impossible to keep His words seems like we are making Him a meanie. lol

He gave us the Ruach haKodesh to empower us to live holy lives, to give us the ability to NOT break Torah, imo.

Shalom,
Ruchamah

1Jn 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome.
If you are going to walk on thin ice, you might as well dance.
Offline Icy  
#6 Posted : Sunday, October 7, 2007 9:13:25 AM(UTC)
Icy
Man

Okay, "impossible" was the wrong word. I did just wake up when I wrote that.

Nevertheless, it may not be impossible to live by the law (well, now adays it is, what with no temple and all), but I still believe that he is equating what is in our heart to the law. To be angry at someone without cause is akin to murder, thinking lustfully about someone is akin to adultry. It is not impossbile, but it is certainly difficult.
Offline shohn  
#7 Posted : Sunday, October 7, 2007 9:14:23 AM(UTC)
shohn

As far as breaking the commandments, I read somewhere that the concept of breaking the law may have been a bit different then. Something like "treading it underfoot" vs. guarding it as opposed to our modern way of thinking. If I relate it to a speed limit, perhaps this means don't worry about going 1 or 2 or 5 miles over the limit, but if you are doing 120 MPH you're gonna land in jail. Then there are some elements of the law which are weightier. Don't murder people for example.

So in saying that Torah is not impossible, that implies that I may need a few goats and lambs to sacrafice and need to start stoning people who get out of line. To further this line of thought, it seems like Paul was noted as making sacrafices in the Temple to get 5 people out of their Nazarite vow somewhere in Acts. Perhaps the stoning violations only applied as long as the skepter was still in their hands and there was a physical temple around? I recall it being written somehwere that we were to listen to every word that comes from his (the prophet like Moses to come at a later time) mouth in the law/prophets. I can't remember the exact reference, but perhaps since that was part of Torah - it built in an automatic legal bridge to allow Yahshua to provide a correct interpretation of the law going even going so far as to eliminate certain aspects such as the ol' stoning. Yahshua also corrected the making the Torah of no account by the Pharisees.

So by sin no more, by even so much as becoming angry in your heart without cause you have sinned with this new definition provided by Yahshua. Perhaps what He is saying goes beyond that, in that all of us are going to "break" the law, therefore maybe you should focus less on what everyone else is doing wrong and more on what you are doing wrong, which I think would tie into what Icy may hav have been saying.

Fortunately we are no longer under the penalty of the law, eh?

Gehenna - is that an idiom for something? Yes I know about the valley and all that, but what did that mean to the people he was talking to? Was it more than just a garbage dump?

Also, what I find curious is it seems like in at least English versions, the focus words seem to state "commandments, statutes, and ordinances" in the OC whereas in English versions of the RC it seems to just be commandments. Not sure if this is a translation problem or just emphasis or twisting by English translators.
--
Shohn of Texas
Offline shohn  
#8 Posted : Sunday, October 7, 2007 9:32:00 AM(UTC)
shohn

Shalom!

Ruchamah,

FYI - the intent of my message earlier was to help define what is meant by not "breaking the law". I know you have already thought about the temple being gone, etc., so I guess what I'm asking is what is considered the law - is it everything in the OC except where there was an example of Yahshua overriding, or where the law can no longer be kept, or is met spirtually through the atoning sacrafice.

Is it that simply we do our best and continue to advance along the path provided by the Torah?
--
Shohn of Texas
Offline Icy  
#9 Posted : Sunday, October 7, 2007 10:02:52 AM(UTC)
Icy
Man

Shohn, that is what I was trying to get at.

Offline Ruchamah  
#10 Posted : Monday, October 8, 2007 6:47:04 AM(UTC)
Ruchamah

heyas Shohn,

I think we bring our assumptions about the word *law* with us, and it can confuse things...It really means instructions. If you want to get somewhere, and u have a route lined out for yourself, but miss one of the turns, well, your trip-time is going to be lengthened, not because u were EVIL, but because u missed the correct turn. I think it is more like that: The Torah is given to us to show us how to live uprightly before Him, how to do it successfully and how to bring blessing to the world He has given us.

Sin, is kinda like taking the wrong turn: the only way to fix it is to RE-TURN back to where we made the error (repentence) and start again. Will we make wrong turns? You bet we will, but the option of re-turning is always available to us, re-turning and getting it right.

Zacharias and Elizabeth were considered righteous in all His commandments etc. Did they NEVER make a wrong turn? I am sure they made a few, just like you and I, but they lived it out BY FAITH. Only faith in Him makes ANYONE righteous, from Adam to today. But that faith is walked out and demonstrated in our obedience to the *map* He has given us.

Great discussion, btw!
Ruch
If you are going to walk on thin ice, you might as well dance.
Offline shalom82  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, October 9, 2007 5:43:47 PM(UTC)
shalom82

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I have to say that Ruch made a very simple and...good point in his last post. We can't abide by all of the Torah, at least to the letter and literal practice, but even those that we can't physically observe still are "observed" in a spiritual sense and have relevance to the overall message. It is still the path that we walk to get to the narrow gate and we do stray from the path..all of us, but that path is still there to come back to.

Yahuweh redeemed Israel out of Egypt as a freewill offering given graciously from his heart. THEN he gave them as a collective body the Torah at Sinai on Pentecost.

If Yahuweh first redeemed Israel out of the goodness and love in his heart for them and then gave them Torah, I don't really see that the Ekklesia (which =qahal (as was used in the Covenant scriptures for assembly) is any different.

I really think that in most of Paul's letters we see a simple concept that is missed in the milleu of men and religion. I could be wrong but this is what I see emerging over and over again in Paul's letters concerning grace and salvation....
Don't try to pull the horse of salvation with the cart of Torah.

Just to make sure I am understood....
Don't put of the cart of Torah before the horse of salvation

I think that pretty much sums it up for me.

I think things are getting too complicated sometimes and I don't know if I am correct or not but I see 2 schools emerging on Israel/Torah
one is the Yada school and the other is the KP school, I may be wrong, but from what i have read that's what I get from it.

If Abraham was indeed a gentile saved by faith and his offspring went on to become Israel and recieve the Torah, and Caleb, Urriyah, Obadyah, and Ruth, became Israel I don't see how Gentiles now are different.

Torah is for all of the assembly,...for the native born and the stranger

Shalom
YHWH's ordinances are true, and righteous altogether.
Offline shohn  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, October 9, 2007 6:58:13 PM(UTC)
shohn

I think I pretty much agree, based on what I know at this juncture, with what has been said for the last two to three posts in this thread. I think we were all more or less saying the same thing. I guess that's why it's called a "walk" eh?

The cart behind the horse makes sense or stated another way is it like trying to get the tail to wag the dog :)

I enjoyed this discussion. What is kind of neat, is I used to think that Paul and Yahshua were in conflict at times, but the more I understand this stuff, the more it seems like they were actually saying the same thing just in a different manner once you start to get the "gist" or principals behind their reasoning, which funny enough, seems to be based on understanding Torah! Well as far as I can tell at this point!

--
Shohn of Texas